Butler up, Depaul Down | The Boneyard

Butler up, Depaul Down

Reaction Score
I was impressed with Butler's ability to score when they played us. They have now beaten Depaul. It makes you wonder what's going on in Depaul. It seems to be putting them on the NCAA bubble. And Butler has found themselves too late to make the tournament. The Big East may only get two teams invited to the dance.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
DePaul really stumbled through the end of the season, right on out of the top 25 after this loss I’m afraid.

Reaction Score
DePaul ranked all year. No way they not in field. I do wonder what is going on though.

Reaction Score
And potentially, your "NEW" # 3 seed in the upcoming Big East Tournament. The Seton Hall Pirates, led by "AEH" and Lauren Park Lane. Who would have thought that ????

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I was rooting for Hall to make the Big Dance. Their recent loss to Creighton might have put them on the wrong side of the bubble, but beating SJU today and a win in the BET might do it. However, if seeds hold, they may need to beat Marquette to make the NCAA's. I guess a lot depends on what the other bubble teams do, and if there are any upsets in conference tourneys for teams who make it but didn't win their tourney...

Reaction Score
I was rooting for Hall to make the Big Dance. Their recent loss to Creighton might have put them on the wrong side of the bubble, but beating SJU today and a win in the BET might do it. However, if seeds hold, they may need to beat Marquette to make the NCAA's. I guess a lot depends on what the other bubble teams do, and if there are any upsets in conference tourneys for teams who make it but didn't win their tourney...
I, too, have been rooting for Seton Hall to make the big dance (for "Ossining Reasons"). Yes, it will take being the # 3 seed, winning their 1st game of the BE Tournament, and giving Marquette a tough game to possibly get in. As for DePaul, today's loss may have just cost them a ticket to the Big Dance.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
DePaul has been an all out offensive team in recent years which makes them dangerous when they hit their threes, but can make them look really bad when they are not shooting well or run into a team that plays them tough defensively. Louisville and TA&M were happy to outgun them earlier and Butler was shooting hot tonight 54/46/91 is a great shooting line and will win you a lot of games especially when you put up 22 threes, and more especially when your opponent puts up 35/27/83 with 37 threes.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
And Butler has found themselves too late to make the tournament.
With the win they "improved" to 3-16. Let's not descend into the ridiculous here. It's a bad loss for DePaul, but I don't think we can declare that Butler is arriving as a program.

Reaction Score
Lost 3 of 4 including Creighton & Butler.
And now have a dreaded Quad 4 loss.
Resume is comparable to ND, which is considered on the bubble.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
DePaul ranked all year. No way they not in field. I do wonder what is going on though.
Rankings don't matter though for NCAA selection. NET rankings had them at 56 before today and they're sure to drop many spots with an abysmal loss to Butler who is 290 out of 343. DePaul was a 9 seed according to Creme before today, so they should drop to a 10/11. They're probably still on the right side of the bubble but a QF loss in the BE tournament and strong showings by other bubble teams could knock them out of the tournament. Arguably the worst loss of the season by any likely tournament team.

Reaction Score
Question to the "smart ones" on this board. Now that the NCAA has switched to the NET Rankings...am I to assume all top 64 teams on this list "should/will" make it in the big dance? If I learned anything from past 30+ years there will be teams in top 64 that will be disappointed come Selection Monday.

Reaction Score
Rankings don't matter though for NCAA selection. NET rankings had them at 56 before today and they're sure to drop many spots with an abysmal loss to Butler who is 290 out of 343. DePaul was a 9 seed according to Creme before today, so they should drop to a 10/11. They're probably still on the right side of the bubble but a QF loss in the BE tournament and strong showings by other bubble teams could knock them out of the tournament. Arguably the worst loss of the season by any likely tournament team.
I believe and trust Charlie Creme's opinion, as much as their us actually a real $3.00 dollar bill :confused:

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Tell ya what. UConn Marquette and Depaul belong Seton Hall is good enough to be in too. All 3 can not loose early in the BE tourney if they wanna make it.

Reaction Score
Projecting for the future, some hope our league will continue to get stronger. Certainly some good coaches, particularly if they stay for another few years. At the very least, as we saw last night, UConn getting tested more during the season. Most other team's still on the smaller side and don't give ONO and Edwards much competition, but if 2-3 of these 4 guard teams could recruit some size, things could get more interesting.

Reaction Score
I just read that DePaul's high scorer did not play in the Butler game due to a fluke glute injury. Wonder if she (as well as our own Westbrook) will be able to play in the BE tournament.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I just read that DePaul's high scorer did not play in the Butler game due to a fluke glute injury. Wonder if she (as well as our own Westbrook) will be able to play in the BE tournament.
I think I read she's questionable. It could spell trouble for DePaul if she's not available because round 1 is no slouch in Villanova. I wonder if a loss by DePaul knocks them out of the NCAA's?

Reaction Score
With the win they "improved" to 3-16. Let's not descend into the ridiculous here. It's a bad loss for DePaul, but I don't think we can declare that Butler is arriving as a program.
And you are right, they haven't arrived. They didn't shoot nearly as well in today's loss to Providence and aren't as a dynamic team needed to overcome a poor shooting night. I'm just hoping more teams are improving to make the Big East more like the Big East of old. So far, it doesn't look like UConn has stepped up in it's move to the Big East. It's more like a step sideways.

Reaction Score
If it's ok with some posters, I would like to give this year a pass, for obvious reasons. I'm thankful games actually took place this season. Hopefully next season will be a "typical" basketball season. Start season with an official "First Night" celebration, exhibition games (how I've missed these games), no cancellations/postponements, no pauses, full OOC schedule of games, did I mention games with actual fans?...que the music, '..these are a few of my favorite things'

Last edited:

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
And you are right, they haven't arrived. They didn't shoot nearly as well in today's loss to Providence and aren't as a dynamic team needed to overcome a poor shooting night. I'm just hoping more teams are improving to make the Big East more like the Big East of old. So far, it doesn't look like UConn has stepped up in it's move to the Big East. It's more like a step sideways.
The tough teams big east of old are no longer in the Big East. Sideways is optimistic

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom