Butler Postgame Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Butler Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
So here’s a question for the BY. Is there another freshman PF in the country playing any better than Aaliyah right now?
I would like to call for a moratorium on calling our freshmen freshmen. I proclaim that the modifier no longer applies.
Is there a PF in the country, possibly including WNBA, that can run the floor as well as Aaliyah? Maybe Pheesa?
How about future matchups with Aliyah? (maybe even later this year) Tell you what, "girlfriend" better get in shape.

Reaction Score
This was a very good win against a hot shooting team. These things are going to happen. Early on Butler surprised UConn with how deft they were from the arc. From the 2nd period on UConn played much tougher on the perimeter. UConn looked their best when they picked up the pace at the end of the 3rd period. Here they looked like a championship team. They played tough defense on the perimeter, switched like demons and denied anything off the dribble. Once they got the ball they pushed to the rim and ran the lane like hellions.

Yes AE played a treat and was a beast inside all night. Yes Evina finally hit some shots, and I hope this gets her going offensively. I was so happy for her. Yes Nika hit some three's and made some great passes. Yes, CW played well on both ends. This was one of her best defensive games. And Paige had eyes in back of her head on some of those assists.

But.

But oh my did Nika play matador defense all night, and off the ball she had issues in and around screens. For the second straight game Paige's on ball defense was poor, and she was consistently schooled off the dribble. Again. And 95% of Paige's missed shots over the last 3 games have been short. That to me screams tired legs. Freshmen have more than just a new school, a new system and new teammates to figure out. The fact is most freshmen have poor sleeping habits, poor dietary habits and poor practice habits. Now I don't think Paige has poor practice habits at all, but I think she still has much to learn about how to care for her body, and to me, it's starting to show. That for me is very much a part of the freshmen wall.

But.

Again, a good win against the type of team that had nothing to lose and was hot from the arc. As someone mentioned in the game thread, this is the type of thing that happens time and again in the NCAA's. Teams need to see this type of stuff and figure it out in order to win a championship.

I wonder if Nika is playing off because she is worried about all the foul calls she was getting at the beginning of the year. She needs to find that fine balance between being super aggressive & fouling.

Reaction Score
Paige probably should have had close to 20 assists if her teammates made more shots. Also Paige should have scored 30+ points if she had normal shooting day. Paige is probably not satisfied with how she played today. ?
UConn was 25 for 42 on 2 pointers and shot 40% from 3. Kind of unreasonable to expect more than that, there is a law of averages effect.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
It’s ok since she didn’t take really any bad ones. She basically shot mostly wide open threes when the ball swung to her against the zone late in the shot clock, but wasn’t knocking them down. Maybe one in the first half was a little quick (not the one with 45 seconds left when she was going two for one). Sort of a bummer she didn’t shoot a little better, or she would have had close to 30+15.

The other interesting statistical thing, she had 14 assists and 1 turnover. The 1 turnover was the first play of the game when she kicked it to the corner and Nika wasn’t there any more. Not really Nika’s fault, since she had to think about balancing the floor for transition defense when Paige drove - just one of those plays that happen once in a while when one player zigs when the other thinks zag.
So it looks as though Paige now is 49-99 on threes, just a smidge under .500.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
So here’s a question for the BY. Is there another freshman PF in the country playing any better than Aaliyah right now?
Caitlin Clark.
Oops, that's a completely different thread(s) somewhere here. :rolleyes: :)

Reaction Score
UConn was 25 for 42 on 2 pointers and shot 40% from 3. Kind of unreasonable to expect more than that, there is a law of averages effect.
UConn women’s BBall fans unreasonable? Say it ain’t so!!!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Paige probably should have had close to 20 assists if her teammates made more shots. Also Paige should have scored 30+ points if she had normal shooting day. Paige is probably not satisfied with how she played today. ?
I don't know, when your teammates shoot 57% it is a little hard to complain about missed shots, especially when you yourself are shooting 38% for the game! Think of all the assists she cost her teammates! :eek:

Reaction Score
Great effort by Butler! They were raining 3's. Edwards is a monster under the boards, totally relentless. I would like to see some of that rub on Liv. When was the last time you saw a player have 20 points, and 14 assists, and not play his/her best game?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Piath's spin move to a lefthand layup--She will get meaningful minutes next year. Few on the board agree with me but there is too much talent and size there to be keep on the bench.
That play got the most enthusiastic reaction from UConn’s bench, and I strongly suspect that Jamelle was smiling broadly.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Boston can’t run the floor like Edwards, but Edwards can’t block shots like Boston. One is a classic PF while the other is a classic center. Apples and Oranges.
Good think Oranges are better. ;)

Reaction Score
Kudos to Butler for a gutsy game!!

This is a Covid team, i.e., they had sicknesses and couldn't get their act together for weeks. This is not a 2-win team. Indeed, I have yet to see any team in the Big East that is intimidated by UConn. They've all played us aggressively. I suspect that the top teams in this league are underrated by the polls.

Reaction Score
Passing and shooting practice. The defense was so so. Marquette will be a better test. Paige is a great passer and fun to watch. It gets contagious. Aaliyah and Nika are gaining more confidence. Evina needs to score makes us more dangerous.

This Butler team's three-point shooting is for real. It wasn't a couple of lucky shots. They shot lights-out all night from three. Impressive!

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
This Butler team's three-point shooting is for real. It wasn't a couple of lucky shots. They shot lights-out all night from three. Impressive!

Yeah, they hit threes but not usually this many. And our 3pt % ended up better than theirs tonight.

Reaction Score
Aaliyah Edwards had an Aliyah Boston type game today.

Actually, I think she played way better than Boston usually plays. Edwards is far more versatile, very fast down the court, and is infinitely better integrated in the team's offense than is Boston. I read that Edwards was a track star in high school. Not sure what event she did, but her runs down the court are truly impressive.

At the very least, national all freshman team. But she should be in the conversation for AA. This year!!

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Actually, I think she played way better than Boston usually plays. Edwards is far more versatile, very fast down the court, and is infinitely better integrated in the team's offense than is Boston. I read that Edwards was a track star in high school. Not sure what event she did, but her runs down the court are truly impressive.

At the very least, national all freshman team. But she should be in the conversation for AA. This year!!

I agree. You won't see Boston race down the floor and follow up those shots like AE does. Boston lumbers down the floor.

Reaction Score
I agree. You won't see Boston race down the floor and follow up those shots like AE does. Boston lumbers down the floor.

Boston played well few years ago in the USA team. I just think that SC doesnt put her play in the right way. Maybe SC gives more attention to their PG/SG and diminish Boston's role.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom