Butler Postgame Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Butler Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
what I liked about Evina was when that Butler player and her were fighting for the ball under the basket, the Butler player grabbed the ball finally and attempted to get off a shot and Evina slammed it out of bounds and had a opissed off look after that play....Definitely badass award!!
I'll say this. When Evina made similar plays while she was at TN, several posters on here were suggesting that she may be... "an unsportsmanlike player." I seen her react that way a few times, and I dont think it's malicious. It's just a good play. Badass is subjective, and so is unsportsmanlike I guess.

I'm not accusing you of being one of those posters. But there were a few

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
We've been 'gleaning' things from heavy-handed blow outs for most of the past 25 years. The players and staff know what the standards are and Geno came across as pretty satisfied tonight. The mantra is usually 'we measure ourselves against ourselves' and, in truth, when a Geno team is clicking, the opposition rarely matters. Based on this Butler game, I think they're coming into the Tennessee game in good shape. Those of you that feel like the game wasn't worth playing, or watching, are probably not paying close enough attention.

Reaction Score
We've been 'gleaning' things from heavy-handed blow outs for most of the past 25 years. The players and staff know what the standards are and Geno came across as pretty satisfied tonight. The mantra is usually 'we measure ourselves against ourselves' and, in truth, when a Geno team is clicking, the opposition rarely matters. Based on this Butler game, I think they're coming into the Tennessee game in good shape. Those of you that feel like the game wasn't worth playing, or watching, are probably not paying close enough attention.

Well, good for you. Maybe you should measure yourself against some “standards” and understand people have differing opinions on things. Also I missed the posts where anyone said the game wasn’t worth playing or watching, just varying opinions on the conclusions one could “glean” from the contest.

Reaction Score
Just finished watching the reply. My 2 cents on Guard play:

Poor competition but some things still translate against better competition. Some things will not. We need a game against top competition!

PB – I originally thought it was a quiet game but yet a very good floor game. yeah right—13 pts, 8 assists, 5rbs and 4 steals and it seems like a quiet game?? Any other player, I would be exuberant with praise. That is the price of high expectations.

Showed some really nice perimeter defense and moved her feet very well. The quality of Butler doesn’t matter, they still have quick guards and PB had no problem staying in front of them. Big improvement. We will need this down the road against guards who are not only quick but can hit the shots as well. Terrific passes to CW to get open threes. This is what a good point guard can do for you – help get others open shots.

CW – stayed with it after missing shots early. Was Geno trying to get her confidence back by letting her shot the Tech FT instead of PB? Hit some threes later on with NO hesitation. She needs to just play and not over think it! I still don’t think she is a very good perimeter defender and this worries me against top teams. Gets to the hoop…needs to finish better and/or draw the foul. Good game.

EW - putting together consistent all around performances each and every game. Movement looks better and better. Defense is better and I’m talking about movement not the block. Has some nasty to her which I think GA likes. I am starting to get the feeling that she can consistently give us a 12pts a game or even more if she catches fire. Getting better and better. Having PB helps and PB having EW helps too. I don’t think she has a left hand to finish at the hoop.

Excellent crossover penetration with skip pass for open three from PB. That is very encouraging! I’m really noticing her more and more. Can she continue against top competition?

NM – hip hip hooray!!! Three pointer is good from NM. Now some of you will tell me she has only hit one! Well, you got to hit one first in order to hit two and so on. Congrats to NM!! She does need to work on her layups!! She is over-thinking it – too rushed and putting it too high on the glass worried about the block. Drew a charge call that was not called but instead called on her…player clearly pushed off. Got beaten badly once when she stopped moving her feet. Was she crying on the side lines? Great pass to AG on the break. Nice response after getting her A** chewed by GA.

Reaction Score
My 2 cents on post play:

AG – Love that she got the start – long overdue in my view! Geno constructed plays where she fakes the screen and then posts/rolls to the hoop instead. Nothing for free when she is in. Challenges every pass, full court all the time. Incredible stamina. Wait…did I see AG hit a foul line jumper?? That now makes TWO games in a row she has hit a jumper. Ok, it wasn’t the most natural jumper. She definitely wanted to take it to the hole and last year she would have….there is progress there. Next step, shoot more without hesitation and make them.

Rushed the 3 pointer then the next time she hesitated when she didn’t need to. She is still learning when to just shoot without hesitation and when not to shoot. She is dead straight on them though, just short.

Extremely quick and long first step…very rare to have both. Had a ‘phantom’ foul or two called on her. Refs aren’t used to this level of harassment without blowing the whistle…It’s just not fair to the other team when AG is in the game!

Can we also end the debate over whether she knows the offense? She set screens, rolled to the basket, made terrific quick passes to Liv based on perfect timing, etc, no hesitation. It is still not the most comfortable thing for her, but yeah, she knows the offense and continues to get better. Still thinking sometimes but it is coming together. Makes an impact EVERY single time she is on the court. Can she do the same against top competition?

Liv- good game but expected. Did she ever get a RB? Being more careful when swinging the elbow. Taking jumpers and hitting some. That is huge in my mind so the defender can’t sag off her. Loses RBs to AG. I’ve noticed a couple times she didn’t even try for the RB because she knew AG had it. This tells me more about how dominate AG is on the boards!

AE – sometimes doesn’t know what to do with the ball deep in the paint. Over-thinking it. Getting active and still putting it together. Saw her take it to the hoop and missed, but the move was explosive! Good sign.

AM – didn’t check in until early in 2nd Qtr. Good floor game. Didn’t shoot it once but still was good in my view. Only counted one time when she should have stroked it.

MM- looked good on defense. Energetic!

Reaction Score
I feel sorry for those not wanting to watch a "high school team" or "mediocre middle school team". Come this weekend and if the Georgetown game does go as scheduled, a suggestion would be to copy this thread and just rename Butler to Georgetown. ;)

Reaction Score
Nika just didn't miss an assignment her player blew by her with the ball (it happens to all of them) but then she gave up! Literally & noticeably gave up! Geno yanked her and lit into her because he does not coach effort and that lack of effort hurts him to his core. Nika recovered nicely once he put her back in the game. The remarkable part is he put her back in the game-he is getting soft :D
Love Nika's enthusiasm but she had missed other defensive assignments prior to the issue that set Geno off. She has a reputation for being a tough defender but her foot speed has been off - most guards seem to be able to get by her. Will stay patient and hope that her issues are a result of the many transitions she is going through as well as potentially a lingering injury.

Reaction Score
Nika just didn't miss an assignment her player blew by her with the ball (it happens to all of them) but then she gave up! Literally & noticeably gave up! Geno yanked her and lit into her because he does not coach effort and that lack of effort hurts him to his core. Nika recovered nicely once he put her back in the game. The remarkable part is he put her back in the game-he is getting soft :D
Love Nika's enthusiasm but she had missed other defensive assignments prior to the issue that set Geno off. She has a reputation for being a tough defender but her foot speed has been relatively slow - most guards seem to be able to get by her. Will stay patient an
Her lateral movement was insanely quick...i noticed her D as well.
Similar to Audrey, Paige has very long arms. Seems like the person she is guarding consistently underestimates the amount of ground she can cover.

Reaction Score
We all do. She's thousands of miles away from her family and alone except for her team. She was visibly upset and
I think a part of that besides Geno's criticism is that she is very intense and tries so very hard and has been struggling through injuries this year which have held her back. She did well tonight when she went back in as you knew she would. She is a very good player and a great teammate and at some point real soon we are going to see real growth and development by her.
I remember a game where Nika came out of her seat and reached out to comfort Anna after an earful from Geno.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
So I just watched the replay of the play where Nika got yanked and chewed out by Geno. Some people here said that Geno was pissed because she did not show any effort and give up on that play. I probably don't know enough basketball to judge but I guess I did not see it that way. Looks to me like she got beat but the Butler player was driving right into where Mir was defending so Nika ran out to try to defend another player but she seems to get lost. I did not see no-effort there. We can all speculate why Geno was mad, but we will never know. The play in question was at the 1:50 mark left in Q3.
This is more than speculation because Nika had been playing well up until this point. UCONN was in man to man defense. On the prior play she got beat with a pass to the baseline and she turned her back. On the next play she easily got beat and then she left her man to go to the other side of the floor aka she gave up. In man to man defense you are supposed to lock and trail if you get beat. She turned her back and ran to the other side of the floor aka unacceptable effort. You can tell Geno was pissed because he called a time out when the ball was in Nika hands. You can also see Geno motion to get her out of the game before calling the time out. Missed layups and lack of effort are two things that draw Geno ire like this. I posted ad nauseum about Nika lack of defense technique- her defensive technique is really really bad. Geno will accept the bad technique for a while but that lack of effort will make him explode.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Love Nika's enthusiasm but she had missed other defensive assignments prior to the issue that set Geno off. She has a reputation for being a tough defender but her foot speed has been off - most guards seem to be able to get by her. Will stay patient and hope that her issues are a result of the many transitions she is going through as well as potentially a lingering injury.
There is no evidence of a lingering injury and the injury was to her foot. There is ample evidence of very very poor defensive techniques which includes both her hands and feet. That reputation of being a tough defender needs to be revisited. I'll be blunt! Geno would have been happier if Nika had fouled that girl that blew by her, at least then Geno would know that Nika was trying.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Strikes me that "macerate" is a cruel, derogatory and mocking word when used this way and it is very unUConn fan like and should not be repeated.
What does this mean?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
What does this mean?
Perhaps I should have addressed the poster who first used the term in referring to Anna. You used it in reply to defend the object of his post. But it's not a flattering nick name. " 1. to cause to waste away by or as if by excessive fasting."

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Perhaps I should have addressed the poster who first used the term in referring to Anna. You used it in reply to defend the object of his post. But it's not a flattering nick name. " 1. to cause to waste away by or as if by excessive fasting."
From his response I believe that was the way he thought her name was spelled. He mentioned spellcheck in a later post.

Reaction Score
I have a distinct recollection of Kia Nurse being visibly in tears on the bench in one blowout game (more obviously than Nika tonight). The team was leading by about 40 points, and she had played well but shot horribly, and failed to score. Geno took her out and put her back in several times, but her shot never fell. Looking at her on the bench, she clearly felt that she had contributed nothing to the victory, which was wrong -- she contributed in many ways other than scoring.

Geno was not sympathetic -- he thought it did not reflect well on her that she was focused on herself and failed to appreciate or enjoy the team's overall good performance.

And I recall Diana Taurasi cried at the end of the playoff game her freshman year against Notre Dame when she shot1 for 15, her worst game in her career, and UConn lost. But it wasn't because of what Coach Geno said to her; in fact, Coach Geno comforted her and told her that she was the reason UConn had come this far.

Reaction Score
Did you ever stop and think it was not a "nickname" at all, and simply just the word that Makurat was auto-corrected to?

Reaction Score
There is no evidence of a lingering injury and the injury was to her foot. There is ample evidence of very very poor defensive techniques which includes both her hands and feet. That reputation of being a tough defender needs to be revisited. I'll be blunt! Geno would have been happier if Nika had fouled that girl that blew by her, at least then Geno would know that Nika was trying.
Muhl is struggling with the speed and athleticism of the US game on the defensive end.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom