Butler post game thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Butler post game thread

Reaction Score
The broadcast was very good. Even the reffing, minus a goofy call here and there, was much better.

Clingan was good but dunk more man. Spencer is a killer. Newton and Castle were not good. Both of them look uncomfortable figuring out who runs the offense in the half court sets sometimes. Karaban was not good but gets a pass because of his ankle and because he makes winning plays regardless of whether his shot is falling.

Johnson is somehow both the most foul prone guy on the team and also the guy that gets the toughest breaks on whistles at the same time.

Butler is a good team with a brutal upcoming stretch. If they make the tourney they’ll have not only deserved it but will be a tough out.

Reaction Score
- Spencer is absolutely locked in right now and Clingan just had his way with Butler.

- Hat tip to Thad Matta. Butler has a huge talent gap and he has this team playing hard and smart. They take the punches and just hit right back. Fun group to watch.

- Big fan of Benetti on the call. I’ve watched him do baseball games before and he’s great there too.
Who does he do baseball for? He’s really good

Reaction Score
Tristen seemed off all game. Hopefully he didn’t tweak his ankle too bad. Made a couple big shots near the end.

Tough win against a Butler team on a 4 game winning streak.

No complaints! Get her done boys!

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Well it's a win against a hot team so yeah that's nice.

But our bench needs to get a lot better. Last year our bench players would come in and not just hold a lead but extend it.

Diarra has been solid but we certainly need more from Johnson with 10 minutes, 3 points, 0 rebounds and 3 fouls. How does he just not get any rebounds? It happens most games. Come on big man.

And then nothing else from the rest of the bench. We definitely need someone that can come in and hit a couple dagger threes and maybe someone that can play some lockup D.

We may have the best starting 5 in college basketball, but our bench has yet to step up and be a factor. That needs to change if we want to see another trophy.

Reaction Score
"Their offense is like a great lasagna, there's always a next better layer". The offense always has a plan A, B, C, and D. Butler adjusted really well and jammed it up, but have enough patience and something will open up
  • There was a focus to get Clingan in the deep paint and he took advantage. Post hook looked good, 18pts/14reb/3blk/3ast. Thought he had 4 blocks but I only see 3 on the stats
  • Stewart gave up 1 three to Davis but otherwise played really well defensively in the 1st half. Good hedges, recoveries, switches, and post defense. Always like to shout him out
  • Butler built momentum and then Castle had a 5-0 run in 30 seconds to put us up double digits. They built it again and Cam/Newton had a 5-0 run in 30 seconds to put us up double digits. They built it again and Clingan/AK had a 6-0 run in 36 seconds to put us up double digits.
  • I'm not sure if I saw Cam Spencer sweating once this game, but had 20 points and 4 threes. First time we had a consecutive leading scorer?
What's the record for highest FT% in NCAA history, and how close to it is DJ Davis? 95+%, damn..Great game but Cam/Clingan > Davis/Telfort. Go Huskies!
I believe Connecticut’s own Rocket Rod Foster was 95% one year while playing for UCLA.

Reaction Score

But our bench needs to get a lot better. Last year our bench players would come in and not just hold a lead but extend it.

Diarra has been solid but we certainly need more from Johnson with 10 minutes, 3 points, 0 rebounds and 3 fouls. How does he just not get any rebounds? It happens most games. Come on big man.

And then nothing else from the rest of the bench. We definitely need someone that can come in and hit a couple dagger threes and maybe someone that can play some lockup D.

We may have the best starting 5 in college basketball, but our bench has yet to step up and be a factor. That needs to change if we want to see another trophy.
If there were trades in college basketball, we'd probably trade Ross or Ball for a veteran bench shooter considering how in contention we are.

But oh well. We've got enough to win a title. And we've got plenty in the cupboard for the future, too.

Reaction Score

That's true about last year's bench vs. this year but the starting 5 is better this year. The teams are quite different. I think this is a better team, hopefully they show it in March and April.

Poe

Reaction Score
Not great game, butler played hard and was able to hang around, but the game was never in doubt.

It’s a game of whack-a-mole for opposing coaches - at least 2 out 5 starters are going to torch you, but you have no idea which 2 it’s going to be.

Reaction Score

I think the bench will get some minutes in the next couple of games.

Reaction Score
Surprised it took Matta so long to play through Telfort, he would have made that game hell if he did sooner
To be fair, the guy took 5 more shots than anyone on the floor and only shot 41%. Telfort had some strong takes in the second half but they were smart to play through Davis before Hurley keyed in on him

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Cam and Clingan were good tonight. Everyone else... meh. And we still won pretty comfortably.

Credit to Butler for preventing us from getting a killshot run to pull away.

Butler is a good team, I think they're underappreciated... could see them make the sweet 16 with an upset or two with the right matchups.

Reaction Score
  • I'm not sure if I saw Cam Spencer sweating once this game, but had 20 points and 4 threes. First time we had a consecutive leading scorer?
Newton ruined that streak 2 or 3 games ago

Reaction Score
Tristen played lackluster, Some head scratching fouls by Alex (stay on your feet and stop falling for pump fake) and the Johnson one on 3 on best FT shooter in the country. There were others. We missed some free throws as well. I think this was a grit game but hope to see some improvement next game. While it might sound nitpicky just want to see us maintain that edge.

Reaction Score
What was with the crowd. Seemed like people thought they were watching at a play.
Just got back home. I've defended the civic center for a long time, but we should never play another game in Hartford. The students are silent there now for whatever reason. We're the number 1 team in the country and play half our games on a borderline neutral court. I know the people who don't live in the area and attend games are probably sick of the argument. However, it's gotten worse than the AAC days downtown. I can't articulate how bad it's gotten. If you've been to games this year, you know.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom