Butler looked really good tonight.... She will make a difference against the Gamecocks.... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Butler looked really good tonight.... She will make a difference against the Gamecocks....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As someone who has been critical of Butler's poor hands and apparent unwillingness to leave her feet, I applaud her play last night. She really did play very well and it was quite enjoyable to watch.

Now for the big "however". When she was on offense Natalie was virtually undefended. On defense she looked like the one of the best 5s of all time. (OK, I exaggerate a little.) She had no competition from any USF player inside. Other than their PG and Laksa she was a better basketball player than anyone on the USF team and Laksa only showed up on a few plays.

Jose complained that Laksa is not getting the national recognition she deserves. Yes she, is and she doesn't deserve much. Kia and Gabby, principally, shut her down. When faced with tight defense by excellent defensive players she is just another player. If USF is still the second best team in the AAC, the rest of the AAC schedule is going to be the biggest walkover of all time.

Cheers again to Natalie. I hope she plays as well on 2/13.
Just what I was about to say. I like her effort, hustle, and attitude but the brakes need to be pumped just a little. The Boneyard could've provided better interior defense than USF did.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
It never ceases to amaze me how high her release point is. [on her jump shot]
Her biggest weakness on her jumper, beside her confidence, is she seems at times not to jump straight up, but to be leaning backwards on her shot. Last night however, not once.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Her biggest weakness on her jumper, beside her confidence, is she seems at times not to jump straight up, but to be leaning backwards on her shot. Last night however, not once.
Maybe a little on that 10-footer from the corner after she drained her first two. She was moving away from the basket at any rate.

Reaction Score
I'd just like to see some space between her feet and the floor sometime. She could become a shot blocker.
What is strange is that a good amount of "bigs" don't jump. remember that real good big from Oregon State last year? she did so many good things yet her feet were nailed to floor.

Reaction Score
What is strange is that a good amount of "bigs" don't jump. remember that real good big from Oregon State last year? she did so many good things yet her feet were nailed to floor.
Come to think of it, Dolson didn't jump much, or am I mistaken?

Reaction Score
The SFU game was by far Butler's best, IMHO. But I think it's unrealistic to expect that in the face of a couple of reeeeally big opponents, she will have the same kind of night. She needs to effectively guard her opponent, grab some rebounds and be opportunistic with that pretty jump shot.
What no one has mentioned, including me until now, is that there are a half dozen games between SFU game and Coates/Wilson game. Natalie has some games, coaching, and practice to add to her upside.

Reaction Score
I think any time Nat is on the court vs. SC and Coates will be a challenge for her. I think Geno will use her sparingly, presuming he has that luxury. As to the USF game there were a couple of things I liked with Natalie. The objections from last year (mine and others) and early on were her footwork, her hand/eye coordination and lack of soft hands. Last night she was in a position a couple of times where in the past she'd take the extra step (or two) or she'd fumble the ball. Not in the USF game - she was composed and didn't make those same mistakes. So, maybe we've seen Natalie take that next step? (or two)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom