Butler looked really good tonight.... She will make a difference against the Gamecocks.... | The Boneyard

Butler looked really good tonight.... She will make a difference against the Gamecocks....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It was the best I've seen Natalie play because of the way she moved and the confidence she displayed. Her footwork was incredible, and her shot was smooth and sure. We will need her against Coates and Wilson no question. If she plays like tonight, and Saniya too, it will make it much easier for the team the rest of the way.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
What I was most proud of Natalie for was the very quick recovery. Natalie was actually schooled by USF post player on her first two defense attempts after coming into the game. The very next UCONN possession, without hesitation, Natalie splashed a foul line jumper in that same post players face and announced- It's ON!

Reaction Score
We all really like Natalie and are so happy for her that she's been playing more like she wants to. But we mostly need her to play reasonably effective defense against someone her size but stronger and more talented; Alaina Coates. And we won't know how that'll work out until it happens.

Reaction Score
We all really like Natalie and are so happy for her that she's been playing more like she wants to. But we mostly need her to play reasonably effective defense against someone her size but stronger and more talented; Alaina Coates. And we won't know how that'll work out until it happens.
I'd just like to see some space between her feet and the floor sometime. She could become a shot blocker.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While we all tend to focus on the Core-4, in order for this team to win a championship they must have contributions from other players.

The best thing about last nights game was the confidence & consistency that Nat & Saniya played with at both ends of the court. Hopefully Danger can get healthy soon and join the party.

With 7-8 players all playing like they did last night the Huskies are unbeatable. Not by MD, Baylor, SC or any other team, even on their best day.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Alaina Coates is more talented that Natalie in only one respect: she has more of an arsenal of shots to take when she gets the ball in the low block. Other than that, they are extremely similar: big, slow, immobile, can't guard anybody who can move.

I think that is more of a problem for Coates than for Natalie -- who is Coates going to guard in the UConn starting lineup? There isn't one of the 5 starters that she (Coates) can keep in front of her. I'm not sure that Dawn Staley will even be able to leave her in the game if she keeps giving up drives to the basket against whomever she is trying to guard. Or maybe Dawn will decide that they need to play a zone against UConn -- which certainly goes against their inclination and their experience.

It's true that UConn MAY have trouble guarding Coates when the Gamecocks are on offense. But they have faced similar challenges previously against Baylor, Texas, and KSU in particular. If UConn can prevent or steal even 50% of entry passes to Coates while totally dominating her at the other end, they should have a big advantage.

I think UConn's big problem in that game will be to guard A'ja Wilson, not Coates.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Alaina Coates is more talented that Natalie in only one respect: she has more of an arsenal of shots to take when she gets the ball in the low block. Other than that, they are extremely similar: big, slow, immobile, can't guard anybody who can move.

I think that is more of a problem for Coates than for Natalie -- who is Coates going to guard in the UConn starting lineup? There isn't one of the 5 starters that she (Coates) can keep in front of her. I'm not sure that Dawn Staley will even be able to leave her in the game if she keeps giving up drives to the basket against whomever she is trying to guard. Or maybe Dawn will decide that they need to play a zone against UConn -- which certainly goes against their inclination and their experience.

It's true that UConn MAY have trouble guarding Coates when the Gamecocks are on offense. But they have faced similar challenges previously against Baylor, Texas, and KSU in particular. If UConn can prevent or steal even 50% of entry passes to Coates while totally dominating her at the other end, they should have a big advantage.

I think UConn's big problem in that game will be to guard A'ja Wilson, not Coates.
Last year Tuck gave Coates fits at both ends of the court. I'm guessing that Pheesa gets the assignment this year. Pheesa doesn't have Tuck's strength so she will need some help on D, but when UConn is on offense, Coates will struggle to defend Pheesa, particularly away from the basket.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Nat Block.jpg
I'd just like to see some space between her feet and the floor sometime. She could become a shot blocker.
You mean like this.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Most impressive moment for me last night when it comes to Natalie: Close to the end of the first half Natalie got a block and Nurse picked it up and went. Natalie matched her speed to the other end. That underscored for me that Natalie has been busting her butt to become a regular contributor. The shooting didn't surprise me. She has a real feel for/soft touch for those shots.

Reaction Score

I beg to differ Coates may be Big but she's not Immobile and THAT slow. I promise you she's quicker then Butler, Chantel Osahor, and Jones of Maryland. I thought Jones did an okay job guarding Williams but Gabby is extremely quick so yes Alaina will have trouble but don't forget the fact that Coates and Wilson are prime time shot blockers so every drive isn't going to come easy.

Reaction Score
Last year Tuck gave Coates fits at both ends of the court. I'm guessing that Pheesa gets the assignment this year. Pheesa doesn't have Tuck's strength so she will need some help on D, but when UConn is on offense, Coates will struggle to defend Pheesa, particularly away from the basket.

I think Geno would favor Gabby on Coates then Collier. She has drawn the assignment of guarding every teams "big" so I doubt he switches but if Collier does happen to guard Coates do you think Williams will guard Wilson? That would be an intriguing matchup.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think Geno would favor Gabby on Coates then Collier. She has drawn the assignment of guarding every teams "big" so I doubt he switches but if Collier does happen to guard Coates do you think Williams will guard Wilson? That would be an intriguing matchup.
Wilson plays out on the floor more than Coates, so I would put Gabby on Wilson & Pheesa on Coates, but Geno may have a different idea.

Reaction Score
It was the best I've seen Natalie play because of the way she moved and the confidence she displayed. Her footwork was incredible, and her shot was smooth and sure. We will need her against Coates and Wilson no question. If she plays like tonight, and Saniya too, it will make it much easier for the team the rest of the way.
The running layup after the feed from Sanyia was one for highlight reels. I didn't think she had it in her!! Butler assertiveness (brutality) under the boards was what Geno has been looking for. The sweeping turn for easy score, the two or three top of the key (inside) for accurate and easy scores--her teammates fed her and they trusted her to score.
I won't anoint her the second coming just yet but four or five more games in double figures, and rebounds--I'll jump on the band wagon. She CAN do it--she has to force that NICE personality to get MEAN!!

I agree if they Both plays as they did against USF (a good team) the final four will be a reality!!

Reaction Score
The running layup after the feed from Sanyia was one for highlight reels. I didn't think she had it in her!! Butler assertiveness (brutality) under the boards was what Geno has been looking for. The sweeping turn for easy score, the two or three top of the key (inside) for accurate and easy scores--her teammates fed her and they trusted her to score.
I won't anoint her the second coming just yet but four or five more games in double figures, and rebounds--I'll jump on the band wagon. She CAN do it--she has to force that NICE personality to get MEAN!!

I agree if they Both plays as they did against USF (a good team) the final four will be a reality!!
The SFU game was by far Butler's best, IMHO. But I think it's unrealistic to expect that in the face of a couple of reeeeally big opponents, she will have the same kind of night. She needs to effectively guard her opponent, grab some rebounds and be opportunistic with that pretty jump shot.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Nat didn't fumble a single pass or rebound last night, and she had a bunch of touches at both ends of the court. She also seemed to know exactly what to do with the ball at all times. There was no hesitation. She played with confidence.

Nat has been working with the best coaching staff in WBB for 2.5 years. I'm hoping it's all coming together for her.

Reaction Score
The SFU game was by far Butler's best, IMHO. But I think it's unrealistic to expect that in the face of a couple of reeeeally big opponents, she will have the same kind of night. She needs to effectively guard her opponent, grab some rebounds and be opportunistic with that pretty jump shot.
Certainly you are right --right now.
The point was with this success--if she builds on it--she will be better. If I go further I'll demean a nice woman Natalie.
I' have written--she is what she is--but that should be amended to say--she can be better --but her body is what it is.
She does not have to overwhelm Coates or Wilson, or the bigs from Baylor. What she HAS to do is--hold the fort--not give up too much ground--while Gabby or Napheesa rests or are out with fouls. She probably won't lead the attack. If she can do that--it is a huge success for Uconn..

Reaction Score
Wilson plays out on the floor more than Coates, so I would put Gabby on Wilson & Pheesa on Coates, but Geno may have a different idea.
Depending upon how Butler comes along--i foresee --in my crystal balls (I have one for each occasion) the possibility, if Natalie builds on the USF game, to put Natalie on Coates and put Gabby at times and Napheesa at times on Wilson, if all 3 are in at once--Gabby fronts Coates, Natalie behind--on defense. On offense use gabby as decoy and drop it off to Natalie down low. 3 options down low . Nat can also pull Coates out to the top of the circle --or score from there. If USC's smaller's are scoring like MD's Slocum---whole new defense==
That's my No John Wooden imitation!!

Reaction Score
Nat didn't fumble a single pass or rebound last night, and she had a bunch of touches at both ends of the court. She also seemed to know exactly what to do with the ball at all times. There was no hesitation. She played with confidence.

Nat has been working with the best coaching staff in WBB for 2.5 years. I'm hoping it's all coming together for her.

Your last 2 sentences are why I have , in the past, posted: she is what she is. But if she can build on the uSF--she can BE ALL SHE CAN BE--and with luck get A FEW GOOD MEN--to show her the way -in practice..

Reaction Score
As someone who has been critical of Butler's poor hands and apparent unwillingness to leave her feet, I applaud her play last night. She really did play very well and it was quite enjoyable to watch.

Now for the big "however". When she was on offense Natalie was virtually undefended. On defense she looked like the one of the best 5s of all time. (OK, I exaggerate a little.) She had no competition from any USF player inside. Other than their PG and Laksa she was a better basketball player than anyone on the USF team and Laksa only showed up on a few plays.

Jose complained that Laksa is not getting the national recognition she deserves. Yes she, is and she doesn't deserve much. Kia and Gabby, principally, shut her down. When faced with tight defense by excellent defensive players she is just another player. If USF is still the second best team in the AAC, the rest of the AAC schedule is going to be the biggest walkover of all time.

Cheers again to Natalie. I hope she plays as well on 2/13.

Reaction Score

Against Coates--if all works as it should--Natalie will not have to be very effective --she'll have to "hold the fort" and not stop Coates but slow her down a bit and maybe make Coates think differently and on offense use her long shot to draw coates away from her rebounding post. Natalie only has to be a very good, confident Natalie--i.e. build on the USF game.
Thanks Bags27 we need to keep sending Confidence vibes to Natalie, thank you.. You notice the more assertive Natalie--at least 2 offensive fouls--and a couple of USF's on their tail bones?? No more nice girly girls on Uconn.

Reaction Score
As someone who has been critical of Butler's poor hands and apparent unwillingness to leave her feet, I applaud her play last night. She really did play very well and it was quite enjoyable to watch.

Now for the big "however". When she was on offense Natalie was virtually undefended. On defense she looked like the one of the best 5s of all time. (OK, I exaggerate a little.) She had no competition from any USF player inside. Other than their PG and Laksa she was a better basketball player than anyone on the USF team and Laksa only showed up on a few plays.

Jose complained that Laksa is not getting the national recognition she deserves. Yes she, is and she doesn't deserve much. Kia and Gabby, principally, shut her down. When faced with tight defense by excellent defensive players she is just another player. If USF is still the second best team in the AAC, the rest of the AAC schedule is going to be the biggest walkover of all time.

Cheers again to Natalie. I hope she plays as well on 2/13.
Exaggerate away--it works for Natalie.

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="BroadwayVa, post: 1984780, member: 6118"

I agree if they Both plays as they did against USF (a good team) the final four will be a reality!![/QUOTE]

After what I saw last night I'm beginning to believe that the final ONE can be a reality. It actually looks like it's all coming together. Funny how that happens so often with Geno's teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom