Busting Brackets: UConn Mt. Rushmore | The Boneyard

Busting Brackets: UConn Mt. Rushmore

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Was Emeka in foul trouble in the first half of the GT game, too; or is he conflating the semi-final against Duke?

Agree with Calhoun and Kemba. Hard to argue with Bazz or Emeka, but also hard not to include anyone from the '99 team (Khalid or Rip).

Reaction Score
Was Emeka in foul trouble in the first half of the GT game, too; or is he conflating the semi-final against Duke?

Agree with Calhoun and Kemba. Hard to argue with Bazz or Emeka, but also hard not to include anyone from the '99 team (Khalid or Rip).
No foul trouble for Okafor against G Tech, he's thinking of Duke.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
No foul trouble for Okafor against G Tech, he's thinking of Duke.
Thanks. I didn't think so, but I don't remember much about the National Championship game other than it feeling like an inevitable march to victory from the tip. The Duke game was a whole 'nother thing. I was there for both, but really never felt like the Ga. Tech game was in doubt.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Thanks. I didn't think so, but I don't remember much about the National Championship game other than it feeling like an inevitable march to victory from the tip. The Duke game was a whole 'nother thing. I was there for both, but really never felt like the Ga. Tech game was in doubt.

Yeah all I remember from that game is that we went on a run in the 1st half to go up big and someone (maybe Rashad?) hit a 3 right at the end of the half to give us a 20 point lead. From that point on we cruised the rest of the way.

Reaction Score
I was at the Ga. Tech MSG debacle at the beginning of the season. I think we all knew they had our attention for the title game and we would win. That team was unstoppable when focused.

Reaction Score
Yeah all I remember from that game is that we went on a run in the 1st half to go up big and someone (maybe Rashad?) hit a 3 right at the end of the half to give us a 20 point lead. From that point on we cruised the rest of the way.
Rashad's was a long two after a full court pass from Okafor. We basically could've picked our score in that game.

borninansonia

Neandertal
Reaction Score
For UConn basketball, the only school to ever win both the men's and women's championships the same year,
the women should be included. I'd list Calhoun, Geno, Kemba and Diana Taurasi

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
For UConn basketball, the only school to ever win both the men's and women's championships the same year,
the women should be included. I'd list Calhoun, Geno, Kemba and Diana Taurasi
Disagree, particularly given the huge success both programs have had. The women should have their own Mt. Rushmore, probably Auriemma, Taurasi, Stewart and Maya Moore but there are a lot to choose from. Sue Bird and Rebecca Lobo can make a good case as well.

Reaction Score
Each program should be able to add an additional player for each NCAA Championship they have won. UConn would get two Mount Rushmores. Just from a UConn point of view, if you chose one player from every championship team, program defining players like Ray Allen and Donyell Marshall are left out. The Mount Rushmore should be for players only. If a program has a coach that should be included, UCLA (Wooden), Duke (K), Kentucky (Rupp), UConn (JC), to name a few, those coaches can be carved into Coach's Rushmore. Left to only 4, I would choose Khalid, Okafor, Kemba and Shabazz. Women's programs deserve their own Rushmores, programs like UConn and Tennessee certainly deserve it. Selling Rushmore Posters could be a way to raise funds for a worthy fund like Jimmy V

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
For UConn, it's a tough call beyond Calhoun. Shabazz technically won two titles, but the first was all Kemba. Ray, Rip and Donyell were among our best players. Okafor belongs, and I don't know how you take Shabazz off, but Rip was a better player and won our first title. If you make it players only, Kemba, Okafor, Rip and Shabazz.

Looked at Kansas. Naismith and Self? Neither of them should be there. Naismith was a lousy coach. Ted Green was good, but if you include a coach, it should be Phog Allen. Wit and Danny Manning are locks. I'd add Clyde Lovelette and Jo Jo White and leave off the coaches.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Every time I think someone other than Bazz should be on the list I remind myself he played big time minutes on TWO NC teams including being the best player in the country and how he kept the program alive and relevant through the sanction year.

really hard to pick 4. I also was outraged when it from Cincinnati to Duke until it dawned on me they must have listed us as UConn.

Reaction Score
Every time I think someone other than Bazz should be on the list I remind myself he played big time minutes on TWO NC teams including being the best player in the country and how he kept the program alive and relevant through the sanction year.

As I said, I think the choice between Rip and Bazz can go either way. Rip was the better player over the courses of their respective careers, but Bazz won two titles. While Rip got us over the hump with our first even Final Four. Take your pick.

Reaction Score
Rip- first title, our only 2 time Big East player of the year, '99 1st team all-American, '98 2nd team all-American, Final Four MOP.

You can't go wrong with any of the four but I probably give Rip the nod as #1 player on our Rushmore. As amazing as Ray is, our Rushmore is Rip, Okafor, Kemba, and Bazz.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think JC, Mek and Kemba are inarguable. You could make a case for either Rip or Bazz to be the fourth. Put poor editing and mistakes aside, his judgment was pretty spot on.
Bazz gets bonus points for the post championship "This is what happens when you ban us" speech.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I realize that this is totally irrational, and that we have had many better players--including on the teams for which he played--but I still feel like Khalid was the "x-factor" we had always been missing, and for that reason he'll always be on my Mount Rushmore for UConn hoops.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
We go through this every year. If we are talking tournaments only, it's Rip, Emeka, Kemba, and Bazz. All of them were MOP's. Full stop.

If you are talking program history, no internet writer has a chance. There are too many guys to pick just four. That's even if you limit yourself to the best of the best and leave out guys like Gordon or Caron. It's like picking the best four NBA players of all time. Can't limit it to 4.

Program Builders: Calhoun, Smith, Henefeld, Donyell

Best Players: Ray, Rip, Donyell, Kemba; leaving out guys like Caron, Emeka, Bazz etc.

Best NBA'rs: Ray, Rip, Drummond, Kemba

Faces of the program: Ray, Emeka, Kemba, Bazz (Calhoun if you include coaches)

Reaction Score
Let's not over think it: Jim Calhoun, Ray Allen, Emeka Okafor, and Kemba Walker.

Yes, I know Ray didn't get a title but he has to be the most prominent Husky at this time, maybe passed by Kemba if he ever brought a title as the leader in Boston.

Women need their own one too.

Reaction Score
I’d replace Emeka with Ray. Ray was the best pure basketball player to come through here

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom