Burton is Ten Toes In on CR | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Burton is Ten Toes In on CR

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Yeah.."wide range of sports"...blah, blah

Does anyone know or really care beyond football when it comes to CR?

Other than some basketball, are folks flooding into sports bars to watch lacrosse, soccer, women's sports?
Football only, really? Syracuse and Pitt are some hot football teams, boy I'll tell you. Especially back when the ACC took them in September 2011, you know, when UConn was just coming off a Big East Championship and Fiesta bowl appearance.

Reaction Score
Football only, really? Syracuse and Pitt are some hot football teams, boy I'll tell you. Especially back when the ACC took them in September 2011, you know, when UConn was just coming off a Big East Championship and Fiesta bowl appearance.

Exactly - add Maryland and Rutgers to your post also! Granted football is down big time (The PP and GDL impacts are lasting!), but there is obviously more to CR than just performance. Otherwise none of the above schools would have got the nod.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yeah.."wide range of sports"...blah, blah

Does anyone know or really care beyond football when it comes to CR?

Other than some basketball, are folks flooding into sports bars to watch lacrosse, soccer, women's sports?
Really, that was all you got out of my post? I'm guessing the verbal portion of the SATs my not have been your strong suit.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Yes, football drives the bus, but you can't forget to tell the rest of the story.

Yeah the point that we need to get across is that we have one of the most beautiful buses in the country, but have been stuck with Ms Crabtree driving it.

Reaction Score
If it's only about football, why would the Big 10 and SEC pass on FSU?

(It was a rhetorical question, no need to answer)

LOL...rhetorical? No answer required? Actually no answer wanted since you can't provide any valids link that the Big Ten passed on FSU.

Reaction Score
FSU
LOL...rhetorical? No answer required? Actually no answer wanted since you can't provide any valids link that the Big Ten passed on FSU.
FSU passed on everybody after careful anaylsis by their consultant...and I provided that link earlier

Reaction Score

OK, if it's only about football as you stated above, answer the following two questions (it's OK to answer this time). 1. Who is better at football, UNC or FSU? 2. Who would the Big Ten prefer to have in their conference, UNC or FSU? Are the names the same? If not, there may be other considerations other than football.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
FSU
FSU passed on everybody after careful anaylsis by their consultant...and I provided that link earlier
FSU's only realistic option was the Big 12, and they likely could have gone, so I'll give you that one.
But the SEC has no interest in FSU (due to overlap in markets and their gentleman's agreement), nor does the B1G (non-contiguous [and not Texas] and not an academic fit). I believe it was E. Gordon Gee said that one ACC school inquired about membership but was declined -- it's widely speculated that that school was FSU.

Be happy with what you have and be considerate to those that don't have much (anymore).

Reaction Score
OK, if it's only about football as you stated above, answer the following two questions (it's OK to answer this time). 1. Who is better at football, UNC or FSU? 2. Who would the Big Ten prefer to have in their conference, UNC or FSU? Are the names the same? If not, there may be other considerations other than football.

How do you (we) know who the Big Ten would prefer?

You can surmise all you want...

Reaction Score
We know that the Big Ten made some decisions not made on football...Maryland (FSU kissed their ugly program goodbye with a historic beatdown) and Rutgers are football fodder....

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
FSU

I'm not going to find your link, but I presume the consultant's careful analysis showed that nobody but the Big12 wanted FSU.

Reaction Score
Nope
I'm not going to find your link, but I presume the consultant's careful analysis showed that nobody but the Big12 wanted FSU.

"Florida State employed a team of analysts, including an outside consultant, to dig up data on the real revenue streams the school might gain by a potential switch in conference affiliation, and the best analysis Barron had at his disposal suggested FSU benefited most from staying put.

"We went through this carefully with all of our trustees -- where the marketplace and where the TV contracts were sitting, where the growth in TV viewerships are likely to be as well as some of the other aspects of the conference," Barron said. "I think you come to the conclusion that the ACC is quite strong in that regard."

Reaction Score
Riddle me this...Why, oh why, would a Florida team want to play in a midwestern league? Conference mates like Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, Rutgers, Michigan, Michigan State...?

Would Michigan want to play in the SEC?

If you are desperate for a home then you can't be picky and you do a West Virginia...if not, you probably don't.

Reaction Score
FSU isn't particularly overjoyed to play Syracuse and Boston College (although Boston is a great town to visit)...

I like conferences based on regional proximity....

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Where exactly was Florida State supposed to go?

The Big 12 looks like an impending tire fire and the Big Ten and SEC have no use for them.

If, down the road, the Big 10 knocks another team or two off the ACC tree, then maybe FSU has to starting dialing the Big 12, but for now, they are where they are.

Reaction Score
Riddle me this...Why, oh why, would a Florida team want to play in a midwestern league? Conference mates like Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, Rutgers, Michigan, Michigan State...?

Would Michigan want to play in the SEC?

If you are desperate for a home then you can't be picky and you do a West Virginia...if not, you probably don't.

We can agree to disagree on this but IMO if the B1G called there is no way FSU turns down double the money plus a chance to affiliate with the academic schools in that league regardless of what the t-shirt fans want

Reaction Score
I don't think the money makes enough difference...Re academics. FSU already rubs shoulders with the Dukies, GT, Virginia and UNC guys.
What exactly, academic wise, would FSU gain by leaving the highest rated academic conference for the second highest?

http://outkickthecoverage.com/us-news-rankings-of-top-six-football-conferences.php

And it is more than T shirt fans that have input....the Boosters are highly inbedded in the BOT. And, yes, it is true that many of us boosters and long. long time fans prefer southern and southeastern rivals.

Reaction Score
FSU isn't particularly overjoyed to play Syracuse and Boston College (although Boston is a great town to visit)...

I like conferences based on regional proximity....
But NYC is a greater CITY to live,work or visit if you prefer nightlife and culture!

Reaction Score
I don't think the money makes enough difference...Re academics. FSU already rubs shoulders with the Dukies, GT, Virginia and UNC guys.
What exactly, academic wise, would FSU gain by leaving the highest rated academic conference for the second highest?

http://outkickthecoverage.com/us-news-rankings-of-top-six-football-conferences.php

Re: academics. . .using your out-dated data, slide #160 Louisville over to the ACC column and the ACC drops to #2. Of course, at the time they didn't list ND with the Big East, although I'm sure ND will show up in the ACC column on new versions.

Having said all that, academically speaking, the ACC is comparable to the Big Ten.

Reaction Score

And it is more than T shirt fans that have input....the Boosters are highly inbedded in the BOT. And, yes, it is true that many of us boosters and long. long time fans prefer southern and southeastern rivals.
Isn't outkickthecoverage owned and run by an ACC alum and fan?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Not sure why we keep going over this - the Big Ten is never going to invite Florida State to join.

You don't have to be Ivy to get into the Big Ten....but you can't be Florida State either.

Reaction Score
FSU just is not a fit with the Big Ten nor the Big 12.....neither conference made any sense whatsoever...did not fit the alumni footprint nor fan interest and added little beyond, maybe, extra dollars.

It was either the SEC or stay in the ACC and help build it.......

Ultimately, as we all knew it would, it came down to the only choice.

Now I am excited by the possibilities. This Saturday will see #3 play #5 in one of the better games of the year...Two great quarterbacks, good defenses, abundant team speed...and, at Clemson, a roaring, out of control crowd.

Y'all (the plural of y'all) tune in....

Reaction Score
Not sure why we keep going over this - the Big Ten is never going to invite Florida State to join.

You don't have to be Ivy to get into the Big Ten....but you can't be Florida State either.

If the B1G had been successful in breaking-up the ACC and got UVA, UNC, and Georgia Tech, along with Maryland, Florida State would have been in play. Florida under that scenario would have been a contiguous state. The potential money of a ‘major’ college football brand along with access to the Florida recruiting market would have been too hard to ignore. Grabbing three top-tier public AAU schools would have allowed the B1G’s presidents to look the other way, as they did for Nebraska. Alas, we will never know, at least for the foreseeable GOR future.

Reaction Score
http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/top-public/spp 50

US News & World Report's latest rankings of top Public Universities...

FSU comes in at #40....ahead of Kansas and Missouri.....If AAU is a factor, that will never happen for FSU. The lack of medical research (FSU's med school was funded specifically to train family physicians vs U of medical research programs) guarantees that. Other factors are a generation away at the best.

But...the FSU BOT was far from having interest in the B1G other than as a liferaft if the ACC imploded (it was viewed as a more hospitable raft than the Big 12). It just did not make any sense to play in a northern league unless it was a last resort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom