Burton is Ten Toes In on CR | The Boneyard

Burton is Ten Toes In on CR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Sussman

My Name isn't really Bill
Reaction Score
XPost from UConn Football:

Burton gave both Manuel and Herbst a vote of confidence, but reiterated what he has said in the past: that UConn needs to be more aggressive in promoting itself to proven collegiate athletic leagues such as the Atlantic Coast Conference or Big Ten. This is the first season in the American Athletic Conference for UConn, a charter member of the Big East.
Now that Pasqualoni is out of the picture, Burton said he would donate money to UConn to hire a full-time person to promote the school's athletic programs to marquee conferences.
"That person should be out there selling the university and should be knowing every (athletic director)," Burton said. "UConn has a lot of opportunity here."

http://www.ctpost.com/uconn/article...aloni-firing-I-told-4857720.php?cmpid=twitter

Reaction Score
If Burton somehow funded our resurrection... I mean...this would be on the level of Darth Vader taking down the emperor. Right? Would he get a statue on campus? Would I name my son Burton?

Reaction Score
You got to love Burton in all this...staying quiet and playing nice with Susan and Warde and now going full speed ahead with PPs ouster. I wouldn't go as far as naming my kid Burton, but I would get a husky with a toupee and name him Burty...and if we get into the BiG, add a statue of him with his hand on the husky statue currently on campus.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
This guy is a corporate raider and one who has been very successful in associating his name with success and good investments. These people don't back projects, especially publicly, without some sort of inside knowledge. The fact that he is so willing to have his efforts and money tied to UConn's conference future leads me to believe that there are talks going on, somewhere, that he has some level of confidence in. There is no way a guy like this wants to publicly tie himself to UConn in conference realignment if he thinks we are doomed forever (like how he didn't want his name/money tied to PP). In fact, it is probably the opposite: he wants to be tied to / take credit for our success - and man will I support that at this point! I have a good feeling here 'yarders!!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This guy is a corporate raider and one who has been very successful in associating his name with success and good investments. These people don't back projects, especially publicly, without some sort of inside knowledge. The fact that he is so willing to have his efforts and money tied to UConn's conference future leads me to believe that there are talks going on, somewhere, that he has some level of confidence in. There is no way a guy like this wants to publicly tie himself to UConn in conference realignment if he thinks we are doomed forever (like how he didn't want his name/money tied to PP). In fact, it is probably the opposite: he wants to be tied to / take credit for our success - and man will I support that at this point! I have a good feeling here 'yarders!!
catintinfoil.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty says:
Definitely. It is clear that a move is on the horizon...well that or Burton is a very wealthy guy with a messiah complex...nah it's the first one, definitely the first one.

Reaction Score
What he says makes me wonder how tied in he is. I know he's very connected to Herbst since she schmoozed him when she came in. BUT, I doubt she tells him the ins and outs of what they are doing. They already had a full-time person for CR. The Courant did an article on that one year ago.

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
I thought that was asprirational. I could be wrong, but I thought there were some hints that we hadn't actually hired that person yet to actively sell us to other conferences (I know someone on her staff "monitors" it).

Reaction Score
I thought that was asprirational. I could be wrong, but I thought there were some hints that we hadn't actually hired that person yet to actively sell us to other conferences (I know someone on her staff "monitors" it).

No, she exists. She's in the president's office, and has been for awhile. She was hired post-debacle.

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
That is good news. But hey, 2 is better than 1 right (especially if Burton acts on his own outside of university / state restrictions).

Reaction Score
What he says makes me wonder how tied in he is. I know he's very connected to Herbst since she schmoozed him when she came in. BUT, I doubt she tells him the ins and outs of what they are doing. They already had a full-time person for CR. The Courant did an article on that one year ago.

The article states that Susan Herbst is sitting on the board of one of his companies. . .

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
No, she exists. She's in the president's office, and has been for awhile. She was hired post-debacle.

I thought we hired a PR person (not necessarily solely for CR). And someone a few months ago posted that based on a convo they had with a UConn insider that we had hired some outside consultants to pitch us to other conferences so that Warde and Susan wouldn't be caught doing so...?

Reaction Score
I thought we hired a PR person (not necessarily solely for CR). And someone a few months ago posted that based on a convo they had with a UConn insider that we had hired some outside consultants to pitch us to other conferences so that Warde and Susan wouldn't be caught doing so...?

It wasn't PR. It was a woman in the President's office.

Reaction Score
Are you talking about her Chief of Staff, Rachel Rubin, or someone else?

http://www.uconn.edu/administration.php

Just remember reading the article in which it was stated that someone in the president's office is devoted full-time to CR. Don't remember the name.

EDIT: Did some searching. It is Rachel Rubin. And in my search, I uncovered a treasure trove of emails. Yowza. This needs a new thread over at CR board.

Reaction Score

nothing wrong with a corporate Raider...

Reaction Score

Just remember reading the article in which it was stated that someone in the president's office is devoted full-time to CR. Don't remember the name.

EDIT: Did some searching. It is Rachel Rubin. And in my search, I uncovered a treasure trove of emails. Yowza. This needs a new thread over at CR board.

Rachel has been Susan Herbst's chief of staff since she was hired. She was not hired post-debacle.

Reaction Score
Have to build a brand to sell.

BYU pushed Texas off of the field this year and rolled past GT....got some notice.

Louisville is on the undefeated run with a top ten ranking.

Going 0-5 doesn't make for much product to sell.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Have to build a brand to sell.

BYU pushed Texas off of the field this year and rolled past GT....got some notice.

Louisville is on the undefeated run with a top ten ranking.

Going 0-5 doesn't make for much product to sell.

Don't be myopic. Yeah, we aren't going to the Rose Bowl (just down the toilet bowl) but the UConn brand is far more than football. Like any marketing effort you pump up where you are strong. Begin with men's basketball, move to the fact that we packed MSG like few other programs can. Move on to TV ratings and markets. Talk about our share of the NYC DMA and then add the Hartford/New Haven DMA. Talk about our reach right up to Maine. (I base that on the fact that we get New England votes in any ESPN poll but I'm sure there are hard numbers somewhere to support that.) Talk about our SNY coverage to bolster our NYC credibility. Mention, but don't harp on, our women's basketball success, including SNY coverage that most men's teams would love to have. Talk about the wide range of sports we have, our soccer success and recent baseball success and our upgrade to hockey. Emphasize our phenomenal academic improvements. That's one heck of a trend line. Finally talk about the outstanding commitment from our legislature.

Yes, football drives the bus, but you can't forget to tell the rest of the story.

Reaction Score
Yeah.."wide range of sports"...blah, blah

Does anyone know or really care beyond football when it comes to CR?

Other than some basketball, are folks flooding into sports bars to watch lacrosse, soccer, women's sports?

Reaction Score

Other than some basketball, are folks flooding into sports bars to watch lacrosse, soccer, women's sports?

It depends on the market.

Reaction Score

If it's only about football, why would the Big 10 and SEC pass on FSU?

(It was a rhetorical question, no need to answer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom