Burden/Shadow of Success | The Boneyard

Burden/Shadow of Success

Reaction Score
Not nearly enough talk, reporting, MB discussion, etc. seems to highlight the massive, borderline overwhelming, perhaps suffocating at times, expectations that are placed on UConn WBB players year after year to win the National Championship & take their respective places re: litany of individual accolades in so doing— given the program’s decorated, pre-eminent, unparalleled title history in the college game: men’s & women’s alike.

This pressure is unique to UConn WBB & a tremendous burden to carry on these players’ backs, even as they sign up for it upon committing to Storrs. They see the banners, the trophies, the tributes adorned— on the practice gym walls, the corridors, Geno’s office, etc. It’s literally omnipresent at Werth & figuratively in their minds. So imposing, in fact, that Geno admitted contemplating removing the banners from the their practice gym.

Every other school— including SC & Stanford— seems to play with a lightness or freedom that only comes without such a heavy, lingering, unrelenting expectation.

Hearing a tearful, defeated Paige say, “At UConn, it’s National Championship or nothing” is quite a thing to digest in the moment— even as we all know it, from every perspective.

Tough, unsparing reality to live in & with. Media, fans alike— we should all keep this in mind when we consider where this program is & compare to other WCB elites.

Reaction Score
Not nearly enough talk, reporting, MB discussion, etc. seems to highlight the massive, borderline overwhelming, perhaps suffocating at times, expectations that are placed on UConn WBB players year after year to win the National Championship & take their respective places re: litany of individual accolades in so doing— given the program’s decorated, pre-eminent, unparalleled title history in the college game: men’s & women’s alike.

This pressure is unique to UConn WBB & a tremendous burden to carry on these players’ backs, even as they sign up for it upon committing to Storrs. They see the banners, the trophies, the tributes adorned— on the practice gym walls, the corridors, Geno’s office, etc. It’s literally omnipresent at Werth & figuratively in their minds. So imposing, in fact, that Geno admitted contemplating removing the banners from the their practice gym.

Every other school— including SC & Stanford— seems to play with a lightness or freedom that only comes without such a heavy, lingering, unrelenting expectation.

Hearing a tearful, defeated Paige say, “At UConn, it’s National Championship or nothing” is quite a thing to digest in the moment— even as we all know it, from every perspective.

Tough, unsparing reality to live in & with. Media, fans alike— we should all keep this in mind when we consider where this program is & compare to other WCB elites.
that's why Geno & Co are so picky when it comes to recruiting.............not every recruit can deal with the intensity of the program and the expectations that come with being a UConn player.............it's as tough as it gets in college WBB......

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I disagree. I think South Carolina was facing more pressure to win it all this year than UConn. #1 all season long. Although Oregon and Baylor probably think the same, South Carolina feels like '20 was a golden opportunity taken away from them due to the Tourney being cancelled. Lost in the semis in '21 in a heartbreaker to Stanford, I'm sure they think they would've beaten Arizona in the final if they had advanced. There's 2 possible Championships that slipped away from them. Boston is a year ahead of Bueckers, her chances for winning a Title were narrowing.

Reaction Score
The original poster is correct. The pressure at Uconn is OBVIOUSLY greater. We constantly make the final 4. More NC than any team. For them a 2nd place finish is a dissapointment. Look at what Paige said. That statement maybe was made in the moment as she seems to have realigned her thinking already but there is little doubt they feel it. Being under that pressure may be destructive for many but it may also help us in the playoffs as who am I to discount their success? Maybe it's Geno's magic sauce? Is their mental toughness, forged in fire, a competitive advantage? I tend to think it's excessive though and potentially destructive. I think Geno is more aware of it than any of us and strives to manage it well. He makes a lot of positive comments to his players. He manages the PR well. He tries to stay positive and relieve the pressure at least some. It is what it is. If you want to be a pro, it may be exactly what you need.

Reaction Score
i agree, but i attribute much of that pressure to the potential and observed talent on uconn this season. the silver lining to those many injuries was the chance for most of the viable players getting real playing time during the season in important games, and when, at the end of the season, they were whole again, they felt that they had a legit shot at winning it all. i still believe that if uconn and sc were both completely healthy and play their "a" games, uconn wins, as they had a deeper team. the late injuries and illnesses certainly did uconn no favors, but when it mattered, they only played their "c+" game against sc's "b+" game in the finals, imho.

Reaction Score
Respect all responses. My point is the macro view beyond the ins-and-outs of this or recent specific season(s) & circumstances. Rather, it’s the overarching weight of 11 national championships, 14 consecutive FF’s & counting, game icons, POY’s, Olympians, & seemingly countless AA’s.

With the utmost regard for SC— & Stanford, Louisville, Baylor, Notre Dame, Oregon, etc.— no other program has achieved anything close to this voluminous success on the team & individual levels. It casts quite an imposing shadow.

Perhaps SC might someday experience this effect, but it won’t come for at least a decade & only if they string together many more “Natty’s” & a surfeit of attendant player awards in the interim, with a handful of their players going on to reach the pinnacle of their sport at the pro & Olympic levels as well.

Reaction Score
… Sorry— I tried to edit my aforementioned post to give Tennessee its just due as the closest comparable to UConn in this regard, but the time expired before I clicked Save.

Apology to any Lady Vols fans reading!

Reaction Score
I disagree. I think South Carolina was facing more pressure to win it all this year than UConn. #1 all season long. Although Oregon and Baylor probably think the same, South Carolina feels like '20 was a golden opportunity taken away from them due to the Tourney being cancelled. Lost in the semis in '21 in a heartbreaker to Stanford, I'm sure they think they would've beaten Arizona in the final if they had advanced. There's 2 possible Championships that slipped away from them. Boston is a year ahead of Bueckers, her chances for winning a Title were narrowing.
Totally agree with this Take. South Carolina had massive amount of pressure on their shoulders this season. That '20 season being wiped out because of Covid and them claiming, right or wrong, that they would have won the title that year. Then the '21 season ending loss to Stanford in the Final Four on that missed bunny. They would have given Arizona the business in the title game. Stanford definitely had a lot of pressure on them this season.

Reaction Score
Pressure is a very individual feeling. Some feel it and are impacted by it. Some feel it and thrive on it. Some try to avoid it. Others are attracted by it because they use it as a tool to improve and emerge as victors. There are players at UCONN who don’t feel it. There are players at Butler who do.

It’s always there. Use it to your advantage or succumb to it.

Reaction Score
Do the present UConn players carry a greater burden than defending champ, Stanford, this year?

Do they carry a greater burden than South Carolina will bear next year in attempting to defend their crown?

I don't think so, but everybody has an opinion.

Reaction Score
Do the present UConn players carry a greater burden than defending champ, Stanford, this year?

Do they carry a greater burden than South Carolina will bear next year in attempting to defend their crown?

When you have had the long term success that UConn WBB has had there's always intense pressure on the current players to match those eleven national championship teams........teams that succeed during 2-4 year periods of time don't have to fight as much against history......still SC will have added pressure because so few players were lost to graduation.........you just wait......" how come you beat that team by thirty last year and this time you only won by six"?

Reaction Score
I don’t mind that South Carolina got their championship they have a dynamic athletic team and they deserve the win however don’t put up a banner on a year you think you may have won that’s just ridiculous because you never know what could’ve happened. That is fairly pathetic false advertising.

Reaction Score
When you have had the long term success that UConn WBB has had there's always intense pressure on the current players to match those eleven national championship teams........teams that succeed during 2-4 year periods of time don't have to fight as much against history......still SC will have added pressure because so few players were lost to graduation.........you just wait......" how come you beat that team by thirty last year and this time you only won by six"?
Oh, we've already heard; "Missouri and Kentucky just show how badly we were coached."

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I generally agree, there is no level of general pressure like the kids on the UConn program. but I will give the highest level of respect to Boston who was under the highest level of pressure I can imagine (with the possible exception of Paige) had to bear the pain of losing due to her missed layup last year. Not sure what pressure is on Stanford. No one even see's them through the PAC12 Network firewall and they had plenty go their way last year.

Reaction Score
I generally agree, there is no level of general pressure like the kids on the UConn program. but I will give the highest level of respect to Boston who was under the highest level of pressure I can imagine (with the possible exception of Paige) had to bear the pain of losing due to her missed layup last year. Not sure what pressure is on Stanford. No one even see's them through the PAC12 Network firewall and they had plenty go their way last year.
I'm not sure if Stanford has their own version of the Boneyard but something tells me that if they do their fans aren't as crazy as UConn's

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

The burden is placed on them by UConn fans, primarily. But I have to say, there’s a lot of press about UConn’s national championship “drought”. It’s been 6 years. Stanford went 29 years from 1992 to 2021 and no one talked about their drought, at least not to the extent talking heads talked about UConn’s. And now there’s articles and chatter (on PTI) that UConn’s best days are behind them? No one is talking about Notre Dame, Texas, Duke, Purdue, Tennessee, et al that way.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I'm not sure if Stanford has their own version of the Boneyard but something tells me that if they do their fans aren't as crazy as UConn's
We do. Our crew is less crazy, yes. But a lot grouchier, and possibly even more entitled. We're used to winning across most D1 sports (won the D1 directors cup for 20-some years straight) so any mediocre performance by any of our teams seems to get nitpicked endlessly and relentlessly.

For me, unless and until I see a fan who can shimmy down the lane for a layup like Haley Jones, Block like Cameron Brink, or poke the ball for a steal, get the loose ball, and take the fast break for a layup like Lexie Hull, I'm inclined to give our women's team the benefit of the doubt and try to enjoy watching all the things they can do that I never have and never will.

Reaction Score
The burden is placed on them by UConn fans, primarily. But I have to say, there’s a lot of press about UConn’s national championship “drought”. It’s been 6 years. Stanford went 29 years from 1992 to 2021 and no one talked about their drought, at least not to the extent talking heads talked about UConn’s. And now there’s articles and chatter (on PTI) that UConn’s best days are behind them? No one is talking about Notre Dame, Texas, Duke, Purdue, Tennessee, et al that way.
As long as you are getting the #1 or 2 high school player(s) in the country there will be expectations. When you have not won the big prize for a while get a TRUE generational talent like Paige, even more so. I think she said herself (and believes) at UCONN it is national championship or bust. Geno probably feels similarly. There is pressure from the inside, outside and every other side.

Reaction Score
You could also say the same thing for UConn, this year 2022. I mean if UConn is mostly injury free this past year they probably win it all. Geno could have easily clogged up the middle with a rapidly improving Dorka, Ono, and Edwards, all at the same time. This negates SC’s advantage on the boards. With Paige and Azzi or Westbrook, I think UConn has an advantage over Henderson and Cooke. Ducharme and Nika come off the bench for major minutes. Remember that in the early game this season that UConn lost, they had SC on the ropes in the first half and led at halftime, despite playing two green, untested freshman.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
… Sorry— I tried to edit my aforementioned post to give Tennessee its just due as the closest comparable to UConn in this regard, but the time expired before I clicked Save.

Apology to any Lady Vols fans reading!
In all honesty, I think South Carolina is a closer comparison. The lady vols fans have lost some of their gusto while wandering the desert.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
FWIW, that was not our fan experience at all. I lost track of how many times that talking point came up during the NCAA tournament every year, how Tara had never gotten back to the top again. More than the thrill of winning the championship last season, I was honestly just so happy for Tara that now, whenever she retires, there will never be that "she could never get back to the top" monkey on her shoulder.

To me the main difference is that UConn Women's Basketball has mainstream popularity/awareness in a way Stanford never has (or maybe at least until last year), so the volume of chatter about UConn is much higher across the board, including its perceived slippage.

Reaction Score
I think the UConn drought is fairly easily explained, just compare the UConn womens drought with the UConn men’s basketball drought and with football the collapse of the football team. All three droughts are pretty much along the same timeline, give or take a year or two, and the reason is quite apparent to me. Anybody???

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom