Burden/Shadow of Success | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Burden/Shadow of Success

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
You could also say the same thing for UConn, this year 2022. I mean if UConn is mostly injury free this past year they probably win it all.
Well, they were injury plagued most of the season and didn't look at all like a Championship contender until late in the year, so the pressure just was not there. "IF" is really fairly meaningless in this context.

Reaction Score
You could also say the same thing for UConn, this year 2022. I mean if UConn is mostly injury free this past year they probably win it all. Geno could have easily clogged up the middle with a rapidly improving Dorka, Ono, and Edwards, all at the same time. This negates SC’s advantage on the boards. With Paige and Azzi or Westbrook, I think UConn has an advantage over Henderson and Cooke. Ducharme and Nika come off the bench for major minutes. Remember that in the early game this season that UConn lost, they had SC on the ropes in the first half and led at halftime, despite playing two green, untested freshman.
idk if you watch games but they usually are 4 quarters long. Uconn in both 4th quarters vs SC were dominated, including 7 pts 1st meeting. Even Geno after the game Sunday said even if his team was 100% they weren't stopping SC, they were the best team all year.

Reaction Score
idk if you watch games but they usually are 4 quarters long. Uconn in both 4th quarters vs SC were dominated, including 7 pts 1st meeting. Even Geno after the game Sunday said even if his team was 100% they weren't stopping SC, they were the best team all year.
UConn was dominated all game, in the NCAA final, but if Dorka doesn’t break her wrist and plays it would have been a much different game. Look at the NC State game, early on before Dorka breaks her wrist, NC State is on the verge of getting blown out. Cunane was very ineffective, but as soon as Dorka leaves the game, it becomes a dogfight and UConn was incredibly lucky to win it. In the first game they lost last Fall, they were in it and then some through the first three quarters, and when UConn’s shots stopped falling in the 4th quarter SC pulled away and then some. Fudd and Ducharme were seasoned veterans in the NCAA final, but in the game last Fall they were pretty green. I don’t recall Geno saying if Dorka doesn’t break her wrist and plays, SC would have won anyway. He was being a gentleman in the postgame which means he was not going to make obvious excuses for his teams loss, either referring to Dorka or Azzi’s illness.

Reaction Score
Well, they were injury plagued most of the season and didn't look at all like a Championship contender until late in the year, so the pressure just was not there. "IF" is really fairly meaningless in this context.
What “context” are you referring to? The context of that UConn was injury plagued all season long??? Lol. Geno even said that it was the worst season in all his years at UConn in terms of injuries. How about the “context” of holding practices with only 5 players for a portion of the year. “If” means everything in this context. How about “if” Boston breaks her wrist against Louisville and Dorka doesn’t? What happens then? Lol

Reaction Score
Am I being asked to feel sorry for people that are given the opportunity to be a part of a tremendous organization? Really?
Ever been a part of a great organization? A company? A school? A team? Even a community? A family? It’s fantastic! It’s the best! The organization is great for a reason! Different reasons- they get the little things right, they get the big things right, they treat people right, they hold you accountable. You’re better for it! You’re proud of what you do! You report every day with the idea that you’re going to be better today than you were yesterday!
Why do the alum come back like they do? Because it’s the best thing that ever happened to them and they want to remember it!
Would you rather play for the Baltimore Orioles?

Reaction Score
UConn was dominated all game, in the NCAA final, but if Dorka doesn’t break her wrist and plays it would have been a much different game. Look at the NC State game, early on before Dorka breaks her wrist, NC State is on the verge of getting blown out. Cunane was very ineffective, but as soon as Dorka leaves the game, it becomes a dogfight and UConn was incredibly lucky to win it. In the first game they lost last Fall, they were in it and then some through the first three quarters, and when UConn’s shots stopped falling in the 4th quarter SC pulled away and then some. Fudd and Ducharme were seasoned veterans in the NCAA final, but in the game last Fall they were pretty green. I don’t recall Geno saying if Dorka doesn’t break her wrist and plays, SC would have won anyway. He was being a gentleman in the postgame which means he was not going to make obvious excuses for his teams loss, either referring to Dorka or Azzi’s illness.
doesn't matter the game was won by Henderson, I said all season defense will be why Uconn wins or loses. The guards need to improve defensively. Dawn made it a point to go at Paige when they were on offense. Ducharme over Fudd to me I said it before the tournament started brought more this season to the table. Her length made other teams question going at her because of her length. Also pretty sure Dorka played the 1st meeting vs SC, so you can't use that excuse either.

Reaction Score
doesn't matter the game was won by Henderson, I said all season defense will be why Uconn wins or loses. The guards need to improve defensively. Dawn made it a point to go at Paige when they were on offense. Ducharme over Fudd to me I said it before the tournament started brought more this season to the table. Her length made other teams question going at her because of her length. Also pretty sure Dorka played the 1st meeting vs SC, so you can't use that excuse either.
Guard play didn’t determine this games outcome, it was post play and rebounding. That being said, I agree with you 100% about using Ducharme over Fudd.

I might have been more to the point about this in the following post to another poster………..

Somehow you got scrapping our offense from my comment. I Said no such thing. Using the post by no means says scrap the perimeter orientated offense. However attracting top post players will be difficult to get if we can't showcase them within our perimeter orientated offense.

We have good defensive post players. Your bigs are only as strong as your defensive perimeter players just take a look at South Carolina's perimeter defenders.
I think it’s quite apparent that it’s the other way around, your perimeter defenders are only as good as your bigs. Take away Zia Cooke or Destiny Henderson and put in someone else and South Carolina doesn’t miss a beat, but take away Boston and put in someone else, and South Carolina’s game has big problems. Same thing with Dorka, when she broke her wrist, that killed UConn, but if either of Westbrook, Fudd, Muhl, or CW had been the one to break their wrist, UConn doesn’t lose nearly as much. If you want to look at why UConn hasn’t won a NC since 2016 ask yourself who was the last UConn big to make first team All American?

Reaction Score
How the heck can the guards improve defensively when Boston is being double teamed all game, which means someone on the perimeter will get open shots.

Yeah and I’m pretty sure Dorka hadn’t finished unpacking in her dorm room yet when she played some minutes in the first SC game. She was new to the team, the campus, the coaches, and it wasn’t even Thanksgiving yet.

sun

Reaction Score
I don't believe that there's been any drought of NC's for UConn.
Just because UConn may have had an accelerated rate of winning NC's doesn't mean that there's now a drought.
Since UConn was blamed for ruining the game, the WCBB world has undergone a series of paradigm shifts and rule changes.
Including the transfer rules and transfer portal, and how games are played and officiated.
Some might argue that stars are born while others might say that stars are made. and maybe neither is wrong.

Maybe UConn fans have become addicted by winning so many NC's that it has become the only measurement of success that they know, instead of acknowledging that maybe they were the result of a combination of both luck & excellence.
Trying to identify & recruit the players that can make a difference is like trying to find a needle in a haystack.
That along with all of the other variables that enter into the equation of winning a NC amounts to being somewhat of a miracle.
While every team including UConn may try to turn winning into a science, it's probably more of an art form.

Winning artists are not simply a quantity that can be discovered, but more of a quality that needs to be nurtured until their work is ready to be hatched.
For right now, folks should appreciate the continued miracle of UConn's 14 straight FF appearances.
We won't know which UConn team will be NC #12 until after it actually happens.
Obviously that won't be any sooner than many fans expected, all we can do is to wait for the miracle to happen.
It's said that a watched pot never boils, but it always boils at the right time.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In all honesty, I think South Carolina is a closer comparison. The lady vols fans have lost some of their gusto while wandering the desert.
Certainly SC presently & likely moving forward. But my Tennessee deference was made in historical & aggregate context, with 8 NC’s & a litany of decorated players.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom