Bulletin board material for UConn - and Duke | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Bulletin board material for UConn - and Duke

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It is pretty hard for any coach in the Bridgeport region to answer any question about the region without mentioning Uconn, and no reporters are asking big picture questions about the region without framing it using Uconn. Uconn is the elephant in the room. I am expecting JPM to answer question and refer to National Flag Blue clad team so, like with player numbers rather than names, she doesn't actually have to say Uconn. if she plays us, maybe her team will not notice who the opponent is in all that film study - maybe she can have her video editor blur the name on the uniform front and the logo on the leg. :eek::cool:

Reaction Score
Maryland beats West Virginia. Oregon beats Duke. Oregon beats Maryland. UCONN beats Oregon.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
I keep rereading the Brenda Frese comments and I do not see anything bulletin board about it. I would say it is a very accurate analysis of the situation from both the UConn and MD sides. On the other hand, the Heiderman quote is classic bulletin board material and I am sure every coach from now on will tell their players to at least google their opponents so they know the name of the school. :rolleyes:

And how to pronounce it, unlike the multitude at ESPN; despite it being in the same state, and despite Lobo's persistent attempts to set them straight. Gotta give credit to Andy though -- he got it right.

Reaction Score
Overlooking someone, aren't we?

“I mean, if I were [the Huskies], I wouldn’t want to see us, if that plays out,” Frese said Thursday. “We’re a team that can score, and the teams that score against UConn have the most success. On the flip side, I think they were dealt a really difficult bracket for being the national champions.

Forget the Seeding. Maryland Feels It Can Beat Anybody, Including UConn., NY Times

I agree with the second part, but with a slight tweak.

We were dealt a really difficult bracket (probably the toughest 16, 8, and 2/3), but the injustice isn't because we're the defending champs. The injustice is because we're the undefeated #1 overall seed and shouldn't have the most challenging 1st round, 2nd round, and Elite 8 game. Also, Baylor should not be the #4 overall.

Reaction Score
If our favorite team is as good as we think they are, they require no bulletin board material to be properly motivated. I just don't think they fear the prospect of facing any opponent. In fact, I think that just the reverse is true, that they get excited and pumped up for the most challenging opponents. I'm sure that some will come out of the woodwork and claim otherwise, but the fact of the matter is that none of us on our Board predicted that UConn would enter the tournament undefeated in this of all years. In a way, the team is now playing with "house money." If MD is good enough to beat them, which I doubt, well, more power to them. Slocum is a great little player, and I admire her, but once Brionna Jones graduates, it's gonna be a long time before the Terps can once again contend with the Huskies. They'd damned well better get it done now. Personally, I not only anticipate another NC, but will enjoy it even more if the road to that grail is littered with those opponents the pundits suggest should be most-feared. If it's not meant to be, so be it...but me, I like our chances!

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
First of all Brenda Frese need to take a page out of Tennessee's book. UConn isn't thinking about Brenda or Md, they have Syracuse Monday. UConn do not look pass teams, they focus on the game they have next.
It look like Md might get pass West Virginia, but they still have a game after West Virginia, and it's not UConn.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
If our favorite team is as good as we think they are, they require no bulletin board material to be properly motivated. I just don't think they fear the prospect of facing any opponent. In fact, I think that just the reverse is true, that they get excited and pumped up for the most challenging opponents. I'm sure that some will come out of the woodwork and claim otherwise, but the fact of the matter is that none of us on our Board predicted that UConn would enter the tournament undefeated in this of all years. In a way, the team is now playing with "house money." If MD is good enough to beat them, which I doubt, well, more power to them. Slocum is a great little player, and I admire her, but once Brionna Jones graduates, it's gonna be a long time before the Terps can once again contend with the Huskies. They'd damned well better get it done now. Personally, I not only anticipate another NC, but will enjoy it even more if the road to that grail is littered with those opponents the pundits suggest should be most-feared. If it's not meant to be, so be it...but me, I like our chances!
I'm with you--good post. I've felt like I've been playing with house money as a fan for some time now.

Reaction Score
"...NC by beating Albany, Syracuse, UCLA, Maryland, Baylor and Notre Dame. That is the murder's row to a championship ..."
To be honest with you all I am a bit worried having to face MD, Baylor and then ND.
I suspect MD will be a tough win but a win nonetheless. Baylor poses a match up nightmare (damn they are so big). Will the Huskies have any gas left to play ND.

I am sure that this has been discussed in the bracket threads- Uconn has the toughest road to make it to the final. No other #1 seed has to face such an uphill battle.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Overlooking someone, aren't we?

“I mean, if I were [the Huskies], I wouldn’t want to see us, if that plays out,” Frese said Thursday. “We’re a team that can score, and the teams that score against UConn have the most success. On the flip side, I think they were dealt a really difficult bracket for being the national champions.

Forget the Seeding. Maryland Feels It Can Beat Anybody, Including UConn., NY Times
If they didn't feel they're the better team and can beat UConn they should just pack up and go home. I have no problem with her stream of consciousness. Good for them. Stay confident. The butt whuppin' will just hurt more.

Reaction Score
Doesn't matter who said what, it will 100% be Uconn versus Maryland in the elite eight and I expect us to be prepared because it won't be easy.

Reaction Score
Two coaches who continually want to poke the bear - Freese and Hillman. Why give your opponents that kind of motivation? Shut your trap and play the games. Then, IF you win, you can have something to say. I have zero respect for those two.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Brenda doing her thing again. This is for her. UConn is not worried about MD right now. Syracuse comes first.

Then a few days off for the next opponent.

If I were Maryland ( hint, hint Brenda) I would be worried about your next opponent and if your team can play some defense.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Her talking about UConn is about as silly as Staley complaining about Stockton... and almost not even getting there. Slow down people wait til you at least know you are playing them/there first. So presumptuous!

Reaction Score
"...NC by beating Albany, Syracuse, UCLA, Maryland, Baylor and Notre Dame. That is the murder's row to a championship ..."
To be honest with you all I am a bit worried having to face MD, Baylor and then ND.
I suspect MD will be a tough win but a win nonetheless. Baylor poses a match up nightmare (damn they are so big). Will the Huskies have any gas left to play ND.

I am sure that this has been discussed in the bracket threads- Uconn has the toughest road to make it to the final. No other #1 seed has to face such an uphill battle.
Has UCLA won? Has Notre Dame won? Has Maryland won? Have we won yet against Syracuse? A lot of basketball to play. None of the #1 seeds are a given to be in Dallas. God forbid injuries to key players... Bad shooting night or foul trouble... All teams are not a given. Yes UCONN got the toughest region and my reason is the committee is tired of UCONN ... And also being punished for being in the AAC even though UCONN had the toughest non-confrence schedule.

Reaction Score
Frese and Maryland can say all they want right and we'll deal with them when that time comes (perhaps not if Duke wins). But I'm focusing on Syracuse right now. I know Geno has his ladies doing the same.

Reaction Score
I don't agree that we're playing with house money. You rightfully said that most people never thought that UConn would have gotten through the regular season undefeated but had we lost a regular season game, we'd still be right where we are. Losing to Maryland would eliminate us from the tournament so there's quite a difference between losing then and losing now. Other than that, I do agree that they seem to thrive when the competition gets better because of their desire to prove people wrong. Now that they are at this point, there's no settling for anything but a perfect season. To lose after the mountain that they've climbed this season would be really sad.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Love how the article doesn't mention UCONN was up 19 late in the game then the refs took over!! The article basically saying Maryland is deeper and more talented ... I don't recall Maryland going deep into there bench when they play top competition. The game in Maryland was a game with horrible tick tack fouls... Lou sick and we still one. UCONN is a better team. My concern is get by Syracuse first that team worries me

I would guess that little item slipped her mind. There were several dynamics in place that evening that WILL NOT be present should they meet in the regional championship game. That game however is not before them. They are no doubt only concerned about their next game, the TAMU/UCLA winner. THAT is the most important game of the tournament right now to the Huskies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I suspect that UConn doesn't use bulletin board material. My sense of their psychological preparation is similar to the NE Patriots: to think only about what they need to do to play their best and to prevent the other team from playing its best...and leave the bulletin board stuff to the rest of us. Those who can, play basketball. Those of us who can't, post on bulletin boards about bulletin board material. :)
UConn's Kia Nurse heard the boasts from Syracuse that it would bring the best backcourt in America into Monday night's second-round rematch of last year's national championship game.

She used that as motivation.

The boasting ''allows you to play with a bit of a chip on your shoulder,'' she said. ''For us, we like to prove it with the way that we play.''

:cool:

Nurse's hits 9 3-Pointers to lead UConn over Syracuse 94-64

Reaction Score
There are mornings I think I can take on Arnold...

...and then there's reality.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom