Bulletin board material for UConn - and Duke | The Boneyard

Bulletin board material for UConn - and Duke

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Overlooking someone, aren't we?

“I mean, if I were [the Huskies], I wouldn’t want to see us, if that plays out,” Frese said Thursday. “We’re a team that can score, and the teams that score against UConn have the most success. On the flip side, I think they were dealt a really difficult bracket for being the national champions.

Forget the Seeding. Maryland Feels It Can Beat Anybody, Including UConn., NY Times

Reaction Score
She may be attempting to use back-door psychology on her team, kinda like Geno. :cool:

Only, this time, the back door opens to a downward spiraling staircase leading directly to ...oh well, you know. :eek:

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
First of all MD scores alot of points true and most of that scoring comes from teams that arent ranked in the top 25. Although they did score a lot of points against UConn UConn had a 19 pt lead with the ball, at MD, late in the game, when all the fouls were called on UConn making them defenseless. Dont forget that was the game when Lou had the bucket and was sick. I dont think that happens in Bridgeport. UConn will win by double digets no matter who they play in Bridgeport. MD still has West Va and most likely Duke and Duke is pretty good. I would not be concerned about MD, I respect them but Im not worried.

Reaction Score
Overlooking someone, aren't we?

“I mean, if I were [the Huskies], I wouldn’t want to see us, if that plays out,” Frese said Thursday. “We’re a team that can score, and the teams that score against UConn have the most success. On the flip side, I think they were dealt a really difficult bracket for being the national champions.

Forget the Seeding. Maryland Feels It Can Beat Anybody, Including UConn., NY Times

I agree Chris should put this in each locker should they get to play MD again. But, except for being a bit over the top , Brenda is motivating her team (again) in case they get to play Uconn. She is right that she is the first RATED team to play Uconn as close as she did. But Fla and Tulane (look where they are) played Uconn closer.
I don't know from seeding---but if those high knowledge By posters are correct--MD rated as a three is still too high of a rating.
If you want to complain---there is so much around you to help you--or you can accept where you are an make the most of it.

Reaction Score
Why even go into the tournament , if you don't feel that you have a chance? "To be the best, you have to beat the best"...

Reaction Score
First of all MD scores alot of points true and most of that scoring comes from teams that arent ranked in the top 25. Although they did score a lot of points against UConn UConn had a 19 pt lead with the ball, at MD, late in the game, when all the fouls were called on UConn making them defenseless. Dont forget that was the game when Lou had the bucket and was sick. I dont think that happens in Bridgeport. UConn will win by double digets no matter who they play in Bridgeport. MD still has West Va and most likely Duke and Duke is pretty good. I would not be concerned about MD, I respect them but Im not worried.

Say what you want about JPM---she recruits well and puts a lot of talent on the floor. MD could find a big bump in their road to the NC.
Thanks for the comments of Lou--and the 19 point lead--

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I agree Chris should put this in each locker should they get to play MD again. But, except for being a bit over the top , Brenda is motivating her team (again) in case they get to play Uconn. She is right that she is the first RATED team to play Uconn as close as she did. But Fla and Tulane (look where they are) played Uconn closer.
I don't know from seeding---but if those high knowledge By posters are correct--MD rated as a three is still too high of a rating.
If you want to complain---there is so much around you to help you--or you can accept where you are an make the most of it.
Florida State was ranked #12 at the time they played.

Reaction Score
She may be attempting to use back-door psychology on her team, kinda like Geno. :cool:

Only, this time, the back door opens to a downward spiraling staircase leading directly to ...oh well, you know. :eek:

I agree that it is a coaches job to be motivator, cheerleader, teacher, father, mother, bad guy, good guy---any coach that does not tell it's team they can beat even Uconn --shouldn't be coaching.
What the He-l I think I have an inkling of which you write---in the universe they call that a black hole slurp slurp---you're gone!!

Reaction Score
Love how the article doesn't mention UCONN was up 19 late in the game then the refs took over!! The article basically saying Maryland is deeper and more talented ... I don't recall Maryland going deep into there bench when they play top competition. The game in Maryland was a game with horrible tick tack fouls... Lou sick and we still one. UCONN is a better team. My concern is get by Syracuse first that team worries me

Reaction Score
Maryland is a good team and would provide a good game in the Elite 8, if they get there.
But in sports, nothing is cheaper than talk....eventually it has to be backed up on the court.
Healthy, good officiating ( go back to our last loss and see the calls that fouled out Tuck), and go0d shooting,
and Maryland can go back to talk about how "close" they got to us.

Reaction Score
IMO the best part of the article was the incite into Coach Frese's psyche.

By saying “I mean, if I were [the Huskies], I wouldn’t want to see us, if that plays out" Coach Frese is basically assigning Maryland's thought process to UConn. Obviously when you look at Maryland's out of conference schedule Coach Frese does not want to schedule the best and beat the best. Instead, Maryland ducked major opponents all season and hoped to slide into a high seed.

Ironically this "path of least resistance" approach completely backfired for the Terps which is why they are a #3 seed. The exact opposite approach is UConn which will schedule all comers and hides from no one. UConn gets excited for big games....they do not try to avoid them.

I would guess in Geno's heart of hearts his dream conclusion is to win a NC by beating Albany, Syracuse, UCLA, Maryland, Baylor and Notre Dame. That is the murder's row to a championship and the way an elite program makes a statement.

Last edited:

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I don't disagree but it's still great bulletin board material.

Not that we need any bulletin board stuff to motivate this team, but look what it did for Quinnipiac. When asked about playing them, Marquette's Natisha Heideman said, "I've never heard of it." Words which likely appeared front and center in Quinnipiac's locker room before yesterday's game.

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="dwalks93, post: 2104711, member: 5598" ]Obviously when you look at Maryland's out of conference schedule Coach Frese does not want to schedule the best and beat the best. Instead, Maryland ducked major opponents all season and hoped to slide into a high seed.

Ironically this "path of least resistance" approach completely backfired for the Terps which is why they are a #3 seed. The exact opposite approach is UConn which will schedule all comers and hides from no one.
[/QUOTE]

How fortunate we are on the BY to have so many mind readers among us.
In 96-97, UConn's non-conference schedule included 2 ranked teams (TN & GA). Was Geno afraid to schedule the best?

Reaction Score
I suspect that UConn doesn't use bulletin board material. My sense of their psychological preparation is similar to the NE Patriots: to think only about what they need to do to play their best and to prevent the other team from playing its best...and leave the bulletin board stuff to the rest of us. Those who can, play basketball. Those of us who can't, post on bulletin boards about bulletin board material. :)

Reaction Score
Maryland is a good team and would provide a good game in the Elite 8, if they get there.
But in sports, nothing is cheaper than talk....eventually it has to be backed up on the court.
Healthy, good officiating ( go back to our last loss and see the calls that fouled out Tuck), and go0d shooting,
and Maryland can go back to talk about how "close" they got to us.
Good post; 3 cents worth at least.:cool:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Not that we need any bulletin board stuff to motivate this team, but look what it did for Quinnipiac. When asked about playing them, Marquette's Natisha Heideman said, "I've never heard of it." Words which likely appeared front and center in Quinnipiac's locker room before yesterday's game.

I keep rereading the Brenda Frese comments and I do not see anything bulletin board about it. I would say it is a very accurate analysis of the situation from both the UConn and MD sides. On the other hand, the Heiderman quote is classic bulletin board material and I am sure every coach from now on will tell their players to at least google their opponents so they know the name of the school. :rolleyes:

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
The author pf the article and the coach of Maryland's first-round opponenet have an issue with with them being a #3 seed, the committee based the seeding on UM weak non-conference schedule as was discussed ad nauseum all season long. As far as Brenda Frese's comments being "bulletin board" material? I think that's a staid phrase from a bygone era, Coach Frese shouldn't believe her team can beat Connecticut? If she does then why shouldn't she say it publicly? They played them tough the past two seasons, although FSU and Tulane played Connecticut tougher. Coach Frese seems to forget the FF, a few years ago, but that' okay.....

Reaction Score

Brenda could also point out that Lou was using TWO BUCKETS(!) when everyone else only had ONE. Unfair!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom