Bubble Watch | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Bubble Watch

Reaction Score
Tmrw huge. I’m ready to run the table. Moody colesium will be tuff but this isn’t the smu of years past. Totally beatable. I’m guessing spread will be SMU -3/3.5
Need another HUGE effort like the game against Tulsa. UConn is coming off a big win and SMU is coming off a tough loss but playing at home. Hoping they show up to play!!

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
We have a top transfer PG, Bouk who will be on one of the all Big EAST preseason teams and ready for a break out year. Akok maybe Defensive Player of the Year this season and ready to make strides on O next season. Polley should be back (40 percent from 3). Sid, Adams & Gaffney returning. You add a 4 year starting Center in Carlton and a 4 year back up in Whalley. Plus the two freshman and Richie Springs.

I don't see how we are not in Top 25 but def Andy Katz Power 36.

I see bouk picking up about half of CV' scoring output (~7pts), but not seeing where the other half are coming from or the 5 or so more that would turn the close L's into W's.

I don't see our defense being 12 pts/gm better. You want to pencil in 4-5 to Akok, Ok but that's a bit of a leap of faith at the moment.

Reaction Score
10 losses and not really any attention grabbing winnings but we sure LOOK like a tournament team right now. The game tomorrow will tell a lot.

I don’t believe we need to win the AACT to dance.

If we get to a record of something like 21-12 without winning the conference tournament we’ll be in the discussion. NET will be in the high 40s and we’ll be 8-2 in our last 10 which I’m pretty sure is a criteria.

Exactly. This team is tournament good. We just don’t show up every night and can’t close games. Xavier, Indiana, Villanova, Wichita State, Memphis, Houston. All winnable games, matter of fact should’ve won every one but we came out of those games 0-6. If we even split those games at 3-3 right now we’d be 16-7 with a friendly schedule from here on out.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
I see bouk picking up about half of CV' scoring output (~7pts), but not seeing where the other half are coming from or the 5 or so more that would turn the close L's into W's.

I don't see our defense being 12 pts/gm better. You want to pencil in 4-5 to Akok, Ok but that's a bit of a leap of faith at the moment.
Cole?

Reaction Score
Anyone know what Oregon’s resume was like last year? I feel like they’re in a similar situation with us is that disappointing spot but caught fire late. They didn’t get an at large rather won the PAC-12 in a weak year for that conference

Reaction Score
Need another HUGE effort like the game against Tulsa. UConn is coming off a big win and SMU is coming off a tough loss but playing at home. Hoping they show up to play!!
SMU can really score, but plays awful defense. I believe it’s a good matchup for us because I think our defense can give them some trouble & we should be able to get to the rim, score, & beat them up on the glass.

Reaction Score
SMU can really score, but plays awful defense. I believe it’s a good matchup for us because I think our defense can give them some trouble & we should be able to get to the rim, score, & beat them up on the glass.
I haven't seen them at all this year. I just know they lost to a Temple team that UConn whipped up on.
The team is trending in the right direction and Bouknight is beginning to assert himself as the guy, aside from Vital. This team is coming together at the right time. Ive got tickets for Sunday at the XL center, hoping for a 3 gam win streak heading into that one. Another big game tomorrow night. One game at a time boys. One at a time.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I just know they lost to a Temple team that UConn whipped up on.

Temple is nota good team this year but we got them on a REAL bad night. Weve had those ourselves too, too, many times to count.

Reaction Score
I haven't seen them at all this year. I just know they lost to a Temple team that UConn whipped up on.
The team is trending in the right direction and Bouknight is beginning to assert himself as the guy, aside from Vital. This team is coming together at the right time. Ive got tickets for Sunday at the XL center, hoping for a 3 gam win streak heading into that one. Another big game tomorrow night. One game at a time boys. One at a time.
SMU gets off to very quick starts- will be key for UConn to be ready to rock & roll come tip & ready to go all out & defend & scrap from the start.

Reaction Score
SMU gets off to very quick starts- will be key for UConn to be ready to rock & roll come tip & ready to go all out & defend & scrap from the start.
That worries me to an extent. They haven't shown to be a team that starts off fast. Usually they get a quick punch to the mouth then figure it out. At home last Sunday, we saw this against Cinci.

Reaction Score
He only leads the team in scoring, no big deal. Dumb ass.

Dumb Ass? So 14 ppg is considered a big scorer? No Donyell, Ray, Chris Smith, kemba, Bazz...those were big scorers.

Reaction Score

Hello! RJ Cole, my friend. I think Cole will more than offset Vital's scoring and Bouknight will up his points too. And that's just our starting back court!

Reaction Score
We have probably three shots at Q1 wins left. Houston, at SMU, and possible 1-50 team in aac tourney. If we win out and win those there is a chance but I am more worried about going into SMU and ending that nightmare trip with a UCONN dub and then going from there.

Reaction Score

Wait you seriosuly don't think we can replace Vitals 14ppg? Cole will average 11 and Bouk will average about 17. There ya go. Easy. Gaffney, Adams and everyone else will average more as well.

Our defense will also be better with more Bigs to fill in and give otheres a break. Thinking we are going to be worse becase we are losing Vital is Peak Boneyard.

Reaction Score
Dumb Ass? So 14 ppg is considered a big scorer? No Donyell, Ray, Chris Smith, kemba, Bazz...those were big scorers.
He LEADS the team in scoring. No matter what way you try to say it, you have to fill in his scoring. You're seriously an idiot if you think Vital's loss will be easy to fill.

Reaction Score
He LEADS the team in scoring. No matter what way you try to say it, you have to fill in his scoring. You're seriously an idiot if you think Vital's loss will be easy to fill.

Maybe part of the answer here is reduced turnovers. Vital stuffs the stat sheet in a lot of areas, including turnovers. He, and presumably Gilbert, won't be around next season and they combine for over 5 TO's a game. And maybe Carlton won't start. That's almost 8 TO's/game. If their replacements (will Whaley start???) take better care of the ball there are a lot of extra possessions to be had. Just a thought.

Reaction Score

14 ppg is a big scorer. Don’t downplay Vitals importance from a scoring/rebounding perspective. I can’t defend his decision making but the dude scores

Reaction Score
Might miss rebounding but he is not a big scorer. Averages 14 a game. Bouk should be ready to aveage 18 a game plus Cole will get his & Polley back. We won't miss his scoring, his tenaciousness and heart plus rebounding but not scoring.
Am I missing something? I believe 14 PPG leads the team. More importantly Cole is still an unknown, although I feel he’ll produce, and Polley has a tough injury to overcome. I think Jackson may put double figures up when all is said and done.
But replacing Vital’s 400 plus points this season Is a lot easier said than done.

Reaction Score
As far as Vital- he’s a good shooter, defender, & rebounder. The problem is that we’ve needed him to create plays, his own shot, make decisions at the end of games, etc.

He would be looked at much differently if we have another guy or two who were able to run the offense and create plays for others. Has looked better the last two games with Bouknight creating offense.

Would’ve love to see him in a offense in where we just asked him to hit the open jumper when needed, defend one of the top perimeter players on the other team, & rebound.

Vital is tough, gritty, & gives it his all- we’ve just haven’t had enough talent around him & it’s equated to show a number of his flaws too often.

Reaction Score
We lost Jalen Adams's 17 points per game last year and Gilbert is averaging 3 less a game despite us hoping he'd be the one to take the points..

We're 40 spots better in KenPom.

We'll be fine replacing 14ppg among 8+ returning rotation players, a redshirt junior transfer (making 6 junior+ upperclassmen), a redshirt freshman, and 2 normal freshmen.

Reaction Score
We have probably three shots at Q1 wins left. Houston, at SMU, and possible 1-50 team in aac tourney. If we win out and win those there is a chance but I am more worried about going into SMU and ending that nightmare trip with a UCONN dub and then going from there.
Houston is a maybe. They're 29 now, so they're hovering between Q1 and Q2 because it's at home.

SMU is a maybe. They're 72 right now, so even a road win means they're a Q2 win.

Right now only Houston, Cincy, and Wichita would be neutral Q1 wins, and WSU is clinging for life to that.

Reaction Score
We lost Jalen Adams's 17 points per game last year and Gilbert is averaging 3 less a game despite us hoping he'd be the one to take the points..

We're 40 spots better in KenPom.

We'll be fine replacing 14ppg among 8+ returning rotation players, a redshirt junior transfer (making 6 junior+ upperclassmen), a redshirt freshman, and 2 normal freshmen.

This. If you are concerned about replacing Vital's points you might as well throw in the towel on next season now.

Reaction Score
This. If you are concerned about replacing Vital's points you might as well throw in the towel on next season now.
A good team replaces 14 points pretty easily.

We're not talking Kemba points here. Nor, as much as I do like CV, are we talking about the sort of leadership that, say, Shabazz offered, or the defense that Moore offered, or the rebounding Okafor offered, or the all around game Gay offered.

We replaced Tony Robertson fine; we'll replace CV fine. He'll be missed, but a good program goes on.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom