Bubble watch (2/5/23) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Bubble watch (2/5/23)

Reaction Score
What matters is the total resume between OOC and in conference schedules. It’s potato potato: Xavier is 11-2 with three OOC losses, we are 8-6 with zero OOC losses. It evens out roughly.
We can name it OOC or conference, but the committee looks at the body of work between the two in total.
No kidding it's overall body of work....and right now UConn's overall body of work is better than X or Marquette imo.....but Xavier beat UConn twice so you wan't to make Xavier 1a & UConn 1b ok by me.

Last edited:

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
No kidding it's overall body of work....and right now UConn's overall body of work is better than X or Marquette. X beat UConn twice so you wan't to make X 1a & UConn 1b ok by me.
I admit to not tracking Marquette’s OOC opponents lately. I would go 20 on them instead of 19. My bad. I still think Xavier will get a little more leeway (need one less win to get in) as they played a more difficult SOS even if they lost a few. If you shift a few of their OOC losses to the BE and vice-versa, they still have a little bit better resume (and floor).

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
AAC:
Should be in: Houston
Work left to do: Temple, Cincinnati, Memphis, Tulane

Atlantic 10:
Work left to do: VCU, Saint Louis, Fordham

ACC:
Should be in: Virginia, Miami
Work left to do: Clemson, Pitt, NC State, Duke, UNC, Wake Forest

Big 12:
Locks: Texas, Kansas State, Kansas (at least 18 wins)
Should be in: Iowa State, TCU, Baylor
Work left to do: Oklahoma State, West Virginia

Big East:
Locks: Xavier, Marquette (at least 19 wins)
Should be in: Providence, UConn
Work left to do: Creighton, Seton Hall

Big 10:
Lock: Purdue
Should be in: Rutgers, Iowa, Maryland, Indiana, Illinois
Work left to do: Northwestern, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Penn State

MW:
Work left to do: SDSU, Boise State, Nevada, Utah State, New Mexico, UNLV

Pac-12:
Lock: Arizona
Should be in: UCLA, USC
Work left to do: Utah, Oregon, Arizona State

SEC:
Locks: Alabama, Tennessee (at least 19 wins)
Should be in: Auburn
Work left to do: Kentucky, Texas A&M, Missouri, Arkansas

WCC:
Should be in: St. Mary's, Gonzaga

Others:
Work left to do: Charleston, FAU, Oral Roberts

Using teams with RPI's 50 or better as a rough proxy for how many bids a league will get, here is the breakdown by conference:

ACC: 5
Big East: 5
Big 10: 7 (actually 8, but Ohio State has a losing record and is obviously not getting a bid)
Big 12: 8 (all 35 or better)
Pac 12: 2
SEC: 8 (but 4 of them are in the 40's, so unlikely to get 8 bids).
MWC: 5 (all better than 40)
WCC: 2

42 teams less 8 automatic bids = 34 at-large bids between them. There are 36 at-large bids available. There are not a lot of clear cut at large prospects outside of those conferences other than Memphis. Florida Atlantic is probably getting an at-large if they lose in their conference tournament, and Oral Roberts and Charleston have shots at at-large bids if they lose in their conference finals.

It is a zero sum game from here on out for the conferences. A Big 10 bubble team going on a 4 game winning streak means 4 Big 10 teams are picking up losses to a bubble team. For the Big East, Seton Hall's road to an at-large is just too tough. I don't think they will get it.

My gut is that the ACC gets 6, SEC gets 6 or 7, and the Pac 12 gets USC in. The other conferences get their Top 50 NET teams in.

Reaction Score
You guys better pool your collective PHDs and statistics knowledge to come to an agreement. The selection committee will be SOL come Selection Sunday if they cant get definitive info from the BY

Reaction Score
To put this another way, if you assume Houston has a 95% chance of winning each remaining game and they have 8 games left, the probability of them losing all 8 games is 0.000000000039%. Even my brain rounds that number to zero
This is the key point.

Most of us are defining "lock" as >99% chance to be in the field.

If one really wants to be pedantic and define it as 100%, then sure, I guess one could do that.

caw

Reaction Score
No kidding it's overall body of work....and right now UConn's overall body of work is better than X or Marquette imo.....but Xavier beat UConn twice so you wan't to make Xavier 1a & UConn 1b ok by me.

UConn should be ahead of Marquette now after the last game. Before that you could argue Marquette was ahead. Even their losses were super close games to high quality opponents. Whereas UConn lost to SJU. That and the result in the first UConn/Marquette game was literally the difference. With the last game, I think Marquette is either behind or even with UConn. I would say UConn has the advantage because of the Bama win and how badly UConn won by.

X on the other hand is probably ahead of UConn based mostly on the head to head matchup and the fact they are 11-4 against high quality opponents. Flip the home game UConn lost and X would be at 10-5 and UConn at 9-5 in quality games and then I think the fact UConn has a win over Bama may put UConn ahead of X. So I think that UConn home loss is the difference.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom