bryce mcneal | Page 5 | The Boneyard

bryce mcneal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.uc2000.uconn.edu/reports/report01/

One has to include UConn 2000 in UConn's academic rise. Sure the championship runs definitely had an impact. But without a $1 billion dollar investment into the schools decaying infrastructure (you should have seen the shithole campus in the early 90's) the impact would have been mitigated.

UConn 2000 was put in motion in 1995. 4 years before our first championship. Both the huge investment (which made the school more attractive and physically appealing), and the athletic achievement (which made the school more popular) have helped UConn become the top public university in New England. It would be dishonest to credit only athletics for rise of UConn.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
http://www.uc2000.uconn.edu/reports/report01/

One has to include UConn 2000 in UConn's academic rise. Sure the championship runs definitely had an impact. But without a $1 billion dollar investment into the schools decaying infrastructure (you should have seen the ****hole campus in the early 90's) the impact would have been mitigated.

UConn 2000 was put in motion in 1995. 4 years before our first championship. Both the huge investment (which made the school more attractive and physically appealing), and the athletic achievement (which made the school more popular) have helped UConn become the top public university in New England. It would be dishonest to credit only athletics for rise of UConn.

You beat me to it! UConn2000 definitely transformed the university and changed our situation. I would disagree with you that the university was a s$%thole before it (except for the "Frat House Road", which.....was a s$%thole...), but you are absolutely on the money with the UConn2000 thing. The one good thing that came out of Rowland's mouth.

Reaction Score
It looked North Korean back then.

In 1993 my wife took a job near Hartford and I was still working in MA so living in NE CT seemed the way to go. We took a couple of drives just to scout out candidate communities and on one we stumbled upon the UConn campus and took a drive-through. We were horrified. With the obvious exception of Gampel the entire place had that "the boys are coming home from war so let's throw up some brick buildings" look and it seemed as if little had been done to maintain or improve it since. We thought, "How can this be the flagship university of the state with the highest per capita income in the country?"

Now if you make the same drive-through the campus is incredible (except for those two buildings out front near the lake that if you added rows of doors to the outside would look like 1950's era motels). That investment has been compounded by an increasingly competitive student body. I wouldn't have sent my child to that campus 20 years ago for any reason other than financial. Now I would have no problem doing so in competition with all but a very small number of schools on an academic and student experience basis.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
In 1993 my wife took a job near Hartford and I was still working in MA so living in NE CT seemed the way to go. We took a couple of drives just to scout out candidate communities and on one we stumbled upon the UConn campus and took a drive-through. We were horrified. With the obvious exception of Gampel the entire place had that "the boys are coming home from war so let's throw up some brick buildings" look and it seemed as if little had been done to maintain or improve it since. We thought, "How can this be the flagship university of the state with the highest per capita income in the country?"

Now if you make the same drive-through the campus is incredible (except for those two buildings out front near the lake that if you added rows of doors to the outside would look like 1950's era motels). That investment has been compounded by an increasingly competitive student body. I wouldn't have sent my child to that campus 20 years ago for any reason other than financial. Now I would have no problem doing so in competition with all but a very small number of schools on an academic and student experience basis.

Geesh! I think you took a wrong turn and drove through ECSU...:eek:

Reaction Score
Just a coincidence. Sorry but you are wrong. I'm sure its a coincidence at these other schools too. Please take a moment to read. Butler's final four appearances were worth 1.2 billion to the school. Amazing.

I read the link and I my takeaway was that the PR they received had a value of 1.2B if they had to purchase it themselves.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Only my opinion, but UConn2000 only got enough support to pass after the basketball teams had huge success in the early 90s. Sure, UConn (men) didn't win a title until '99, but the team made the NCAA T in '90, '91, '92, and '94. They advanced to the Sweet 16 in '90, '91, & '94. They also had Scott Burrell, Chris Smith, and Ray Allen by then. On the Women's side, the Huskies had been to the Elite 8 twice in the 90's by 1995, and had nationally known Rebecca Lobo on the team. Huskymania was in full effect by 1995 and was a big part of UConn2000 getting passed.

Reaction Score

It was still fun being there. No regrets in going there. Couldn't have asked for a better college experience. I still have no idea what Calhoun said to Donyell, Ray Allen, etc.

Reaction Score
Only my opinion, but UConn2000 only got enough support to pass after the basketball teams had huge success in the early 90s. Sure, UConn (men) didn't win a title until '99, but the team made the NCAA T in '90, '91, '92, and '94. They advanced to the Sweet 16 in '90, '91, & '94. They also had Scott Burrell, Chris Smith, and Ray Allen by then. On the Women's side, the Huskies had been to the Elite 8 twice in the 90's by 1995, and had nationally known Rebecca Lobo on the team. Huskymania was in full effect by 1995 and was a big part of UConn2000 getting passed.

Bingo. "Huskymania" was unleashed in 1990, it swept through the state, infected the legislature and played a big role in getting UCONN 2000 initiated and passed.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i just talked to bryce. he has no news to report yet. waiting...

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Well, if you spoke to him what is he waiting for? Which grad school is he trying to get into and when will he know definitively?

he didn't want to put out any specifics. just wanted to say that he was waiting for news from uconn and that visiting lville as we know was a backup in case something doesn't work out. players report on august 2nd and pads on the 3rd, so we will know soon prob...hope we get him in and all ready to go asap.

Reaction Score
he didn't want to put out any specifics. just wanted to say that he was waiting for news from uconn and that visiting lville as we know was a backup in case something doesn't work out. players report on august 2nd and pads on the 3rd, so we will know soon prob...hope we get him in and all ready to go asap.

Great work, Dan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman