OT: - Bryce Harper to Phillies | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Bryce Harper to Phillies

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Matt Harvey for Mookie still a no for you Deepsterdomus?
It is my great hope that Harper's career trajectory resembles that of Matt Harvey.

Reaction Score
Matt Harvey for Mookie still a no for you Deepsterdomus?

I would take an established player over an unknown minor leaguer/young MLBer every single time. And if you judge that strategy on that instance, you'd lose a lot more than you'd win. But again, who knows? I'm not FartMan69.

Reaction Score
I would take an established player over an unknown minor leaguer/young MLBer every single time. And if you judge that strategy on that instance, you'd lose a lot more than you'd win. But again, who knows? I'm not FartMan69.
No sir you are not as I do not own the worst take this side of Chief00 like yourself.

Reaction Score
No sir you are not as I do not own the worst take this side of Chief00 like yourself.

From what I could tell, you've made the same joke now since June of 2015. May want to update the routine, FartMan69.

Reaction Score
Unless Harvey had multiple MVP type seasons under his belt I don’t know about I’d say that’d be impossible

Maybe we should see "multiple" before you continue talking like you have Willie Mays? He's really good but a ways to go before you can spew this crap. But you're a typical congrats on that.

Reaction Score
As a Mets fan, I love this deal.

a) He has shown the affinity to gag in big spots. That's not something that develops with experience. You got it or you don't.

b) Name a giant contract like this that's worked. That doesn't impact the next 5 years or so....but the Phillies didn't learn from Ryan Howard and with no opt-outs, they're absolutely pushing this franchise's chips to the middle of the table on a good 7-8 years on the back end.

c) He's not a good fielder. So you get what you get (hopefully) on offense and not much else. And if the designated hitter happens soon in the NL, do you really want to pay 30m a year for a guy swinging a bat 4 times a game?

Not. Impressed. At. All.

He gets $30M the first year when you ad the bonus. He's getting ~$22M in the last few years. Many of the giant contracts have worked.

Reaction Score
Bryce Harper May Already Be Past His Prime

1551475637882.png

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Thing is, the cost of 1 WAR has been increasing by an average of about 5.4% each year since 2006. So projecting forward through the life of Harper's deal, he really only needs to average 1.67 WAR per year over the 13 years. I'd assume he can do that, thus it's a good deal for Phils, even though I think he's a moron in general, and especially so if he passed on a reported shorter deal at $45 mil AAV with LAD. I hope the whole thing with bragging rights on getting the biggest contract comes back and bites him and Boras in the ass.

Reaction Score
While funny, i don’t know why people aren’t giving the Orioles more crap for also having a Bobby Bonilla day of their own

Fiscally, the deal with Bonilla worked out for the Mets. And there are lots of other similar deals like it elsewhere.

Reaction Score
So Harper is 26 and they signed him for 13 years. He got the deal of a lifetime.
He's going to take the Phillies to the cleaners for the last 3 or 4 years.
7 or 8.

Reaction Score
While funny, i don’t know why people aren’t giving the Orioles more crap for also having a Bobby Bonilla day of their own

Because it's not even remotely the same thing and the Mets are responsible for both payments from their deals they brokered.

New York Mets Bobby Bonilla Not Only Retired Player Getting Paid

The Mets are also not he only team paying Bonilla these days. They actually signed Bonilla to another contract with deferred money when he was brought in as a free agent in 1992, and was to be paid $500,000 from 2004 through 2023. When he was traded to the Baltimore Orioles, part of the agreement was that the Orioles would pick up half that deferred money. So, Bonilla not only gets a second check from the Mets, but he is still being paid by Baltimore as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom