OT: - Bryce Harper to Phillies | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Bryce Harper to Phillies

Reaction Score
$25M is not going to be a big figure in a decade. There’s risk in the fact that it’s a 13 year deal and injuries happen, but the DesignatedHitter is going to come to the NL soon enough and Harper's upside is a lot higher than that AAV would typically suggest. I also tend to believe that players that don't rely on speed/defense are more likely to retain their value as they age. I like the deal for Philly.
Yep, I feel the same way. He's also going from a park that has lower-than-average HR numbers to a bandbox in Philadelphia. The Nola deal was also a good deal for the Phils. He warranted a bigger/longer contract.

Reaction Score
Yep, I feel the same way. He's also going from a park that has lower-than-average HR numbers to a bandbox in Philadelphia. The Nola deal was also a good deal for the Phils. He warranted a bigger/longer contract.
Agreed. Love watching Nola. Crazy command and I have to admit coming out of LSU I wasn’t convinced he had the stuff to be better than a 4 or 5.

Reaction Score
I can't remember one of these big long contracts (that's what she said!) working out over the long haul. Manny and Bryce definitely seem like special situations though due to the very young age that they are hitting free agency. I think San Diego go the better deal with Manny, although Philly may be looking at the last 3 years or so of Bryce as a way of annuitizing his salary (less per year). I can also see Bryce becoming a solid, but not spectacular, player for about 7 of those 13 years (including a few clunkers towards the end). He's had injuries, seems to let emotions get to him (Philly can be unforgiving), and he's played a lot of ball (including a bunch behind the plate) despite his young age. Could be fun to watch him in Philly for a few years though.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It is a great place for him, brand wise. Philly fans are notorious for being hands down the worst fans in sports, so it's fitting that their baseball team now has as its biggest star they guy who fancies himself as the bad boy of baseball.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
With all the Bonilla comments it’s interetkng to note that the nats supposed offered to make Harper the next Bonilla with payments into his 60s

Reaction Score
I’m fine with it, but I was surprised there weren’t any opt outs or anything like that.

And the Machado deal is a much, much, much better deal on the whole.

Reaction Score
As a Mets fan, I love this deal.

a) He has shown the affinity to gag in big spots. That's not something that develops with experience. You got it or you don't.

b) Name a giant contract like this that's worked. That doesn't impact the next 5 years or so....but the Phillies didn't learn from Ryan Howard and with no opt-outs, they're absolutely pushing this franchise's chips to the middle of the table on a good 7-8 years on the back end.

c) He's not a good fielder. So you get what you get (hopefully) on offense and not much else. And if the designated hitter happens soon in the NL, do you really want to pay 30m a year for a guy swinging a bat 4 times a game?

Not. Impressed. At. All.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

a) He has shown the affinity to gag in big spots. That's not something that develops with experience. You got it or you don't.

b) Name a giant contract like this that's worked. That doesn't impact the next 5 years or so....but the Phillies didn't learn from Ryan Howard and with no opt-outs, they're absolutely pushing this franchise's chips to the middle of the table on a good 7-8 years on the back end.

c) He's not a good fielder. So you get what you get (hopefully) on offense and not much else. And if the Dan Hurley happens soon, do you really want to pay 30m a year for a guy swinging a bat 4 times a game?

Not. Impressed. At. All.

"Every team has a Mookie Betts"

Reaction Score
I think this an incredible deal for the Phillies. Players were getting $25M a year 10-15 years ago. Especially since the luxury cap is going to rise significantly in the next CBA.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
As I said in the Machado thread, I'm looking forward to Philly fans crushing Harper's soul at the inevitable first signs of underperforming. Marriage made in heaven... or hell, depending on one's POV.

Yep, I feel the same way. He's also going from a park that has lower-than-average HR numbers to a bandbox in Philadelphia.

Huh? There's almost no statistical difference. More HRs in Nats Park than even Yankee Stadium.

Reaction Score

If this is true could be a sign contracts are going to take a hit with the next collective bargaining agreement.

No way he couldn't get 9 yr/$150 m at age 30 if things were to stay the same

Reaction Score

c) He's not a good fielder. So you get what you get (hopefully) on offense and not much else. And if the designated hitter happens soon in the NL, do you really want to pay 30m a year for a guy swinging a bat 4 times a game?

Not. Impressed. At. All.
Well have fun not signing young stars and continuing being the Mets. Im sure the Wilpons plan of not spending money at all in the biggest market will pay off soon.

Reaction Score
"Every team has a Mookie Betts"
When he said that I spit out my coffee and I wasn't even drinking any. All time bad take. Might be the worst off all time. Should have taken a bow after that one.

Reaction Score
This team is LOADED and will be neck and neck with LA for the NL crown for the forseeable future yet folks are saying it's a bad deal to add a 26 year old MVP because in 10 freakin' years he may not be the same player?! But please keep referencing the Pujols or Cano deals because it's not like they were 30+ at the time.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Well have fun not signing young stars and continuing being the Mets. Im sure the Wilpons plan of not spending money at all in the biggest market will pay off soon.
Have fun vomiting on fans of other teams and throwing snowballs at Santa.

At least you don't have to have a jail and courthouse in your football stadium any more.

Baby steps. Stay classy, Philly. I can't wait until you turn on Harper and he becomes the albatross for your organization.

Reaction Score

At least you don't have to have a jail and courthouse in your football stadium any more.

Baby steps. Stay classy, Philly. I can't wait until you turn on Harper and he becomes the albatross for your organization.

Well that escalated quickly.

Reaction Score

You're talking to a Red Sox fan Jeff.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I'll say the same thing I said in the Machado thread. You're getting an all star talent at age 26 in a league that doesn't have a salary cap.

This is a great deal for the Phillies.

Reaction Score
13 years (with a no-trade clause?) seems insane to me.

i understand the appeal of a long-term contract from a player perspective, but if i were harper i would have tried for, like, 4 years/180 million or something in that range. that way, he can hit free agency again in his prime, and reevaluate the situation philly is in. that's the way nba players do it.

Reaction Score

Just sign deGrom and I'll be happy. In BVW we trust.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom