Bryant Shirreffs was a Warrior Saturday. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Bryant Shirreffs was a Warrior Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

Couldn't tell?
That tells you all you need to know about his arm - if you can't tell his throwing with or without a bad wrist. I am sure Thomas was thrilled he stayed in the game.

Reaction Score
The word warrior gets thrown around a lot, and especially coming from you it's not really - well whatever. He's a college football player, and not a soldier. Nobody needs to know that he played with a broken bone to know that the kid has the toughness to play the position he plays, if they've been watching this team through the season. People questioning whether or not he's got the goods to play the position, don't know what they're looking at.

He wasn't the first football player at UCONN, or the first quarterback at UCONN, to break a bone and keep playing in a game, and he won't be the last.

I'll be more impressed if the next time he's got a receiver in stride, open down the hashes for a TD, that he lays the ball out there for the receiver to run under and catch it.

Dealing with pain, and overcoming - is part of the game, and why I don't think that little kids really should play football. It's a grown up sport.
the use of the term warrior, or going to war, should be saved the the men playing in the Army - Navy- Air force games. As a vet myself, no combat, thank you G-d, I cringe when the NFL guys, talk about going to war. Football is physical, we all know that, and the players do give up their bodies, but they do not face death.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
the use of the term warrior, or going to war, should be saved the the men playing in the Army - Navy- Air force games. As a vet myself, no combat, thank you G-d, I cringe when the NFL guys, talk about going to war. Football is physical, we all know that, and the players do give up their bodies, but they do not face death.

I KNOW I shouldn't continue this stupid argument, but...

1) There is no "threat of death" prerequisite for the definition of the word warrior.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/warrior
  1. : a man engaged or experienced in warfare; broadly : a person engaged in some struggle or conflict <poverty warriors>
2) However rare, there IS a threat of death on the football field, which is why many parents choose not to let their sons play the game.
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/11/24/high-school-football-deaths-2015

3) The context in which the word warrior was used to start this thread does not have anything to do with our men and women in the military, nor does it detract from their bravery and sacrifice.

In the immortal words of HuskyMedic, "It's going to be a long off-season"...

Reaction Score
I KNOW I shouldn't continue this stupid argument, but...

1) There is no "threat of death" prerequisite for the definition of the word warrior.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/warrior
  1. : a man engaged or experienced in warfare; broadly : a person engaged in some struggle or conflict <poverty warriors>
2) However rare, there IS a threat of death on the football field, which is why many parents choose not to let their sons play the game.
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/11/24/high-school-football-deaths-2015

3) The context in which the word warrior was used to start this thread does not have anything to do with our men and women in the military, nor does it detract from their bravery and sacrifice.

In the immortal words of HuskyMedic, "It's going to be a long off-season"...
visit the wall or ww2 memorials and quote your dictionary. This thread needs to end NOW! too much raw emotion.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
visit the wall or ww2 memorials and quote your dictionary. This thread needs to end NOW! too much raw emotion.

The only one getting emotional is you. I feel no need to quote the definition of the word at any specific locale, since changing the locale won't change the definition. To those of you who took offense to Nostical's use of the word "warrior", I suggest you pour yourself a glass of champagne, relax, and think of more important things to complain about as you usher in the new year...

Reaction Score
The only one getting emotional is you. I feel no need to quote the definition of the word at any specific locale, since changing the locale won't change the definition. To those of you who took offense to Nostical's use of the word "warrior", I suggest you pour yourself a glass of champagne, relax, and think of more important things to complain about as you usher in the new year...
you served where? Your couch, your dorm room. Have that glass of champagne and it is no joke, that freedom is not free. I paid my dues, you did what? Appreciate what others did for you.
And to all a good night.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure one can respect our veterans and those who died in service of their country and understand what people are trying to get across when describing football players as Warriors.

This thread gets to the next level when a Native American gets angry the US military co-opted Warrior.

Fingers crossed!

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure one can respect our veterans and those who died in service of their country and understand what people are trying to get across when describing football players as Warriors.

This thread gets to the next level when a Native American gets angry the US military co-opted Warrior.

Fingers crossed!

I was actually waiting on a Steph Curry - Golden State Warriors reference, but yours is clearly the higher hurdle to clear... ;)

Reaction Score
I went to Rippowam...and we were the true Warriors!

Pfft... True Warriors
file_190009_9_road-warriors.jpg

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score

I went to Danbury High and in 1985 Vince McMahon's limo drove onto the visitor's sideline during one of our JV Football games against Trumbull. Hatter's Park in Danbury to be exact.

Long story short, right before halftime the game went from "chippy" to mayhem and the benches cleared. Just us kids at first but then parents and coaches too. Vince stepped out of the limo only to have his face pushed in by the Father of our starting linebacker. Blue collar guy one punched him while Ed had a cigar in his mouth! Security pushed Shane in the car and I'm pretty sure he went to private school after that. Did a prep year in Maine with a few of my FB buddies and he was a punk there too.

Reaction Score
I went to Danbury High and in 1985 Vince McMahon's limo drove onto the visitor's sideline during one of our JV Football games against Trumbull. Hatter's Park in Danbury to be exact.

Long story short, right before halftime the game went from "chippy" to mayhem and the benches cleared. Just us kids at first but then parents and coaches too. Vince stepped out of the limo only to have his face pushed in by the Father of our starting linebacker. Blue collar guy one punched him while Ed had a cigar in his mouth! Security pushed Shane in the car and I'm pretty sure he went to private school after that. Did a prep year in Maine with a few of my FB buddies and he was a punk there too.
I thought McMahon went to Greenwich HS?

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score

I think he did but I'm old and for some reason remember him at Trumbull schools when he was freshman/sophomore. Story is accurate, the school of our opponent might be wrong.

Reaction Score
I think he did but I'm old and for some reason remember him at Trumbull schools when he was freshman/sophomore. Story is accurate, the school of our opponent might be wrong.
Ok..only reason I ask is I know of a few guys he went to HS with in Greenwich were wrestlers in the WWF/WWE. And a friend of mine went there with him.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
He went to Bridgeton in Maine with a few of my buddies after HS. All boys prep school and that story haunted him.

EDIT: This was a few years before the WWF/(WWE) went global and exploded.

Reaction Score

Fingers crossed!
a voice of reason. thank you.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score

Sent a text to my best friend who also played in that JV game. He said it was Greenwich. Good call FDNY.

The same friend went to Bridgeton Academy with Shane.

Reaction Score

Maybe take a break and learn the difference between literally and figuratively, maybe it wouldn't bother you so much. And without knowing anyone else on the board maybe calling them out for what they have or have not done is a poor approach, there are many current and former military here.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
When did you graduate? I'm a Black Knight (SHS) class of '78 grad myself but I knew a lot of Rip grads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom