Bruce out | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Bruce out

Reaction Score
You don't need to fix it.

Bruce was manager back when the US was missing on that age group.

Yes let's throw a parade over beating better competition than a Gold Cup and only losing to teams that were much, much better than us.

We basically had to play Argentina with most of our midfield on suspension. And besides it's ARGENTINA. Good grief man.

Ummm, I'm not upset over losing to Argentina.

I'm laughing at your argument about the importance of the Copa and the fact you used that performance to argue we weren't going backwards. You said it yourself we would go on to face worse competition, but seem to forget the games we lost against that worse competition.

Beating Costa Rica 4-0 was great. Hanging tough with Colombia instills hope. I'm not impressed with wins over Ecuador and Paraguay on US soil. We should win those games.

Following those up with losses to Jamaica, Panama, Guatemala, Mexico and Costa Rica is terrible, and a huge step back from where we were just the summer before.

We beat Costa Rica 4-0 in the Copa. In the much, much, much more important WCQ game that followed, we lost 4-0. That's called regression.

We hadn't lost to Guatemala in 20+ years.

"Good grief" indeed. You can't make this stuff up.

Reaction Score
Ummm, I'm not upset over losing to Argentina.

I'm laughing at your argument about the importance of the Copa and the fact you used that performance to argue we weren't going backwards. You said it yourself we would go on to face worse competition, but seem to forget the games we lost against that worse competition.

Beating Costa Rica 4-0 was great. Hanging tough with Colombia instills hope. I'm not impressed with wins over Ecuador and Paraguay on US soil. We should win those games.

Following those up with losses to Jamaica, Panama, Guatemala, Mexico and Costa Rica is terrible, and a huge step back from where we were just the summer before.

We beat Costa Rica 4-0 in the Copa. In the much, much, much more important WCQ game that followed, we lost 4-0. That's called regression.

We hadn't lost to Guatemala in 20+ years.

"Good grief" indeed. You can't make this stuff up.

You don't get that the Copa is greater than the Gold Cup? Ok dude. Tell me again why you are worth having a discussion about soccer with....

Reaction Score
But the fact is we really didn't beat anyone of note in the Copa. The other fact is that Jurgen didn't equal what Bradley did before him, and it's pretty much accepted that Bradley sucked. Both made it to the knockout round in the World Cup, and our run in the Confederations Cup > our run in the Copa.

How did he not equal what Bradley did? At least Jurgen didn't lose to Ghana.

Bradley struggled to get out of a group of cupcakes. Jurgen got out of the group of death.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
How did he not equal what Bradley did? At least Jurgen didn't lose to Ghana.

Bradley struggled to get out of a group of cupcakes. Jurgen got out of the group of death.

You think losing to that Ghana team was shameful? Tell me again why you are worth having a discussion about soccer with... :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
You think losing to that Ghana team was shameful? Tell me again why you are worth having a discussion about soccer with... :rolleyes:

Not so fast. They may not be a hot shot euro team like your hero Bruce mentioned, but Jurgen was the only one of three managers to beat them.

Bradley is worse than all three. Struggled to get out of the group with a bunch of good players in their prime.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Not so fast. They may not be a hot shot euro team like your hero Bruce mentioned, but Jurgen was the only one of three managers to beat them.

Bradley is worse than all three. Struggled to get out of the group with a bunch of good players in their prime.

My hero Bruce?

You crack me up. I'm still surprised you've gone 10 straight posts without typing the word "Landycakes"...

Reaction Score
You don't get that the Copa is greater than the Gold Cup? Ok dude. Tell me again why you are worth having a discussion about soccer with....

I didn't say one was greater than the other.

But if we beat Costa Rica 4-0 in the WCQ instead of the Copa, then we are playing in the WC, and that's more meaningful than anything else in the sport. So that game is more meaningful. I know you're an intelligent guy, this isn't meant to be facetious, but it's like you're trying to miss the point just to argue.

You keep moving the goalposts, and missing field goals. You haven't been able to refute a single thing I've said, you just keep missing the context and creating strawmen to disagree with. Don't be a and start throwing out personal insults. You're completely irrational on this subject.

Reaction Score
Cool catch phrase! Bruce got obliterated. Jurgen doesn't lose to TT's C team when a tie is needed. Period. Stick to MLS

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Give it a rest people. The U.S. Men’s National Team hasn’t had a really good manager ever really. At least not in 30+ years. So who cares which of those losers was worst (it was Bradley)? JK tried to fix some development stuff and I give him credit for that.

The future is what matters. The next hire matters. Buy in to shake up the system will matter. It’d be more interesting to talk about that, than about which turd smelled best.

Reaction Score
But the fact is we really didn't beat anyone of note in the Copa. The other fact is that Jurgen didn't equal what Bradley did before him, and it's pretty much accepted that Bradley sucked. Both made it to the knockout round in the World Cup, and our run in the Confederations Cup > our run in the Copa.

Nobody gives a crap about the Confed Cup. It might be going away anyways.

Reaction Score
Give it a rest people. The U.S. Men’s National Team hasn’t had a really good manager ever really. At least not in 30+ years. So who cares which of those losers was worst (it was Bradley)? JK tried to fix some development stuff and I give him credit for that.

The future is what matters. The next hire matters. Buy in to shake up the system will matter. It’d be more interesting to talk about that, than about which turd smelled best.

We will get a caretaker until the election. I hope Sunil doesn’t try to make a permanent hire.

I just want a guy to manage the senior team and maybe recruit a little. It would be nice if it was someone with international credibility.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
We will get a caretaker until the election. I hope Sunil doesn’t try to make a permanent hire.

I just want a guy to manage the senior team and maybe recruit a little. It would be nice if it was someone with international credibility.

Probably Tab Ramos. He does at least know the young guys.

Reaction Score
How are we still making this lazy Bruce Arena/Randy Edsall comparison?
Randy left UConn for Maryland at his peak, gave it a shot at his 'dream job,' then consulted with the Lions - which we're seeing was a humbling and learning experience for him, as he's gotten the Huskies back on track.
Bruce was fired, went back to the MLS echo chamber and kept his moronic, small minded ideas for his second go-around. And failed miserably.

Bruce would have had to coach an Ajax, another national team before returning to USMNT before we can compare the two guys.

+ much more. No comparison.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Randy left UConn for Maryland at his peak, gave it a shot at his 'dream job,' then consulted with the Lions - which we're seeing was a humbling and learning experience for him, as he's gotten the Huskies back on track.
Bruce was fired, went back to the MLS echo chamber and kept his moronic, small minded ideas for his second go-around. And failed miserably.

Bruce would have had to coach an Ajax, another national team before returning to USMNT before we can compare the two guys.

They aren’t similar at all. But the hires were both decisions to go with the safe guy who had gotten it done for you before.

But I believe, behind the scenes, there was no direction to Bruce to do anything new. Just qualify. I believe that Benedict likely had in depth conversations with Edsall about his approach, about changes in the offensive game, and he may have known he could get Lashlee. So while Randy was the safe hire, once the staff filled in, he wasn’t the same old Randy Edsall. Arena was the same old Bruce Arena.

Reaction Score

Another guy with reading comprehension problems. Go back and read the post and explanation or just s.t.f up about “lazy”

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I liken to the Arena hire to Edsall's return. Each was the safe choice. Some hated it, some liked it, most leaned toward begrudgingly accepting the reasons behind the hire, while eagerly anticipating his replacement.
Bingo.

Reaction Score
They would not have made it to the knockout round. IMHO.

Not enough guys in their Prime. They were trying to ride the older guys one more time and they got caught. Maybe Bradley survives, but other than that look for a completely new roster in 2022.

Reaction Score
They would not have made it to the knockout round. IMHO.

Not enough guys in their Prime. They were trying to ride the older guys one more time and they got caught. Maybe Bradley survives, but other than that look for a completely new roster in 2022.

Close, but you mean too many guys past their prime.

There was a conscious effort to pass over younger players who were available.

Reaction Score
Depends which direction he takes. Does he learn from his experience as a player in Europe and usher the kids there or stay loyal to Bruce/SUM/MLS and keep talent stateside?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom