BRING the BUN BACK | The Boneyard

BRING the BUN BACK

Status
Not open for further replies.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
it occurred to me while watching oregon guard paopao in an exciting ducks vs arizona game sunday (a day that also saw stanford squeak past cal by just 4 points) that while there are many hairstyles among the players these days, the bun has nearly vanished. why?

on the huskies -- where d wore the doo faithfully -- there are liya, who was an early adaptor of the modern look, and azzi with her pigtails. paige has her distinctive-on-the-court coif. without trying to recall exactly what the others prefer, i don't believe anyone -- perhaps except aubry (i'm no fashion maven) -- sports a bun.

i put forth that this is a big mistake.

for safety reasons. a healthy pillow of hair on the back of the head can be a godsend when falling to the floor or when a vicious elbow targets a noggin. plus, for the fans, it allows easier identification of players when lots of luxurious locks hide a name or numbers on jersey backs ... well, at least opposing players. i'm sure BYers know all the huskies on sight.

i suppose it might be a challenge for liya to switch her style into a protective bun. paige has her 'brand' to keep intact. but for sure nika, caroline, ines (others?) have an abundance of tresses to stack up.

Last edited:

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
The Bun Rocks!!
Vamos Katie Lou Samuelson GIF by CB PERFUMERIAS AVENIDA

Reaction Score
it occurred to me while watching oregon guard paopao in an exciting ducks vs arizona game sunday (a day that also saw stanford squeak past cal by just 4 points) that while there are many hairstyles among the players these days, the bun has nearly vanished. why?

on the huskies -- where d wore the doo faithfully -- there are liya, who was an early adaptor of the modern look, and azzi with her pigtails. paige has her distinctive-on-the-court coif. without trying to recall exactly what the others prefer, i don't believe anyone -- perhaps except aubry (i'm no fashion maven) -- sports a bun.

for safety reasons. a healthy pillow of hair on the back of the head can be a godsend when falling to the floor or when a vicious elbow targets a noggin. plus, for the fans, it allows easier identification of players when lots of luxurious locks hide a name or numbers on jersey backs ... well, at least opposing players. i'm sure BYers know all the huskies on sight.

i suppose it might be a challenge for liya to switch her style into a protective bun. paige has her 'brand' to keep intact. but for sure nika, caroline, ines (others?) have an abundance of tresses to stack up.
The bun also makes it easier for the refs to identify the players. I expect Nika will continue to wear her hair in a ponytail.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Pony tails win over buns for this year's team.

Pony tails: Nika, Dorka, Caroline, Ines
Buns: Lou, Aubrey
Braids: Azzi, Aaliyah
Natural: Ayanna, Amari (subject to change)

For the record

Reaction Score
Nika’s ponytail flying behind her as she flies down court is a bit of a signature!
Shea's pony tail was like a comet streaking by, a close encounter, past the rest of basketball world. She has got to be the poster child for bad luck...

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Being a man who is follically challenged, and hasn't had a haircut OR "do" in a couple decades, I believe I am a highly qualified to comment on what hairstyle young women should wear while playing basketball. :confused:

(but for any record, a Kim Wexler ponytail every day, twice on Sunday)

Reaction Score
Shea's pony tail was like a comet streaking by, a close encounter, past the rest of basketball world. She has got to be the poster child for bad luck...

Caroline Doty says "hi"

Reaction Score

I'm not following the logic of why a bun is beneficial, however in Aaliyah's case, her braids provide a good buffer. Unlike a ponytail with caucasian hair, the braids are in layers. Tied together, it's a lot thicker than what people may assume.

When I see buns, majority of the hair is at the top with the hair pulled up. How much of a buffer does this actually provide? As a black woman, I don't know but I'd assume it's not that thick depending on the actual hair texture.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I'm not following the logic of why a bun is beneficial, however in Aaliyah's case, her braids provide a good buffer. Unlike a ponytail with caucasian hair, the braids are in layers. Tied together, it's a lot thicker than what people may assume.

When I see buns, majority of the hair is at the top with the hair pulled up. How much of a buffer does this actually provide? As a black woman, I don't know but I'd assume it's not that thick depending on the actual hair texture.
The people saying that are guys and not ones that might have a man bun. I personally can’t keep my hair up without a bunch of barrettes or bobby pins and I can’t imagine falling on those.

Reaction Score
The people saying that are guys and not ones that might have a man bun. I personally can’t keep my hair up without a bunch of barrettes or bobby pins and I can’t imagine falling on those.
Understood. Personally, I find this discussion a tad unnerving. It comes across more about a person's preference for hairstyles under the guise of head protection.

sun

Reaction Score
Did anyone else notice that Aubrey had braids in her hair instead of a bun for the SJ's game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom