Bring back TJ Weist? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Bring back TJ Weist?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
TJ Weist coaches six games and he's Vince Lombardi. JFC.

Note to everyone: there are many, many, many other good coaches out there. Who UConn can hire.

So which person do you want then?

Sarge

RumRunner
Reaction Score
TJ did a great job as interim HC, would love to see him back as OC but I doubt Edsall would bring him back. Too bad!

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I don't know, but I do know I don't love the idea of expanding the Retread U program for the unemployed.

So if you don't know, maybe it's best to not criticize others who have a favorite, don't you think?

As for me, I think Weist could do a good job and wouldn't be upset with him, but I'm guessing that Edsall is going to go into his own rolodex to get a name. I'm hoping that Orlovsky is only brought in as a QB coach though...

Reaction Score
I hope Randy made some B1G connections and knows a RL from there who can come here and potentially work his way up to HC when Randy retires

Reaction Score
Good god, no. No TJ. My goodness he went 3-5. The first win we needed 7 plays from the 1 and a huge D effort to beat a bad temple team and then we beat Rutgers and a Memphis team that never got off the bus. Can we please move on. Can we not do better.

Reaction Score
If Palatine was selected as OC would he openly root for the QB coach to be his own replacement?
I'm for anyone who is productive. And I am for replacing anyone who is not. So YOU are on notice.

Reaction Score
He could be a reasonable candidate at least. This isn't like when people wanted to make him head coach for 2.5 good games. It's offensive coordinator and he's now had more experience elsewhere.

Reaction Score
I think TJ has earned an interview, but I'm not sure I would hand him the job.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
No chance Edsall would consider Weist. He has dumped on the previous two coaching regimes. No way he brings on anyone associated with those two regimes.

Weist was brought in by Manuel, and Pasqualoni was gone by midseason. His attachment to Pasqualoni is coincidental and marginal at best. Still, unless it represents a significant pay increase and potential serious consideration as HC after Edsall retires, I doubt he'd be interested in coming back.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
We need to be looking at a current OC with a proven ability to design and call plays that is under 40. Not a requirement, but a plus would be a person from north of DC. Weist might be able to do the job, but I have no faith it would be at a + level with a + level success on recruiting. Can Weist pull in future QBs - lifeblood of football?

I like the idea of this Gleeson kid down at Princeton. I want someone with a reasonable expectation to get 3 years of service from. 3 years is the most one can expect in college coaching. Anyone good moves on and anyone not performing is replaced typically at the end of 3.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We need to be looking at a current OC with a proven ability to design and call plays that is under 40. Not a requirement, but a plus would be a person from north of DC. Weist might be able to do the job, but I have no faith it would be at a + level with a + level success on recruiting. Can Weist pull in future QBs - lifeblood of football?

I like the idea of this Gleeson kid down at Princeton. I want someone with a reasonable expectation to get 3 years of service from. 3 years is the most one can expect in college coaching. Anyone good moves on and anyone not performing is replaced typically at the end of 3.

Maybe Lightning strikes and Gleeson becomes the Brad Stevens of CFB.

Reaction Score
Sean Gleeson Promoted To Off. Coordinator/Quarterbacks Coach For Ivy Champion Football Team - Princeton University

Sean Gleeson has done an exceptional job in every responsibility he has had at Princeton," said Surace, the Ivy League Head Coach of the Year and a three-time FCS National Head Coach of the Year finalist. "He has had a big role in the success of our offense as the running backs coach, he did a tremendous job calling plays in our J.V. games the previous three years, he was an outstanding offensive coordinator for my brother Brian at Farleigh Dickenson, and our special teams units were consistently the best in the Ivy League last fall.

Reaction Score
Sean Gleeson Promoted To Off. Coordinator/Quarterbacks Coach For Ivy Champion Football Team - Princeton University

Sean Gleeson has done an exceptional job in every responsibility he has had at Princeton," said Surace, the Ivy League Head Coach of the Year and a three-time FCS National Head Coach of the Year finalist. "He has had a big role in the success of our offense as the running backs coach, he did a tremendous job calling plays in our J.V. games the previous three years, he was an outstanding offensive coordinator for my brother Brian at Farleigh Dickenson, and our special teams units were consistently the best in the Ivy League last fall.
No more IAA coaches...we have one failing miserably. If we want to be a big boy program, go get some IA experience.

Reaction Score
When last seen at UCONN TJ's offense was putting up big big numbers. The players were pissed he didn't get the HC gig.

and BTW he coached USF to a bowl win last year.

I googled TJ Weist and one of the things that came up on the net was a thread I started on the Boneyard last year (Jan. 2, 2017). Time flys but some things never change:

Confident Carl

Since Charlie Strong is bringing his guy Sterling Gilbert from TX, I would love ❤️ to see TJ offered the OC/associate head coach position on RE's staff. He also had Shaun King, QB coach on his USF staff and I would like to see him come along with TJ to develop Donovan Williams. USF won 11 games last year and beat South Carolina in the Birmingham bowl. Not only could TJ bring some of that staff (who have FL high school coaching back grounds) but also some of their Florida High School recruits. I wrote a letter to Benedict and the athletic department expressing this idea. It would complete the Home Coming and it would certainly be well received by the fans! Interesting that both Randy and TJ have Birmingham bowl victories over SEC member South Carolina!

1. Report: Sterlin Gilbert, Matt Mattox joining Charlie Strong at South Florida

USF interim coach T.J. Weist uses 'Alabama way' in Birmingham Bowl

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
    Jan 2, 2017ReportReplies

KSC94, HuskyPete, Huskygamble19 and 5 others like this.
Later in the thread :

Confident Carl

Did you get a response from Athletic Director Dave as of yet?

Not yet. I sent it to David Benedict, Beth Goetz and Vic Cegles. I didn't expect a response other than thanks for your interest in UCONN football. I have met them at various events and understand that theses developments are hush, hush. Most times the associate athletic directors don't even know what is going on. I just wanted to give them my thoughts about TJ. As I have posted, I also like Donnie Kirkpatrick at JMU. I am looking forward to the FCS championship game at noon tomorrow. Also like Fordham's Andrew Breiner as a possibility. An announcement of any of those three would be exciting to me. There are so many variables that go into this hire.

Whether under Diaco or Edsall, the OC is still one of the most important hires in the last six years after experiencing the pathetic offenses under George DeLeone, Mike Cummings and Frank Verducci, UCONN fans are starving to see explosive offensive football! I realize that takes talent which is a huge variable!

We all should hear something real soon. All we can do is hope for the best! I understand it's hard too after all the past disappointment.

Jan 6, 2017ReportReplies
Saab04, Bonehead and coachcap like this.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom