Brimah's defense | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Brimah's defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Another POINT just got raised.

If Brimah is going to chase and extend to shotblock often, the TANDEM Big (Facey or others) have to play a different way. Fundamental blocking out seems to have been lost since we lost those 4 guys since April. We were not a good rebounding team early in 2013-2014. We got much better because we all played our assignments; that means blocking out and hustling for the ball. And our guards (Boatright, Napier, Samuel, Kromah ... and YES Giffey) all went for the ball while keeping their guy out. I see far too much interior position this year.

Reaction Score
Personally, Im not that impressed with Traci Carter. I may be in the minority but I don't see him stepping in and being better than anyone of our guards this year aftter the productive summer they should have after being exposed.

This maybe unpopular but I really like what we have from a guard standpoint from next year. The kids know what they need to work on, I know Ollie lets them know religously and some will come back improved some won't but will come with a higher basketball IQ. If tracey does commit no chance he plays over T Sam in my eyes and if he does I would have a ton of questions for our player development department.

I am on board with getting a athletic wing with some kind of stroke.. Somewhere between 6'4-6'7, who can get lets say 10-15 minutes at the 2-3 guard. I see hamilton being a starting 3 and select 4 with the correct matchup and Facey being starting 4 and play some 5 if brimah is in foul trouble.

In no way is Mr. Carter a 'must get' in my eyes.

Reaction Score
Personally, Im not that impressed with Traci Carter. I may be in the minority but I don't see him stepping in and being better than anyone of our guards this year aftter the productive summer they should have after being exposed.

This maybe unpopular but I really like what we have from a guard standpoint from next year. The kids know what they need to work on, I know Ollie lets them know religously and some will come back improved some won't but will come with a higher basketball IQ. If tracey does commit no chance he plays over T Sam in my eyes and if he does I would have a ton of questions for our player development department.

I am on board with getting a athletic wing with some kind of stroke.. Somewhere between 6'4-6'7, who can get lets say 10-15 minutes at the 2-3 guard. I see hamilton being a starting 3 and select 4 with the correct matchup and Facey being starting 4 and play some 5 if brimah is in foul trouble.

Must get, I agree he's not. If he can handle, he will play as much or more than TSam. If he can pass and shoot as well as handle, TSam will play less. But highlight video's don't tell the whole story, who can tell?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Must get, I agree he's not. If he can handle, he will play as much or more than TSam. If he can pass and shoot as well as handle, TSam will play less. But highlight video's don't tell the whole story, who can tell?

Im just in the business of believing that a player already at Uconn will be able to contribute more than a player coming in from high school... Who has 3*, it be one thing if Carter had an elite or above average build for the one like samuels but no.. I think that samuels will do what he needs to do to come back better than Traci and if he doesn't, that be a shame

Reaction Score
About Brimah...he's immensely better at shooting, dunking, and blocking than he was at this same point in the season last year. He seems to understand positioning better too, both defensively and offensively. Can't say he's any better at rebounding.

Last year at this time he was splitting the center position with Nolan because they were equal in ability. Think about that. Brimah had bad hands, didn't know how to dunk, had zero shooting ability. Point is that Brimah has come a long way from where he was a scant year ago. Obviously he has a long way to go, but if he makes the same progress between now and next year at this time, we'll have a monster at center.

Reaction Score

wrong thread apologies

Reaction Score
About Brimah...he's immensely better at shooting, dunking, and blocking than he was at this same point in the season last year. He seems to understand positioning better too, both defensively and offensively. Can't say he's any better at rebounding.

Last year at this time he was splitting the center position with Nolan because they were equal in ability. Think about that. Brimah had bad hands, didn't know how to dunk, had zero shooting ability. Point is that Brimah has come a long way from where he was a scant year ago. Obviously he has a long way to go, but if he makes the same progress between now and next year at this time, we'll have a monster at center.

What I would love to see more of, which would take away from his oops, would be some foul line jumpers. To me his 10-12 foot range looks money a lot when he has the time to square. I would much rather run some stuff that gets him open on the foul line for 12 footers or the baseline.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I'd bet AB makes the NBA after his time at UCONN.
Which will make the "He sucks" arguments difficult.

Danz, there are people saying he shouldn't be here and he is a poor player.

Reaction Score
I'd bet AB makes the NBA after his time at UCONN.
Which will make the "He sucks" arguments difficult.

Danz, there are people saying he shouldn't be here and he is a poor player.

People who say he has a long way to go are correct and there's no denying that. People who dare to say he sucks and shouldn't be here are dopes and not worth reading. That's just pain ridiculous.

Reaction Score
What I would love to see more of, which would take away from his oops, would be some foul line jumpers. To me his 10-12 foot range looks money a lot when he has the time to square. I would much rather run some stuff that gets him open on the foul line for 12 footers or the baseline.

Yup, totally agree. The Jeff Adrien elbow jumper. Would open up his game and make him someone that the opposing team would have to gameplan for. Which opens things up for Boat, etal. I think Brimah's capable of making that shot today.

Reaction Score
He did a better job of staying in front of his player. He's learning that he cannot play defense from the side or behind.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Yup, totally agree. The Jeff Adrien elbow jumper.

Kind of random but for some reason the Adrien elbow jumper seems to be debated by UConn fans at total ends of the spectrum.

I happen to remember him hitting those a lot, while other friends say he always missed. Tried to find a shot chart but never came up with one.

Long live the Texas a&m game.

Reaction Score
I think Kentan Facey has the best, most consistent stroke on the team. (why then doesn't he shoot 100% from FT? ... I think just repetition)

Both Brimah and Facey should be part of the early offense and both shoot 10-15 foot jumpers from the Foul line in games. Their stroke, in rhythm, is reliable - IMO. And, both can benefit from opening up the down low b forcing Bigs to guard further out.

Reaction Score
Kind of random but for some reason the Adrien elbow jumper seems to be debated by UConn fans at total ends of the spectrum.

I happen to remember him hitting those a lot, while other friends say he always missed. Tried to find a shot chart but never came up with one.

Long live the Texas a&m game.

Jeff made a better % of those than most, you are much more correct than your buddies.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Jeff made a better % of those than most, you are much more correct than your buddies.

I don't know what it was about that, but I felt like I would constantly defend that shot haha.

I thought maybe because he was my favorite Husky I was biased.

Reaction Score
I don't know what it was about that, but I felt like I would constantly defend that shot haha.

I thought maybe because he was my favorite Husky I was biased.

Funny thing is at times he was very frustrating to me and yet I felt very comfortable with him taking that shot. And the last few years watching our bigs I never actually knew what frustrating would be :oops:

Reaction Score
this thread debating if brimah is a good defender is the ultimate bonaeyard inane useless nonsensical discusssion that resembles a serious a drop in hoops knowledge on this board. you guys watch one possession and stamp brimah for that. he is an undulating wave of production on the defensive end when he's on the floor. this shouldn't be an argument. just because he isn't conventional, the nitpicking on him is comical .

Reaction Score
this thread debating if brimah is a good defender is the ultimate bonaeyard inane useless nonsensical discusssion that resembles a serious a drop in hoops knowledge on this board. you guys watch one possession and stamp brimah for that. he is an undulating wave of production on the defensive end when he's on the floor. this shouldn't be an argument. just because he isn't conventional, the nitpicking on him is comical .

Amazing how many disagree with you. And it's not like no one thinks he doesn't have in impact but when you say stuff like "he is an undulating wave of production in the defensive end.." there's only one person's knowledge that needs to be questioned. Actually it's not your knowledge because I've agreed with your input so much and respected your knowledge, it's your over enthusiastic loyalty for him on that end. Tell me isn't everyone right that he needs to really improve his rebounding consistency, his hedging/help defense amongst other things? I mean this is not at all people wishing he wasn't a Husky or people thinking he's playing too much. It's people who know he can be really good if his IQ and strength improve. I mean do you think he's even close to Emeka, Hasheem or even Jake or Travis at this point? They were really good, a couple you may be able to say "a wave of production" down that end. He's not there but it's not a BAD thing and no one is saying it is.

Reaction Score
Amazing how many disagree with you. And it's not like no one thinks he doesn't have in impact but when you say stuff like "he is an undulating wave of production in the defensive end.." there's only one person's knowledge that needs to be questioned. Actually it's not your knowledge because I've agreed with your input so much and respected your knowledge, it's your over enthusiastic loyalty for him on that end. Tell me isn't everyone right that he needs to really improve his rebounding consistency, his hedging/help defense amongst other things? I mean this is not at all people wishing he wasn't a Husky or people thinking he's playing too much. It's people who know he can be really good if his IQ and strength improve. I mean do you think he's even close to Emeka, Hasheem or even Jake or Travis at this point? They were really good, a couple you may be able to say "a wave of production" down that end. He's not there but it's not a BAD thing and no one is saying it is.
mau just examine the numbers. and even court play. he is our defensive ANCHOR. he barks out pnr coverage. a poor rebounder, but thats kind of situational. he boxes out quite a bit, its not like rebounds are lost because of his positioning. if we didn't have a pg or sf who ball hawk defensive boards he would have more. its that simple. he moves side to side tremendously. just wait so we can bump this thread.

Reaction Score
mau just examine the numbers. and even court play. he is our defensive ANCHOR. he barks out pnr coverage. a poor rebounder, but thats kind of situational. he boxes out quite a bit, its not like rebounds are lost because of his positioning. if we didn't have a pg or sf who ball hawk defensive boards he would have more. its that simple. he moves side to side tremendously. just wait so we can bump this thread.

Ok

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC