Brimah Vs. Okafor - First 3 games comparison | The Boneyard

Brimah Vs. Okafor - First 3 games comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Game 1:-------------------------------------------------
Emeka - 11 pts , 12 boards, 1 block, 25 minutes (Vanderbilt)
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/datadump/MBasketball/MediaCenter/VandyBox.pdf

Brimah - 5 pts , 3 boards , 3 blocks , 15 minutes (Maryland)
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2013-2014/1314mbb1.html

Game 2:-------------------------------------------------
Emeka - 7 pts , 6 boards , 5 blocks , 25 minutes (New Hampshire)
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/datadump/MBasketball/MediaCenter/mbb02box.pdf

Brimah - 7 pts , 1 board , 7 blocks , 24 minutes (Yale)
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2013-2014/1314mb02.html

Game 3:-------------------------------------------------
Emeka - 3 pts , 4 boards , 3 blocks , 21 minutes (George Washington)
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/datadump/MBasketball/MediaCenter/mbb03.pdf

Brimah - 4 pts , 2 boards , 4 blocks , 14 minutes (Detroit)
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2013-2014/1314mb03.html

TOTALS:
Okafor - 7 ppg , 7.3 rpg , 3 bpg , 71 minutes
Brimah - 5.3 ppg , 2 rpg , 4.7 bpg , 53 minutes

In summary the first 3 games of each of their careers were against similar competition.
Brimah needs to rebound but for pts and blocks he's doing well for the amount of minutes he has.

Reaction Score
So far better shot blocker and more efficienct at scoring points (good assists?) if he improves rebounding he might be the next two time defensive player of the year.

Reaction Score
Okafor was more rounded coming into UConn as a Freshman than Brimah. Okafor was also more physically developed, yes both were/are thin. Brimah is definitely taller & possibly more athletic, but a bit more mechanical on offense right now That said, both players seem to have similarities with their need to learn & succeed beyond most normal players. They were/are sponges with high motors. You can tell both had/have unique qualities that make each one special. Brimah needs to work on gaining more strength, but he's going to leave UConn as another great big man. I said this back in February, only to be chided by some who felt Brimah was a "reach" or "redshirt candidate", but this guy will be showing up on Mock Drafts very soon.... NBA Scouts know potential & Brimah has that! Yes, I think Brimah can be THAT good... can't teach what this guy has...

Reaction Score
Okafor was more rounded coming into UConn as a Freshman than Brimah. Okafor was also more physically developed, yes both were/are thin. Brimah is definitely taller & possibly more athletic, but a bit more mechanical on offense right now That said, both players seem to have similarities with their need to learn & succeed beyond most normal players. They were/are sponges with high motors. You can tell both had/have unique qualities that make each one special. Brimah needs to work on gaining more strength, but he's going to leave UConn as another great big man. I said this back in February, only to be chided by some who felt Brimah was a "reach" or "redshirt candidate", but this guy will be showing up on Mock Drafts very soon.... NBA Scouts know potential & Brimah has that! Yes, I think Brimah can be THAT good... can't teach what this guy has...
Only if he learns how to rebound. Love his attitude though.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score

TOTALS:

In summary the first 3 games of each of their careers were against similar competition.
Brimah needs to rebound but for pts and blocks he's doing well for the amount of minutes he has.

Okafor was significantly stronger, IMHO, than Brimah as a freshman, which is reflected in the rebounding totals. Amida is taller and has great forward quickness--he gets going very quickly and has great speed for his size down the court. Emeka had better lateral quickness. Amida can become really, really good if he can improve his ability to hold his spot and secure rebounds. What a great surprise....Amida is a real gem!

Reaction Score
Okafor was significantly stronger, IMHO, than Brimah as a freshman, which is reflected in the rebounding totals. Amida is taller and has great forward quickness--he gets going very quickly and has great speed for his size down the court. Emeka had better lateral quickness. Amida can become really, really good if he can improve his ability to hold his spot and secure rebounds. What a great surprise....Amida is a real gem!
Do u take strength vs quickness and length? U can develop strength from freshman going forward but you cant teach length and quickness only to an extent. Brimah no doubt will be a big for the uconn ages, he will be in discussions with emeka and thabeet.

Reaction Score
Thanks for putting the numbers together. A lot of people are comparing the two players although they are different.
Nobody ripped the ball from Emeka in a struggle for the ball - or Adrien. They were strong . Other players can rip it away from AB. He will be doing the hand in the sand and get stronger. Who doesn't love this kid already though. He has his own style and a ton of energy. He is as happy as I've seen any player to be out on the floor.

Reaction Score
All this talk for now is great but he needs to rebound and understand where to be a lot better. Don't get me wrong he's excellent and from the "raw" player we expected, man we got lucky. But the games will vary and he will look lost at times so let's temper our expectations. One thing EO did was always rebound and AB needs to get there. Some of it is strength, some of it is trying to block everything and some is just positioning himself. He's not there yet but I like him on my team while he's learning!

Reaction Score
Okafor as a junior was a first team AA . I can't believe 3 games in against marginal talent we are connecting these 2 players. Can't it wait until the end of the year? Brimah will be brought down to size eventually, and I guess people will then give him some leeway and time.

He is not Emeka, but a raw developing Center with outstanding potential. Expectations are getting loftier and loftier, not sure if I've ever seen this board like this.

Why not compare him to Jake or even Thabeet for that matter after 3 games?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Okafor as a junior was a first team AA . I can't believe 3 games in against marginal talent we are connecting these 2 players. Can't it wait until the end of the year? Brimah will be brought down to size eventually, and I guess people will then give him some leeway and time.

He is not Emeka, but a raw developing Center with outstanding potential. Expectations are getting loftier and loftier, not sure if I've ever seen this board like this.

we shouldn't compare any players like this after three games, especially when hes only played basketball for four years

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

Suffering from memory loss? Or maybe you are better than me at letting this type of process fade into the background.:)

Sadly this is a typical set of events in these forums. And not just on the men's bb forum. Different posters, similar process. There are always a few people who get overly exuberant if a player has a few great games. And there are always a few people who buy into this, and then when there is a period of down play they feel betrayed and take it out on the player.

Your words of wisdom might get one or two people to temper expectations, but get yourself ready if AB has a bad game or two which would be the norm for most players not named Jordan.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
we shouldn't compare any players like this after three games, especially when hes only played basketball for four years
The op has been upset since the time he posted an ESPN insider article in it's full content and Fishy did a fishy on him regarding it. @OklahomaUconn wasn't a fan of Fishy to start with and that set of events made him even angrier which was evident by his reaction to Fishy.

I think he expected posters to rally around his point of view - that content should be free and not for pay. But he never received support. Ever since he's been playing the game of antagonizing Boneyarders. It really is a shame because Oklahoma strikes me as someone who could really contribute to this forum similar to tcf15, caw and aceboon if he would only let go of the set of events I'm alluding to.

It might be a little harder now because he's left enough of a bad taste in peoples minds that some posters would hold it against him even if he changes. But most posters are forgiving and would accept and welcome the change.

Last edited:

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
The op has been upset since the time he posted an ESPN insider article in it's full content and Fishy did a fishy on him regarding it. Oklahoma wasn't a fan of Fishy to start with and that set of events made him even angrier which was evident by his reaction to Fishy.

I think he expected posters to rally around his point of view - that content should be free and not for pay. But he never received support. Ever since he's been playing the game of antagonizing Boneyarders. It really is a shame because Oklahoma strikes me as someone who could really contribute to this forum similar to tcf15, caw and aceboon if he would only let go of the set of events I'm alluding to.

It might be a little harder now because he's left enough of a bad taste in peoples minds that some posters would hold it against him even if he changes. But most posters are forgiving and would accept and welcome the change.
i was gonna say it seems like he purposely criticizes uconn players and comes out defending people who people are called trolls(dd puss thread for example) every post seems negative and critical

ctchamps

Reaction Score
i was gonna say it seems like he purposely criticizes uconn players and comes out defending people who people are called trolls(dd puss thread for example) every post seems negative and critical
He's angry. It's less about attention getting than it's about revenge. So he's presenting situations to exact revenge. And it is working in that he has the effect of getting people annoyed.

People are responding to him believing they can change him. That won't happen. He will be the one deciding if he wants to change or not. Therefore anyone thinking they have the key to changing him are fooling themselves. If he can't change unless he wants to, then people need to do what he won't, and that is understand who he is and change themselves. The most complete change would be for people to not be affected by him and do what he isn't willing to do, just move on without any emotional baggage. That's not easy so an intermediate step would be to ignore him completely or only respond to him when he posts something positive and keep the anger where he can't observe it.

Reaction Score
...or only respond to him when he posts something positive....
Its funny because even when i post positive stuff people either dont respond at all, or they think im being negative. I could post something like "deandre daniels reminds me of josh boone. People will jump down my throat it baffles me really.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Its funny because even when i post positive stuff people either dont respond at all, or they think im being negative. I could post something like "deandre daniels reminds me of josh boone. People will jump down my throat it baffles me really.
If you're not aware of what you are doing to get the type of responses you are getting than that means you are not in sink with how the world perceives you. When people get burned on a stove they avoid it or respond negatively to it even when the stove is off. That's a response to a physical wound. But we also respond that way to ideas and behaviors. Realize that people are oversensitive to things you've posted. So even innocent comments you make will be construed as antagonistic. Instead of ignoring or refuting their responses to you, put yourself in their mindset and try to understand what you did that brought out their response. It's going to take time, but if you have the patience and modify how you say things, most of the folks here will welcome the change.

Personally I'm hoping you understand what I'm writing because I see a hidden gem in what you can bring to this forum. Let go of the anger you have towards things that have been said in the past. It's the anger that has been coming out in a lot of your posts.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I'm new here and still learning. I don't like trolls or people bashing 18-22 year olds who are: 1) Kids and 2) trying their hardest.
On another note,I thought it very interesting to see the comparison between Meka & Brimah. But I am surprised at the leap many make to compare the two. I hope Amida becomes that good. But every sophomore who gets cut from their high school basketball team does turn into Jordan. Conversely, I remember people knocking Taliek Brown for 3.5 years until he led a championship team. Then they all got amnesia about how they tortured the poor kid.
I guess it is all part of the passion we all have as UCONN fans, but a little objectivity is needed. As for me, if I bother you or act like a jerk, let me know. It is great to have an outlet for my obsession with UCONN basketball.

Reaction Score
Brimah's arms are so long that he has trouble pulling in rebounds that get too close to his body. It's an incredible problem, but once he get's a little stronger and anticipates rebounds better, he could have triple double potential down the line.

Reaction Score
I'm new here and still learning. I don't like trolls or people bashing 18-22 year olds who are: 1) Kids and 2) trying their hardest.

Welcome and please keep posting. By the way are you referring to players or posters or both being bashed?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
http://borgesblognhr.blogspot.com/2013/11/is-amida-brimah-next-in-uconns-long.html

More of a Thabeet comparison.

Also this in there:

No official word on letters-of-intent from Daniel Hamilton, Rakim Lubin and Sam Cassell, Jr., though it appears UConn is waiting to receive all three (or two, or however it may work out) before making an announcement.

But we'll reiterate: the Huskies are not worried about Hamilton backing off his commitment, as has been speculated.

Reaction Score

TOTALS:

Seriously, stop

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Oklahoma reminds me a little of Frank Ivy (who I liked quite a bit, even though he wasn't popular with everyone) He's not afraid to play a little bit of devil's advocate and sometimes it rubs some of us the wrong way. That's not entirely bad though, it makes for some good debate fodder and activity on the boards at times.

Reaction Score
He has done well for his first three games. As many have posted, if he builds up his strength he will be a lottery pick in 2-3 years. Aside from his obvious physical talents, his absolute joy to be out there is infectious. Does anyone remember the crowd chanting anyone else's name in their first few games. Amida, Amida, Amida,...

Reaction Score
What are Emeka's game 4 numbers? Only 5 1/2 hours until BU. LETS GO!!!!!

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Welcome and please keep posting. By the way are you referring to players or posters or both being bashed?
I don't like players being bashed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01