Brimah rebounding | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Brimah rebounding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The problem is Mau is right, Amida doesn't have good hands but his rebounding has shown a big improvement. His rebounding would be even better if he could add about 4" of width to his ass. Brimah has strengths and weaknesses like every player.

Imagine that and I've even said he's better? But hey jerry will chase me around until he has a story. D-Head

Reaction Score
This isn't a new development, though I agree that the last few games in particular have been some of the best of Brimah's career in regards to rebounding. Brimah's improvements as a rebounder is a story line that has been buried by the boneyard all season. His TRB% went from 10.2 last season to 12.7 this year, and if you take out the games he played with the bandage on his hand, he might be up near 10 rebounds per 40 minutes.

Reaction Score
This isn't a new development, though I agree that the last few games in particular have been some of the best of Brimah's career in regards to rebounding. Brimah's improvements as a rebounder is a story line that has been buried by the boneyard all season. His TRB% went from 10.2 last season to 12.7 this year, and if you take out the games he played with the bandage on his hand, he might be up near 10 rebounds per 40 minutes.
It's something that a select few pointed out at times during the season. Yet the #eyetest crowd told us we were wrong.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Jerry - you are plain obnoxious at times concerning Mau and other things that you allow to eat at you - but to each their own
I for one do agree that his rebounding has improved but improving from elementary level to high school level doesn't cut it at high D1 level
As Mau said, the kid has his strengths and weaknesses
His strengths - he is a proven shot blocker and can keep the ball in play, he is a fantastic cheerleader for the team and from what I see - a GREAT teammate. He can finish on lobs. He is working on getting more rebounds and has increased but is it enough for a Jr. on a high profile Div 1 team?
His weaknesses - he does not have basketball developed hands and hand/eye reaction. He does not have the footwork yet to become en effective rebounder or to box out for advantage on either the defensive or offensive end. He cannot finish any type of shot with regularity, in fact, the closer to the rim the worse he looks. He cannot catch passes that have any degree of difficulty. As with a strength, one of his weaknesses is finishing some lobs.
This may sound very critical BUT these are basic expectations of a 7 footer playing at a high level
I am by no means an AB hater, within interacting with my group of UConn friends I end up defending him because I fully understand the kid is a project - pure and simple.
He hasn't played basketball as long as many, in fact, most current HS Juniors have more playing experience than AB
Remember - he was hurt for a while and it cost him a full summer of development - that cost dearly
He isn't Diamond Stone, that's for sure
With AB and Phil, UConn has a good defensive 5 but lacks any offensive threat from that 5 position.
AB is fun, AB is a great guy. I would love to see him blossom overnight into a complete center but I really don't think UConn has the coaching to create it that way - I was hoping Freeman might be the one but it hasn't been apparent.
I know I will take crap for what I have said but so be it

Eskapeesto

The specter of ExtraPesto is haunting the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Seem like pretty well prepared, high bball-IQ guys. We're completely and utterly DOOOOOMED.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Seem like pretty well prepared, high bball-IQ guys. We're completely and utterly DOOOOOMED.

Lets pump the brakes a little on the IQ, last guy said Prince Ibeh is one of the best shot blockers in the country...

Reaction Score
Jerry - you are plain obnoxious at times concerning Mau and other things that you allow to eat at you - but to each their own
I for one do agree that his rebounding has improved but improving from elementary level to high school level doesn't cut it at high D1 level
As Mau said, the kid has his strengths and weaknesses
His strengths - he is a proven shot blocker and can keep the ball in play, he is a fantastic cheerleader for the team and from what I see - a GREAT teammate. He can finish on lobs. He is working on getting more rebounds and has increased but is it enough for a Jr. on a high profile Div 1 team?
His weaknesses - he does not have basketball developed hands and hand/eye reaction. He does not have the footwork yet to become en effective rebounder or to box out for advantage on either the defensive or offensive end. He cannot finish any type of shot with regularity, in fact, the closer to the rim the worse he looks. He cannot catch passes that have any degree of difficulty. As with a strength, one of his weaknesses is finishing some lobs.
This may sound very critical BUT these are basic expectations of a 7 footer playing at a high level
I am by no means an AB hater, within interacting with my group of UConn friends I end up defending him because I fully understand the kid is a project - pure and simple.
He hasn't played basketball as long as many, in fact, most current HS Juniors have more playing experience than AB
Remember - he was hurt for a while and it cost him a full summer of development - that cost dearly
He isn't Diamond Stone, that's for sure
With AB and Phil, UConn has a good defensive 5 but lacks any offensive threat from that 5 position.
AB is fun, AB is a great guy. I would love to see him blossom overnight into a complete center but I really don't think UConn has the coaching to create it that way - I was hoping Freeman might be the one but it hasn't been apparent.
I know I will take crap for what I have said but so be it

Well stated gtcam. The funny thing is while watching the last few games with friends I have noticed myself saying "look at the box out by brimah" a lot more and giving him his kudos, he's better and it is becoming noticeable, at finding his man. And 7 rebounds? Sure that's a good game unless you saw what he can do and should do more often like the SMU game. But you hit the nail on the head, his hands are never in position to catch, he's fighting the physical battle where he can't get tot he spot and when he is there he loses it too often to be "great". He will remain an enigma next year too, but he's ours and any improvement will be excellent. He still makes a difference blocking shots - I will say this and it won't go well (imagine that?) he could have blocked 5 more if he had a better understanding of when to leave space for the driver and when the offensive guy off the ball is going to shoot it in the lane - couple right in front of him. But hey, he's as good as we have and with Phil's ability the other night to hold the post down as he does, they are a nice combo for us. Any points are a bonus.

Reaction Score
Anybody else notice that Brimah has learned how to box out and rebound? 4 offensive rebounds today is no joke especially for him. Since the start of the aac tournament this is by far the best rebounding I've seen out of him in his career.
The fan in me appreciates the progress he has made, but the coach in me is still annoyed at the lack of consistent attention to detail on boxing out on our team as well as most teams across the country. Seconds before "the shot" by Adams to keep us alive, the other team nailed a "killer" 3 that was only possible due to the offensive rebound when Brimah ball-watched instead of boxing out. Brimah has made steady progress and I recognize his value-it just drives me insane that 90% of players don't box out-something that requires zero skill-just attention to detail and some toughness!

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
Way too much estrogen here on game day. Brimah has slightly improved but he is what he is. We still won a championship with his help and will win another.

Rock chalk f@@@ the Jayhawk!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3