Brimah 4th foul | The Boneyard

Brimah 4th foul

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Did it happen?
dude, this game tops the duke game as the worst officiating game i've seen... yeah the turnovers and lack of energy on defense didnt help, but the phantom calls that smu(t) got and the ridiculous non calls against boat and hamilton was ridiculous. I wish ollie took a chair and went bananas on the scorers table because that's what i wanted to do

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Had to be ten terrible calls in this game. And ten terrible no calls.

Reaction Score
UConnSwag11 said:
dude, this game tops the duke game as the worst officiating game i've seen... yeah the turnovers and lack of energy on defense didnt help, but the phantom calls that smu(t) got and the ridiculous non calls against boat and hamilton was ridiculous. I wish ollie took a chair and went bananas on the scorers table because that's what i wanted to do

The refs completely altered this game. Say what you want about our D at times but the one-sided officiating was blatantly obvious and huge factor in this game.

Reaction Score
The problem is this:

Was it a foul - no.
Was it a stupid play on Brimah's part - yes.

What he did was set an awkward screen out in the lane facing in an odd direction while not being set. That's what the ref saw. Was there enough contact to warrant the foul call? No.

But this is the point - Brimah was stupid to even do what he did. By setting an awkward screen while moving, he gave the Ref an excuse to expect a foul. The ref saw the poor screen, expected contact, and blew the whistle.

The problem here is Brimah. The ref wasn't out to get him, he just either anticipated the foul (improperly), or he didn't have a good angle and saw a moving screen and assumed that there was contact.

Brimah is awesome and I love that he's a Husky, but he's still, really, a year away from getting the 2 dumb fouls a game out of his system.

This is an example of a Caesar's Wife phenomenon. Brimah simply must get better at not looking awkward at times, because it gives the appearance of fouling.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
The problem is this:

Was it a foul - no.

What he did was set an awkward screen out in the lane facing in an odd direction while not being set. That's what the ref saw. Was there enough contact to warrant the foul call? No.

But this is the point - Brimah was stupid to even do what he did. By setting an awkward screen while moving, he gave the Ref an excuse to expect a foul. The ref saw the poor screen, expected contact, and blew the whistle.

The problem here is Brimah. The ref wasn't out to get him, he just either anticipated the foul (improperly), or he didn't have a good angle and saw a moving screen and assumed that there was contact.

Brimah is awesome and I love that he's a Husky, but he's still, really, a year away from getting the 2 dumb fouls a game out of his system.

This is an example of a Caesar's Wife phenomenon. Brimah simply must get better at not looking awkward at times, because it gives the appearance of fouling.

Yeah and the call where the ball clearly went out of bounds off SMU and Brown changed the call , or the call when Omar got globbered in a half court set and no whistle, and the walking calls all night on UConn on non obvious walks. These refs came into this game looking to blow whistles one way.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
The problem is this:

Was it a foul - no.

Yeah and the call where the ball clearly went out of bounds off SMU and Brown changed the call , or the call when Omar got globbered in a half court set and no whistle, and the walking calls all night on UConn on non obvious walks. These refs came into this game looking to blow whistles one way.

Reaction Score
pnow15 said:

Your response was much more clear the second time. Thank you.

Reaction Score
The problem was the other 3 fouls. Amida is a great helper on D. One on one he can be good but this is where he picks up a lot of silly fouls. We can only go 6 deep, it may make sense to play a bit more zone to protect him. I know KO does not prefer zone, but he does occasionally show it. I'd like him to use it more especially when boat sits.

Reaction Score
You knew it was going to be bad when they called offensive foul for Samuel dribbling across the top of the key and a guy jammed him off the ball. You knew then it was going to be a weird night, even though UConn was ahead at the time.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23, ‘24
Reaction Score
I think the worst part about last night was when we were up 10-3 and Ollie subbed in Nolan for Brimah when he only had 1 foul. And then didn't put him back in until the end of the half. Am I remembering this correctly? I thought it was a terrible move by Ollie and let SMU get to the rim with ease all half.

Reaction Score
I think the worst part about last night was when we were up 10-3 and Ollie subbed in Nolan for Brimah when he only had 1 foul. And then didn't put him back in until the end of the half. Am I remembering this correctly? I thought it was a terrible move by Ollie and let SMU get to the rim with ease all half.
Yeah, but in retrospect, Brimah only managed to stay on the court for 20 minutes total, so you've gotta figure if he left him in at 10-3 he picks up #2 within 5 minutes.

Reaction Score
I can't believe you can base the outcome in a foul, bad call or not. The bottom line is the front court (4-5) flat out blows, puts undue stress on other players.

I'm so sick of watching Brimah and Facey, it's embarrassing we win a NC and that is our starting FC. Brimah has some potential, no idea on Facey to be honest.

The refs completely altered this game. Say what you want about our D at times but the one-sided officiating was blatantly obvious and huge factor in this game.

Reaction Score
You are absolutely correct but he did pick up a foul later. As they were putting 20 points on us I was thinking what's the difference if he picks up the 3rd if the game is out of reach? This was Jim Calhoun's mantra which worked with the kind of team Emeka was on but not with us as thin as we are. This goes on KO and the coaching staff and was a major mistake. Nolan and Facey out there together were gasoline on a fire. DHam pulled for large stretches doesn't sit with me either, he's a young stud who needs seasoning and minutes, he's not getting tired.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I can't believe you can base the outcome in a foul, bad call or not. The bottom line is the front court (4-5) flat out blows, puts undue stress on other players.

I'm so sick of watching Brimah and Facey, it's embarrassing we win a NC and that is our starting FC. Brimah has some potential, no idea on Facey to be honest.

So stop watching and do us all a favor.

Reaction Score
Yeah, but in retrospect, Brimah only managed to stay on the court for 20 minutes total, so you've gotta figure if he left him in at 10-3 he picks up #2 within 5 minutes.
This.

Brimah still has no idea how to defend against quality frontcourts without fouling, and unfortunately, this team simply has no chance against quality opponents when he's unable to stay on the court. He's yet to figure out that - when he's playing with one or two PFs - giving up an easy two points is preferable to him picking up another foul.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Can think of 4 simply atrocious calls off the top of my head, 3 of which the commentators agreed were BAD calls:

1) Right in the beginning of the game, SMU big man received the ball and crossed half-court, traveled, then bobbled the ball as Hamilton reached for it... Foul called on Hamilton.

2) Samuel drives at an angle around his man, they fall, clear blocking foul. Yet Samuel gets called for a charge when the guy was NOT SET in front of him and Samuel did not push off or extend.

3) Terrible out of bounds call where the officials actually had the call correct, but Brown basically changed the official's mind.

4) Brimah's 4th foul. He was clearly set on the screen, did not lean into the man at all. Even if you want to lie and say he did lean into him, he made minimal contact, away from the ball. Officials WANTED to call that.

I stopped watching once the lead hit 20 so I'm sure there were more calls I missed. The sad thing is that Doris Burke and the other commentator also made comments about the terrible calls above. And yet I can't seem to remember a blatant bad call on SMU that went UConn's way where the commentators said anything.

Fact is, we've been getting the short end of the stick from the officials for a majority of the games this year. Brimah especially. Why? I don't know. But it's infuriating.

Reaction Score
Did the officiating suck? Yes! Is this why we lost? No! This team is flawed, we are reduced to playing a four guard offense. Four guards and an inexperienced, skinny center that can't move anybody. Ollie needs to reload, we are in desperate need of some post players. Currently, we have NOBODY with post skills to help us offensively.

Reaction Score

I guess I'm now wondering why you do watch? I mean win or lose you're a broken record!

Reaction Score
The officiating was horrible and impacted the game, but not sure if outcome would have been different. Though would have liked to see how it played out. There were a number of times the announcers said they didn't see a foul, and it was always a call against us.

Reaction Score
I pose the question again. Does Brimah get pulled with 1 foul in the first half? Does he get pulled with 2? I say if he's taken out and we start to get scorched ( as we did)
put him back to try to right the ship until the 3rd. Why allow the game to get totally out of hand? One of the keys was him being on the floor as it always is.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Did the officiating suck? Yes! Is this why we lost? No! This team is flawed, we are reduced to playing a four guard offense. Four guards and an inexperienced, skinny center that can't move anybody. Ollie needs to reload, we are in desperate need of some post players. Currently, we have NOBODY with post skills to help us offensively.

Didn't Nova go to Final Four with four guard offense?

Reaction Score
Didn't Nova go to Final Four with four guard offense?

This team is not making the tournament nevermind the final four. This season is over and many of us here refuse to accept it. We fooled our selves before the season thinking Brimah would be better than he has been and we seriously fooled ourselves in thinking Purv was going to be a star. Its easier to fool someone than it is to convince them that theyve been fooled and thats whats happening now. This team isnt good and isnt going to be good and we`ll be lucky if we make the NIT and ive accepted it. Ive also accepted that being in this conference blows,its affecting recruiting and we need to get into a p5 asap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom