Brief thoughts on STJ game | The Boneyard

Brief thoughts on STJ game

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Just watched the replay and clearly we didnt look a UConn team. A couple of things. We depended to much on our Big 3 . Everybody else seemed to be standing around to much and not involved in scoring. The game reminded me of the Miss St game which we lost at the buzzer. SLow the game down, take time off the clock. STJ took time off the clock and didnt rush. Offensive rebounding did not exist at times. We need ONO to be ready ASAP. We need a big in the middle for scoring shot blocking rebounding and just her presence will keep the penetration down. The team needs work . We didnt play great and we found a way to win. We didnt panic we kept our poise. The game changed in the 4th qtr when MW and CW shot the ball and were more involved in the offense. They were pretty wide open at crunch time and imo the reason for that is because the defense was focused on Phessa KLS and CD. We need Walker and Willams involved in the offense from the beginning of the game so defenses dont sluff off them. They need to be a threat and we need opposing defenses to guard them. Give credit to STJ they kept their poise and played their game, stuck to their game plan and were in the game til the end. They didnt give in even when they were down. I thought they did a great job.

Purdue tonite will be interesting. Lets see how UConn comes out. Games like yesterday are scary but better to win a game like yesterday and improve on it then end up in a game against another team and loose.

Reaction Score
Just watched the replay and clearly we didnt look a UConn team. A couple of things. We depended to much on our Big 3 . Everybody else seemed to be standing around to much and not involved in scoring. The game reminded me of the Miss St game which we lost at the buzzer. SLow the game down, take time off the clock. STJ took time off the clock and didnt rush. Offensive rebounding did not exist at times. We need ONO to be ready ASAP. We need a big in the middle for scoring shot blocking rebounding and just her presence will keep the penetration down. The team needs work . We didnt play great and we found a way to win. We didnt panic we kept our poise. The game changed in the 4th qtr when MW and CW shot the ball and were more involved in the offense. They were pretty wide open at crunch time and imo the reason for that is because the defense was focused on Phessa KLS and CD. We need Walker and Willams involved in the offense from the beginning of the game so defenses dont sluff off them. They need to be a threat and we need opposing defenses to guard them. Give credit to STJ they kept their poise and played their game, stuck to their game plan and were in the game til the end. They didnt give in even when they were down. I thought they did a great job.

Purdue tonite will be interesting. Lets see how UConn comes out. Games like yesterday are scary but better to win a game like yesterday and improve on it then end up in a game against another team and loose.

Tony C. SJ at times to a second or 3 off the clock but they attacked. I finished watching the replay 2 minutes ago. Uconn allowed too much driving and dishing for easy SJU baskets. The Zone Uconn played had HOLES that were accessed and used by SJU.
I don't know the numbers but it appeared SJU handled the boards better than UC.

It wasn't all bad. I thought both CW and MW played a good game. Katie Lou tried to put the team on her back and did in the 3rd and 4th. SJU early on shot quickly and accurately 'some S-H-I-? shots will go many won't SJU obviously had god on their side.

SJU played hard and physical. Coombs threw a bad pass into a defender and was immediately yanked. Danger did the same thing. Batouly Camara again gave Geno good minutes and was needed. Her presence in the back center worked better for Geno.

AS I watched the zone it appeared to be many man to man aspects which pulled players out of position. I came away from the game thinking: Uconn didnt play as bad as I thought from the Chat. Uconn in past years had trouble with driving teams and SJU was a 3 ball driving dishing team. Geno gets burned with some teams but he usually finds a means to correct or HIDE those weaknesses. Great warm up game and for the most part fun to watch.

Reaction Score
I agree that we will need ONO. I just don't think come tournament time we can win with out her playing meaningful minutes. I guess time will tell.
Uconn needs a strong tough center. ONO is finesse. She needs muscle/weight will that happen before March? She can shoot, is an offensie threat. We need a post that can defend AND shoot. Batouly was a better post in her limited PT. Albeit, Touly has much much more experience AND weight.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Uconn needs a strong tough center. ONO is finesse. She needs muscle/weight will that happen before March? She can shoot, is an offensie threat. We need a post that can defend AND shoot. Batouly was a better post in her limited PT. Albeit, Touly has much much more experience AND weight.
I agree, so far ONO is reminding me of last year's Z, doesn't really want to bang bodies down low, especially on offense. Not sure how Geno is going to handle this, if my observation is correct, but I am guessing/hoping that it will be handled soon.

Reaction Score

Tony C---There were times when 3 players were on either KLS or Napheesa and I wondered with three on those why didn't the open guys get easy shots? Danger, C.Williams or Megan Walker seemed to be open when KLS was trippled. Seems like a great time for a time out and shake some heads. This game gave Geno a lot of lessons to teach before Depaul or ND.

Reaction Score
Regarding ONO, it would be hard to be ready if you only play 3 min. The coach needs to have some more faith in his players to work through in-game issues.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Regarding ONO, it would be hard to be ready if you only play 3 min. The coach needs to have some more faith in his players to work through in-game issues.

I think players get game ready in practice. Obviously, if Auriemma felt she was ready for more minutes she would get them. I watched her in the Vandy game and I thought it was obvious why her minutes are limited.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I think players get game ready in practice. Obviously, if Auriemma felt she was ready for more minutes she would get them. I watched her in the Vandy game and I thought it was obvious why her minutes are limited.
You are correct and has been posted in a gazillion threads.

Reaction Score
Did you watch yesterday's game? If not, please do. The short time Liv was in, she made a difference - especially on defense. They went from being behind to getting the lead. One bad turn around shot in the lane, and she was yanked! We'll see if at year's end, that approach will have borne fruit.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
You bring up a valid point, it’s just that Geno will not change his view unless players get into foul trouble and even then, he may choose to use someone else to make the point (not the greatest use of coaching but it has worked for him in the past, so I don’t see him ever changing).
The team struggled shooting 43% for the game and while the free throws were ok @72% Pheesa at 5-10 is not good. The 3 point shots at 41% is ok as well but again KLS was only 2-8 which need some to improve immediately. As TonyC related, the team still found a way to win over a good SJU team (they beat Purdue on Thursday BTW).
From my perspective, many teams can struggle early on, look at Louisville vs. ASU or Texas vs. Quinnipiac, Baylor has had a few close games so maybe we should all just stop comparing this team to the Stewie/Tuck/MoJeff teams of yesteryear (with their unbelievable dominance) and enjoy the journey as they develop.
I worry we here on the BY are turning into the VolNation crew with all the negativity directed at the team, coaches and recruiting. Each year is its own process that we need to embrace. Smile and enjoy it while we can.
Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
You are correct and has been posted in a gazillion threads.

So why put them in there for 3 min, why not 0 min if you clearly don't trust your player to work through some mistakes. Despite what Geno says that it would be good for the team to lose a few games, when the game is tight, you pretty much never see the bench.

Reaction Score
Purdue tonite will be interesting. Lets see how UConn comes out.

Purdue shouldn’t be a problem. Just be happy UConn isn’t playing Northwestern, who I thought would be bad this year but they are bumping off every team they play (Green Bay, Duke, Florida).

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
So UConn needs a center, or two.
I watched Baylor with 2 giant centers in Brown and Cox, barely get by South Dakota State. Baylor needs guards.
So which team has everything, and plays well?

Reaction Score
Purdue shouldn’t be a problem. Just be happy UConn isn’t playing Northwestern, who I thought would be bad this year but they are bumping off every team they play (Green Bay, Duke, Florida).

Don't take Purdue lightly............yes UConn should win it but this year's UConn team isn't dominant enough to ever take an opponent for granted

Reaction Score
My take away was put Camara into games like that and say use your body to set screens, rebound, and clog the lane while the other 4 do the scoring. Then say to ONO, thats what big girl basketball id about. For all this board complains about Camara, she qas quite handy in that game.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
The only game I have attended this year was Vandy. At a live game you have the opportunity to watch players off the ball. One of the things that I came away with is that the UConn bench (Ono in particular) doesn't know how to set a screen.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
If Coombs was yanked because of one bad pass and Ono because of one bad shot, how can players play freely under those conditions? The upper class players make the same mistakes and stay in the game. High school recruits see that just as we do.

Reaction Score
If Coombs was yanked because of one bad pass and Ono because of one bad shot, how can players play freely under those conditions? The upper class players make the same mistakes and stay in the game. High school recruits see that just as we do.
Failure will not be tolerated.
1543093729481.png

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score

Yup. That's why UConn has never been able to recruit top high school players. :rolleyes:

I saw Auriemma yank Ono immediately after she fouled a Vandy player. Auriemma spent a minute with her on the sidelines showing her how to get position and how to hold her hands so as not to draw that sort of foul. In that case at least it was a teaching moment.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
We depended to much on our Big 3 . Everybody else seemed to be standing around to much and not involved in scoring. Reminds me of Maya Moore's senior season,2010–2011, when everyone on that team did the same thing … waiting for Maya to do something.

We need ONO to be ready ASAP. Amen, amen, AMEN!!! This was clear as soon as she signed on the dotted line.

The team needs work . In spades!

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Coombs threw the ball away, and she flubbed an easy shot, and generally was out of control. I like her. I want her to succeed. Ono is lost as often as she is awake. They are not ready to play in very tight games. the upperclassmen went through the process and showed their readiness. I wish it were not so, but it is. Put them in, see how they do, and if they are skittish take them out and talk to them. Geno really does know a bit about coaching. Let's let him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom