Brianna Banks | The Boneyard

Brianna Banks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Geno's toughest job this year may be figuring out how to distribute the minutes on the floor, especially given the prodigious talents of the three Freshmen. But one contributor who's going to be hard to keep on the bench for too long is BB. We always knew about her natural athleticism, but her attitude and her confidence seem to have jumped to previously unforseen levels. Her relentless drives to the hoop create havoc for any defense, and this will only grow if Geno doesn't keep her on too short a leash. Yes, she'll come off the bench, but the more confident she becomes, the more opponents will learn to dread that contingency!!

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
She seems a natural wing to me, rather than a point or shooting guard. I liked it yesterday when she followed her turnover by
blocking a shot at the other end.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
As one who last season didn't get it, couldn't even grasp the potential, negative from the get-go
(and called on it regularly by Doggie and others):

I am absolutely delighted to have been totally, completely, utterly, wrong about this young woman.
Godspeed, Bri. Knock 'em dead!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
This is the Banks we heard about but seldom saw in games last year - what a revelation! I am still a little concerned about her defensive stance - she always wants to overplay a player to one side - against C of C guards it worked fine but against better players it could turn into a bit of an 'Ole' situation!

Reaction Score
This is the Banks we heard about but seldom saw in games last year - what a revelation! I am still a little concerned about her defensive stance - she always wants to overplay a player to one side - against C of C guards it worked fine but against better players it could turn into a bit of an 'Ole' situation!

Let's hope she was reacting to the scouting report...

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Brianna is one of those kids who is so naturally gifted that she never really had to focus on "doing it the right way" until the collegiate level. I posted this on the old board, but I have a friend down in Georgia who is a huge basketball fan (has a son in the boys' AAU organization down there, played college ball himself, follows the sport religiously) who saw her as a senior and said she was the best girls' HSBB player he'd ever seen...and he'd seen Maya play (although he acknowledged that Maya was a junior when he saw her).

She took her lumps last year, and the offseason gave her an opportunity to look in the mirror and take responsibility for her success as a college player. She has an opportunity many girls BB players dream of, to play at UConn for Geno Auriemma, and she seems determined to make the most of it.

If she can play at a consistently high level against quality teams, she's a piece that could just push UConn over the threshold needed to beat Baylor this season. There becomes a point where there are just too many weapons, and a critical mass of our kids are going to be on any given night.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
There will still be some matador defense from Banks this year - nobody makes a complete transformation in one off-season. However, she is much improved in that respect. Her strengths on the defensive end are really in trapping situations and in the extended defenses or presses. She is going to give even good teams fits in that respect. Maybe not in the 1st half but by the 2nd half most of them will start to wear down under the pressure.

And I love how much her recognition has improved on offense! She is picking her spots well re: going to the rim. Love it ....:cool:

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
She does overplay but it is a gamble I think Geno is OK with her taking. She is so quick that she can recover if she needs to, and our help side defense is ridiculously good. Especially this early in the season. With Breanna Stewart and Stef and Kiah behind you to block shots (and Kelly) it's ok to take chances up there, IMO.

Reaction Score
As far as her defense is concerned, I know what you're talking about but Geno didn't seem particularly concerned I suspect that her natural tendency to overplay in the halfcourt is something he's fine with this year with the sudden increase in quality post depth. Having a real second wall behind her gives the freedom to create more havoc on the perimeter.

Reaction Score
She does overplay but it is a gamble I think Geno is OK with her taking. She is so quick that she can recover if she needs to, and our help side defense is ridiculously good. Especially this early in the season. With Breanna Stewart and Stef and Kiah behind you to block shots (and Kelly) it's ok to take chances up there, IMO.
Ha! You posted while I was writing!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Overplaying is sometimes the correct play so long as you do it to the correct side.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
Geno's toughest job this year may be figuring out how to distribute the minutes on the floor, especially given the prodigious talents of the three Freshmen. But one contributor who's going to be hard to keep on the bench for too long is BB. We always knew about her natural athleticism, but her attitude and her confidence seem to have jumped to previously unforseen levels. Her relentless drives to the hoop create havoc for any defense, and this will only grow if Geno doesn't keep her on too short a leash. Yes, she'll come off the bench, but the more confident she becomes, the more opponents will learn to dread that contingency!!

It was a joy last night just to watch Banks move around the court. She was SO SMOOTH in all of her motion, both with the ball and off-ball. She is an astounding athlete -- combining grace with power in ways that no other current college basketball player I have seen can match.

Equally impressive was Brianna's efficiency of movement -- not physical, but mental -- throughout the game. She seemed always comfortable with where she was going and why. This is a huge change from a year ago when she always seemed more lost than purposeful.

I expect UConn fans are going to have a whole lot of smiles watching BB's play throughout this season (and two more to follow).

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
OC, I completely agree. It is nice to see her finding herself on the court. Defensively she is cat-like! And, how many times have we seen her jump up quicker and higher than the offensive player to block a shot? If she continues this trajectory....outstanding.

Reaction Score
She is a different player. So smooth now. After last season I was worried she was going to be a candidate to transfer out. She took the challenge. This team is going to be so good.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
OC, I completely agree. It is nice to see her finding herself on the court. Defensively she is cat-like! And, how many times have we seen her jump up quicker and higher than the offensive player to block a shot? If she continues this trajectory....outstanding.
She is reminding me more and more of Kalana Greene.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
That would be an awesome addition, if she were as good as Kalana! I hope Bria gets back quickly, though. Imagine running into Bria and Kelly, then Moriah and Brianna, the Stewart and Tuck...good lord. This season is going to be amazing.

Reaction Score
She is reminding me more and more of Kalana Greene.
Baseline play, anyone?

The wonderful thing about the whole situation is that none of the soothsayers mentioned Banks while projecting UConn as #2 preseason.

LOL!!

Reaction Score
Banks has improved a lot since last season. However, I struggle seeing her have a huge role. Until she proves herself against tough competition, I can't say I see her being one of the first options from the bench. Right now she is easily #9 on the roster behind (KML, Hartley, Dolson, Stewart, Jefferson, Tuck, Faris, Doty). Banks literally never performed against competition last season. TAMU should be a good game to judge her abilities. I think she is being forced to play out of position and isn't comfortable naturally at the PG/SG. I think next year she will be more of a use off the bench, probably #7 on the roster. Right now she still reminds me of a Lorin Dixon type player with a better shot. She is trusted by Geno but not overly effective against good competition and will never be a go to player or a 30 plus minute player. If she continues to improve, next season will be likely her most productive season with a shorter bench and team.

Reaction Score
I don't know how you can possibly say that Geno trusts her. In my opinion and as I've posted before, I think the leash was way too tight on this immensely talented kid last year.

Reaction Score
The WNBA has several UConn grads who never attained the status of "go to", Kalena Greene being one. Lots of people said she would never make it as a pro due to various reasons. If Stokes and Banks aspire to a pro career they have a better chance developing at a school that sends players to the pros rather than at a school that isn't considered a pipeline to the WNBA or the Olympic team. And to them, success at the collegiate level could mean a NC rather than putting up better numbers on a less talented team.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The difference in Banks and Stokes is seen in the way theyre playing this season. They might not be at this level if they were someplace else. They will play minutes on this team and will get better and will win at least 1 NC.

Reaction Score
Could not agree more. This was like getting another brand new player that we had not counted on. I don't know about the rest of you, but has anyone else seen as dramatic a makeover in one summer? I know Stef has made changes, but the potential was there and obvious even to the ignorant ones like me. Banks is a completely different thing. I'm really impressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom