Brenda's Pre-Game Pep Talk | The Boneyard

Brenda's Pre-Game Pep Talk

Reaction Score
For some reason broadcasters love to cover Brenda's pre game locker room pep talks..........I personally don't find her to be a particularly scintillating speaker and her constant talk about breaking the will of the other team is rather tacky........she just said it took 12 minutes to "break" Bucknell's will..........what kind of talk is that?

Can't imagine Geno, MM or Tara V talking to their teams in those terms...............I have to admit, nothing would make me happier then to have West Virginia take Maryland out today........

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think that's one big difference between Geno and a lot of other coaches. He does not go into every game telling his kids that the other team is the "enemy" and that we have to destroy them, break their will, or beat them into submission. He tells his team to go out and play hard and have fun. During the course of the season, he's pointed out all the flaws and helped them improve as much as they are humanly capable of. Now at tourney time, it's about going out and doing what you have done so well (or learned so well) all year long.

I like Geno's approach better...

Reaction Score
That is Brenda being Brenda. She has been that way since she was here in Minnesota...all of one season. Some coaches will use a military reference to motivate their team. Some coaches will use swear words to motivate their teams or throw stuff. Brenda has her style. Coach has his style. U just have to coach to your personality.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Everybody needs a dream and Brenda has MD beating UConn in CT. Not happenin............. and UConn chances are 49% now that Baylor beat who??????? Another dreamer. UConn is a well oiled machine and some fans just dont see it. There are alot of "IFs" that have to happen to beat UConn and UConn is to disciplined to let it happen...with that said after watching the Miami game well there is a very small chance it could happen. MD does not play defense and doesnt play consistent for 40 minutes. UConn does. In the end UConn by double digets and if UConn gets it going they will get MD going.....Going back to MD.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I think that's one big difference between Geno and a lot of other coaches. He does not go into every game telling his kids that the other team is the "enemy" and that we have to destroy them, break their will, or beat them into submission. He tells his team to go out and play hard and have fun. During the course of the season, he's pointed out all the flaws and helped them improve as much as they are humanly capable of. Now at tourney time, it's about going out and doing what you have done so well (or learned so well) all year long.

I like Geno's approach better...
Geno's approach is certainly less sociopathic.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I missed it, and I'm not a big Brenda fan, but she's hardly the first coach to talk about breaking the opposing team's will, or imposing your will on them. You say what your team needs to hear, or at least that is what you try to do.

Reaction Score
Was UWVa that tough??
I had hoped so, but they did not play well at all. I was afraid they would not be able to sustain the run they had in the Big 112 Tournament and unfortunately, I was right.

Reaction Score
MD does not play defense and doesnt play consistent for 40 minutes. UConn does. In the end UConn by double digets and if UConn gets it going they will get MD going.....Going back to MD.
Maryland played very well on the defensive side of the ball in the sub-regionals. WVA had very little room to operate all game and never got it going on offense. Besides, when you average 93 points per game in the sub-regional and 90 points for the year, do you really need to play a whole lot of defense?

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Maryland played very well on the defensive side of the ball in the sub-regionals. WVA had very little room to operate all game and never got it going on offense. Besides, when you average 93 points per game in the sub-regional and 90 points for the year, do you really need to play a whole lot of defense?
Most games you play start with defense. I dont see MD scoring alot of points against UConns defense unless UConn is in deep foul trouble like UConn was at MD. This game is not at MD its in CT. I like UConn barring injuries and foul trouble by 15+ against MD or Duke.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I missed it, and I'm not a big Brenda fan, but she's hardly the first coach to talk about breaking the opposing team's will, or imposing your will on them. You say what your team needs to hear, or at least that is what you try to do.
Unfortunately that is the tone, tenor and content of every one of her speeches. Break their will and crush their spirit. She always ends with "And run them out the gym". Every time. She isn't the first but if her repetitive/compulsive behavior is not masking as a psychosis but is really an art, then Frese is the Monet of college BB coaches.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Most games you play start with defense. I dont see MD scoring alot of points against UConns defense unless UConn is in deep foul trouble like UConn was at MD. This game is not at MD its in CT. I like UConn barring injuries and foul trouble by 15+ against MD or Duke.
Yep. I got a healthy UConn by 20 against Frese and 25 to 30 against a not healthy Duke. A very sad Frese getting run out of the gym.

Reaction Score
It is cute when that little vein near her temple starts throbbing and she starts foaming at the mouth.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Actually, I think the 75 foot 2 hander from Destiny is going to loosen up the paint. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Reaction Score
For some reason broadcasters love to cover Brenda's pre game locker room pep talks.....I personally don't find her to be a particularly scintillating speaker and her constant talk about breaking the will of the other team is rather tacky...she just said it took 12 minutes to "break" Bucknell's will.....what kind of talk is that?

Can't imagine Geno, MM or Tara V talking to their teams in those terms.....I have to admit, nothing would make me happier then to have West Virginia take Maryland out today...
I think they are actually laughing at her.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom