Breanna Stewart | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Breanna Stewart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
For a true comparison the level of competition would need to be analyzed. Also, how many shots were taken and what is the comparison in shooting percentages?
Moore's freshman year UConn team played one ranked team in their first 10 games, #4 Oklahoma, who UConn beat by 28.

Stewart has played against 4 ranked teams, 9,10,14 and 16.

Moore took 138 shots and made 77 for 55.8%. 15-43 on 3's for 34.9%. 19-27 on FT's for 70.3%.

Stewart has taken 107 shots and made 64 for 59.8%. 10-26 on 3's for 38.4%. 31-37 on FT's for 83.8%.

Does that help?

Actually, it may help someone, but the real bottom line here is that the stat in question is not a stat that someone is trying to use to directly compare players. The simple fact is that Breanna has scored more points in her first 10 games than anyone else in UConn history. Anyone. That's just a fact. Trying to draw more from it that that doesn't help me nor reduce my awe of that fact.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
I was annoyed - actually, nearly upset - by SNY's prattaling about this during the second half. Who gives a rat's ass about who the "leading freshman scorer after a 10 game career" is?
That is not what UConn Women's basketball is all about, particularly for a freshman. It's about learning, doing things right, and winning. SNY is not doing the program any favors by emphasizing such inane, unimportant trivia during their broadcasts.
Then, to learn that SNY did a poor job of researching it..OY! I was wondering where KML was...
I know they want to build interest, but, they're not doing it right for the program nor Breanna if this is going to be their approach. When they interviewed Stewie after the game, they brought this up: I wish she was confident enough (unrealistic for a freshman in December) to say "I did not know, and I do not care. I'm here to learn, and win, and there's been plenty of both so far".
On the other hand, how impressive an interview has Kelly Faris become? Looks you right in the eye, shoots straight, and doesn't blink, no matter what the question. She's a model interview.

JS

Reaction Score
I was annoyed - actually, nearly upset - by SNY's prattaling about this during the second half. Who gives a rat's ass about who the "leading freshman scorer after a 10 game career" is?
Same here. What's magic about the "record" for the first 10 games? How about the first 15? The first 20?

Arbitrary time frame, tons of variables, and only one category of performance.

Mildly interesting to compare "fast starts" by freshmen, and the graphic is certainly a who's who of UConn scorers. It's just that the emphasis and continual references to it were a bit much.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Same here. What's magic about the "record" for the first 10 games? How about the first 15? The first 20?

Arbitrary time frame, tons of variables, one category of performance only.

Mildly interesting to compare "fast starts" by freshmen, and the graphic is certainly a who's who of UConn scorers. It's just that the emphasis and continual references to it were a bit much.

This was their first obvious foray into that world of scripting a game story and following the script no matter what. I'm not going to over-read it yet but anything that makes them more like ESPN is not a good sign to me.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Actually, it may help someone, but the real bottom line here is that the stat in question is not a stat that someone is trying to use to directly compare the numbers players. The simple fact is that Breanna has scored more points in her first 10 games than anyone else in UConn history. Anyone. That's just a fact. Trying to draw more from it that that doesn't help me nor reduce my awe of that fact.

Well, it wasn't for you...lol. As I know you knew. But ETT likes to analyze things and I was curious about the numbers myself.

My conclusion? Moore was great her first 10 games. Stewart has been great her first 10 games.

Reaction Score
I thought it was interesting that the graphic of players from the first 10 games scoring excluded KML. The lowest point total on the graphic was Tiff Hayes with 73 points through 10 games. KML had 158, which is now 3rd on the list behind Breanna and Maya. Were those just random names placed on the list or the highest outputs in order and SNY didn't do good research.

Based on some quick math (with information from the 2011-2012 media guide) they also left off:

Caroline Doty with 95 points in her first 10 games.

Stefanie Dolson with 78 in her first 10.

And Bria had 137, so very poor research by SNY.

Reaction Score
While several have contributed excellent points, the fact remains that Sarals original post on this thread remains pertinent. Yes, Breanna has broken Maya's 10-game record, and we're all thrilled. At the same time, her production has been understandably (and predictably) uneven, huge against lesser opponents, marginal against those who can match up with us in size and physicality. That aspect of her transition to basketball at this level has been something of a struggle, which is all she was saying.

Reaction Score
That is not what UConn Women's basketball is all about, particularly for a freshman. It's about learning, doing things right, and winning. SNY is not doing the program any favors by emphasizing such inane, unimportant trivia during their broadcasts.
Then, to learn that SNY did a poor job of researching it..OY! I was wondering where KML was...
I know they want to build interest, but, they're not doing it right for the program nor Breanna if this is going to be their approach. When they interviewed Stewie after the game, they brought this up: I wish she was confident enough (unrealistic for a freshman in December) to say "I did not know, and I do not care. I'm here to learn, and win, and there's been plenty of both so far".
On the other hand, how impressive an interview has Kelly Faris become? Looks you right in the eye, shoots straight, and doesn't blink, no matter what the question. She's a model interview.
12 oct Breanna on twitter . Bye twitter see you in april, we got some business to take care of! # chasing 8. I think that's why she doesn't know about any of that stuff, because the only record she is chasing is # 8.

Reaction Score
Moore's freshman year UConn team played one ranked team in their first 10 games, #4 Oklahoma, who UConn beat by 28.

Moore took 138 shots and made 77 for 55.8%. 15-43 on 3's for 34.9%. 19-27 on FT's for 70.3%.

Stewart has taken 107 shots and made 64 for 59.8%. 10-26 on 3's for 38.4%. 31-37 on FT's for 83.8%.

Does that help?

If these numbers are correct, I get 188 for Moore and 169 for Stewart. Moore: 62 2's 15 3's and 19 1's. Stewart 54 2's, 10 3's and 31 1's. Where did I go wrong?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
While several have contributed excellent points, the fact remains that Sarals original post on this thread remains pertinent. Yes, Breanna has broken Maya's 10-game record, and we're all thrilled. At the same time, her production has been understandably (and predictably) uneven, huge against lesser opponents, marginal against those who can match up with us in size and physicality. That aspect of her transition to basketball at this level has been something of a struggle, which is all she was saying.

Same with Moore. She had a few uneven games.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
For a true comparison the level of competition would need to be analyzed. Also, how many shots were taken and what is the comparison in shooting percentages?
Well UCONN has already played four top 20 teams - aTm (16), Purdue (14), PSU(10), and Maryland(11), and the latter 2 are probably legit top 10 teams. I'd say the competition has been pretty good. Much better than Maya's freshman year...

Maya's rookie year UCONN played Ga Tech, SDSU, URI, BYU, Oklahoma, Holy Cross, PSU, Washington, Northern Colorado, and Florida State. As DD pointed out, only Oklahoma was ranked, and UCONN blew them out. they had much closer games vs. Ga Tech, PSU, and FSU.

But honestly I think Maya was physically superior in that she had a college ready body when she got to UCONN. Also Maya had a motor that didn't stop. Geno used to make fun of her that it took till her senior year before she realized that running all over the place for the sake of running all over the place accomplished nothing. He wanted her to be much more efficient in the energy she expended.

But i think there will be a lot of valid comparisons of Maya vs. Breanna, but I think this current UCONN team is much deeper and overall more talented than Maya's freshman year. Doty went down with her ACL in the Syracuse game 17 games in and after that, in big games, UCONN basically only played 7 players, and in some games, he really only played 5 (against RU that year, McClaren got 7 minutes, Dixon 3, and Gardler 2).

It was Montgomery, Greene, Hayes, Moore and Charles logging most all of the minutes. The lack of depth was evident that year, which is not a problem this year when the team is healthy...

Reaction Score
This team has 3 possible All-Americans, Bria, Stef, Lewis, all Breanna should have to do is help. If Breanna was dominating every game, you would ask what happened to the other 3?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
If these numbers are correct, I get 188 for Moore and 169 for Stewart. Moore: 62 2's 15 3's and 19 1's. Stewart 54 2's, 10 3's and 31 1's. Where did I go wrong?

Add added up the numbers from 10 box scores. No doubt I had some errors.

Feel free to redo it for me....lol. It was a pain!!!!

Reaction Score
Please... :rolleyes:

I'm reminded of the phrase: Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts. [Although the phrase could be attributed to others, one of the people to whom it is attributed to is Albert Einstein]

Bottom line: Breanna and Maya had great starts to their UConn careers. Maya achieved a great career and we're anticipating Breanna will as well. SNY was (sadly) way overboard on this topic today, as are many of the posts in this tread that are down in the weeds citing details and trying to establish comparative significance from the background noise at the start of two college careers. Time to step back and just take the accomplishments for what they are without pushing the analysis way beyond what is reasonable or significant.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
BS had a great game. In a post game interview, she said was unaware of the SNY stats, even embarrassed by them. She had the truthful sense to say she is "about the wins", good enough for me.

I am surprised that there is not more "just plain joy" in this thread regarding her performance, overall play, and future. As for SNY, I am so glad they broadcast the games for me to watch.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I just wish she was as good as advertized. :rolleyes:

Note: The author of this post will not be held responsible for those whose sarcasm meters are broken or uncalibrated.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I loved when she said in the interview (paraphrased) "when I'm open, I shoot."

Reaction Score
When Breanna had that bad fall in the second half yesterday I wasn't worried about whether or not she would break Maya's record. Breanna could have easily been lost for the season. Thats what should matter, not some silly freshman record.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I loved when she said in the interview (paraphrased) "when I'm open, I shoot."

Reminiscent of Willie Mays who, when asked the secret of his extraordinary success, replied: "Well, when they hit it, I catch it. After I catch it, I throw it. And when they throw it, I hit it."

See? Nothin' to it.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

Does that help?

Nice work, DD. You are right, I love stats to analyze. You know me well. (-;

Those stats certainly lean in Stewart's favor.

Reaction Score
She will get better every game and I expect her to have a huge game at Stanford along with all the other UCONN players
UCONN by 15 or more,.

Reaction Score
Nothing I said about her was negative! I think she's phenomenal. The expectations were sky high.
she doesn't take over and dominate games because she doesn't have to. in high school she was WAY better than her teamates who just got out of her way. Here she just needs to let the game come to her. I think Geno may want more of the I'll take over attitude that DT and Maya had, but remember she is a freshman with more depth on this team than the others had.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
she doesn't take over and dominate games because she doesn't have to. in high school she was WAY better than her teamates who just got out of her way. Here she just needs to let the game come to her. I think Geno may want more of the I'll take over attitude that DT and Maya had, but remember she is a freshman with more depth on this team than the others had.
Dee's 2001 team had at least as much depth, including Sveta, Shea, Sue, and Swin, all of whose names are on the Gampel wall. Plus, Asjha and Tamika, top 6 draft picks, and Schuey. I'm hoping this year's team has that level if talent and depth, but it's too early to be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom