Breaking: WNBA Head Coach Becky Hammon Suspended | The Boneyard

Breaking: WNBA Head Coach Becky Hammon Suspended

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The WNBA suspended Las Vegas Aces head coach Becky Hammon for two games without pay for violating league workplace policies.

Via Fansided's Bailey Caldwell, the league released a statement confirming Hammon's punishment after investigating allegations of mistreatment by former Aces All-Star Dearica Hamby. The WNBA also stripped the Aces of their 2025 first-round draft pick. They don't possess their 2024 first-rounder.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The WNBA suspended Las Vegas Aces head coach Becky Hammon for two games without pay for violating league workplace policies.

Via Fansided's Bailey Caldwell, the league released a statement confirming Hammon's punishment after investigating allegations of mistreatment by former Aces All-Star Dearica Hamby. The WNBA also stripped the Aces of their 2025 first-round draft pick. They don't possess their 2024 first-rounder.

This says the 2025 pick

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
So disappointed that this has happened at all, however especially in a women's league that's all about women's empowerment, with a woman head coach (who's a mom), and it happened to another mom. :mad:

Reaction Score
So disappointed that this has happened at all, however especially in a women's league that's all about women's empowerment, with a woman head coach (who's a mom), and it happened to another mom. :mad:
Totally agree.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The Aces don't care one bit. Did you read the official comment from the team? something about the report not being consistent with the coach they know, and they stand behind her. I get that they weren't going to fire her, but that's basically telling the WNBA to f* off.

"The WNBA's determinations about Becky Hammon are inconsistent with what we know and love about her. Becky is a caring human being who forges close personal relationship with her players. We stand by Coach Hammon as she continues to lead the Las Vegas Aces," the team said. "We look forward to continuing to support our players, coaches, employees and the Las Vegas community."

Reaction Score
The Aces don't care one bit. Did you read the official comment from the team? something about the report not being consistent with the coach they know, and they stand behind her. I get that they weren't going to fire her, but that's basically telling the WNBA to f* off.

"The WNBA's determinations about Becky Hammon are inconsistent with what we know and love about her. Becky is a caring human being who forges close personal relationship with her players. We stand by Coach Hammon as she continues to lead the Las Vegas Aces," the team said. "We look forward to continuing to support our players, coaches, employees and the Las Vegas community."

Nope they don't.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

That's a suggestively interesting mix of punishment. But I suspect "workplace policies" covers a lot of ground ... a sins.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

There's no way Hammon did this alone. Others in Aces management had their role in it, so they really can't be that critical of her. At least not with a straight face.

Reaction Score
There's no way Hammon did this alone. Others in Aces management had their role in it, so they really can't be that critical of her. At least not with a straight face.
Exactly. Something about this whole situation does not add up.

Reaction Score
I am on the other end of this one. Becky is a very driven person and a no nonsense leader just like her mentor, Pop. If she thinks a decision by a player was made and the importance of her to the team wasn't considered then she is going to speak up and let the player know.

I understand family and how important it is so I understand why the player feels like she does but in my opinion she has no empathy for the position her team is in now. To me it should be an internal matter where both sides can vent their frustrations with the actions of the others.

Reaction Score
I am on the other end of this one. Becky is a very driven person and a no nonsense leader just like her mentor, Pop. If she thinks a decision by a player was made and the importance of her to the team wasn't considered then she is going to speak up and let the player know.

I understand family and how important it is so I understand why the player feels like she does but in my opinion she has no empathy for the position her team is in now. To me it should be an internal matter where both sides can vent their frustrations with the actions of the others.

And per Hamby's claims that everything was okay when she told them only to flip the switch and trade her, how is that okay? Hamby already has shown she can be in game shape and ready to play with the birth of her daughter. How does that explain any of Hammon's logic?

There also are teams with players currently on maternity leave who opted not to trade their players away. There are rules where they could have added another player to their roster while Hamby was on maternity leave should she had chosen to do so.

There are gaps in the story the Aces have put out that makes this even more confusing. They claim their players weren't interviewed, however the team didn't make their players available. Sorry, but something doesn't add up here.

Reaction Score
The protege of the darling of the coaches of the NBA. Power corrupts.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom