OT: - Brazil leading the USA at Fiba Americup, 2023 35 - 25 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Brazil leading the USA at Fiba Americup, 2023 35 - 25

Reaction Score
I will be honest I didn't get to watch Stanford a whole lot last year given I did not have access to the PAC 12 network but she does look really good so far this tournament but maybe Betts is just making a big jump and taking a step from where she finished her freshmen season (which happens all the time).

It will be interesting though to see how her first season at UCLA will go.

Cori has a golden opportunity with that roster... they may end up playing UCONN or LSU in the Cayman Islands early
I saw your earlier post about Betts. I was able to watch a lot of Pac 12 games, especially Oregon, USC, California, and Stanford games. I am a huge Haley Jones fan & I love watching the Oregon Ducks. For Betts, early in the season, she looked a little slow and unsure of where to be out on the court. As the season progressed, she showed signs of improvement and was looking pretty decent out there.

This year, like you said, I think Betts will make a huge jump in her progression. She has the size, good hands, great post up ability, and decent footwork in the post. I am hoping that she is gaining some confidence, especially playing in the FIBA Cup event, and will take this experience to UCLA and help Coach Cori and the UCLA program.

I am hoping that this FIBA game ends up on YouTube so that we can watch or rewatch the game.

Reaction Score
Good looking out!!
you're awesome GIF by Kevin Ross

Reaction Score
I saw your earlier post about Betts. I was able to watch a lot of Pac 12 games, especially Oregon, USC, California, and Stanford games. I am a huge Haley Jones fan & I love watching the Oregon Ducks. For Betts, early in the season, she looked a little slow and unsure of where to be out on the court. As the season progressed, she showed signs of improvement and was looking pretty decent out there.

This year, like you said, I think Betts will make a huge jump in her progression. She has the size, good hands, great post up ability, and decent footwork in the post. I am hoping that she is gaining some confidence, especially playing in the FIBA Cup event, and will take this experience to UCLA and help Coach Cori and the UCLA program.

I am hoping that this FIBA game ends up on YouTube so that we can watch or rewatch the game.

FIBA has a deal with Courtside 1891 for a few more events this current year, including the women's U19 World Cup. No idea if they have an arrangement to give FIBA the right to stream on their YouTube channel afterwards.

Seeing that this looks like a multi-year deal, gut feeling is no. It removes any incentive for people to sign up for their service.

They offer some games for free, I believe. One friend in the US mentioned they were able to see the US games, including the game against Brazil, without having to pay for the AmeriCup package.

Reaction Score
FIBA has a deal with Courtside 1891 for a few more events this current year, including the women's U19 World Cup. No idea if they have an arrangement to give FIBA the right to stream on their YouTube channel afterwards.

Seeing that this looks like a multi-year deal, gut feeling is no. It removes any incentive for people to sign up for their service.

They offer some games for free, I believe. One friend in the US mentioned they were able to see the US games, including the game against Brazil, without having to pay for the AmeriCup package.
Thanks. Appreciate the information and insight. Makes sense for FIBA to push the Courtside 1891. I just signed up and so far it seems like the streaming service is glitch free.

Reaction Score
Thanks. Appreciate the information and insight. Makes sense for FIBA to push the Courtside 1891. I just signed up and so far it seems like the streaming service is glitch free.
Happy to help. I'm using it with a VPN to watch the tournament including the Canadian games. Much less expensive than using the streaming service for the Canadian cable company. They're only streaming the Canadian games so I would be paying for two services to watch the event. :mad:

I don't have an issue with FIBA pushing these partnerships to an extent, however something needs to be done when other companies are also streaming. Like, they should mandate Rogers (the cable company) to broadcast the entire event including the Canadian games. It would have given me more incentive to sign up for the month instead of finding workarounds to avoid them.

Another example, during the men's U19 world cup Canadian games were primarily on FIBA's YouTube channel, until the quarterfinals when it switched to the cable streaming service. They lost that game, and then the rest of their games reverted back to YouTube. Stuff like this will only turn people off when you're trying to grow viewership in support of the game and Canadian players.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Brinks and Hailey Van Lith did the 3 v 3, so maybe they didn't want to participate in this as well.

Others you mentioned may have declined, although Morrow was cut during the final selections.
OR, and here's a thought, maybe the Coach they chose to lead this team is not capable of structuring a cohesive offense, I mean after all she is from the Pac12 and a team that relied solely on one player.
Jimmy Fallon Idk GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Reaction Score
Anyone watching the final? How? Never mind. I see the link for Courtside. Should I?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The 2021 USA team that won the AmeriCup included Rhyne Howard, Aliyah Boston, Haley Jones, Diamond Miller, Naz Hillmon, Elissa Cunane, etc. Overall team shooting stats weren't great 41/28 but good enough to win 6 games. Team USA beat Brazil by 11 in the semis and Puerto Rico by 15 in the finals. Dawn coached that team as she was the senior national team coach at the time. The current national team coach (Reeves) is busy with the Lynx.
If Dawn was the coach, it all becomes clear. They (the team) were afraid to lose!:rolleyes: Somehow, I don’t get that sense from Reeves!

Reaction Score
Anyone watching the final? How? Never mind. I see the link for Courtside. Should I?
If you haven't, I would log on to see the second half. USA leads by 2 points and there's been some drama, including a player ejection on the Brazil side.

Reaction Score
Looks like Kamila is dominating. Betts has 2 pts, Angel has 2. Rickea is carrying us with 19.

Reaction Score
Reese looks like she hasn't shot a ball in months. She is embarrassing herself pretty good tonight. Will flame out and not play at the next level without some type of other shot, too predictable.

I actually firmly believe she won't even be the best player on her own team next season..

Reaction Score
Reese looks like she hasn't shot a ball in months. She is embarrassing herself pretty good tonight. Will flame out and not play at the next level without some type of other shot, too predictable.

I actually firmly believe she won't even be the best player on her own team next season..
I hear you, but this is her first experience with international play. Not surprised that the physicality was a challenge for her along with some of the rules. Hopefully these battles with Cardoso will provide some extra motivation for the upcoming season.

Reaction Score
Screen Shot 2023-07-09 at 9.14.50 PM.png

Janiah Barker was also 1-8 or something.

Half of Reese's free throws were hitting the very side of the rim and bouncing off

Reaction Score
Kamila looked really good. She ran the floor well, was active on the glass, and scored practically at will. If this is what she brings to SC in the fall, and if Raven bounces back from this performance, I think SC is the team to beat in the SEC.

Reaction Score

I actually firmly believe she won't even be the best player on her own team next season.
Rickea Jackson rightfully got selected to the All-Tournament Team. Reese struggled in both losses to Brazil. In a combined 37:18 she scored 7 points on 2 of 10 fgs and 3 of 10 fts. She collected 9 rebounds over the two games. Last season at LSU Reese shot 53% on 2 point fgs and 71% from the free throw line. Playing against pros has to have been a rude awakening for Reese. Based on tournament play it seems Jackson has a far greater chance to succeed as a pro.

It struck me how physically aggressive Brazil plays. When they committed defensive fouls on US players they grabbed bodies and locked arms. I suspect the physical play bothered the US offensive flow. The defensive communication and defensive play on the US side was pretty bad. The gave Brazil too many uncontested shots.

Reese had no chance defending Cardoso. Betts has the size to disrupt Kamilla but Brazil had very effective plays screening Betts to get Cardoso open. Also the US guards got beat too often on drives by the quick Brazilian giards into the lane, forcing Betts to switch and leaving Cardoso open for the lob pass. Once the US got down by double digits mid way through the fourth quarter the US team seemed to give up.

Congratulations to tournament MVP Kamilla and her gold medal Brazil team. They play to their system and strengths extremely well. USA Basketball elected to field a junior team for the Americup Tournament as the US has already locked a spot in the 2024 Olympics as a result of winning the FINA Women's World Cup last September. This gave the roster of college players the experience of competing at the senior level.

I presume the pros currently playing in the WNBA will represent the US at the Olympic Qualifying Tournaments in February 2024. 16 countries have qualified for the FIBA OQTs (Brazil, USA, Canada and Puerto Rico advance from the Americup). I believe those 16 teams will receive berths into four 4-Team OQTs with 12 advancing to Paris next summer. I expect if the US and Brazil play either in February or next July/August we will see a completely different outcome in a revenge scenario.

Reaction Score
Kamila looked really good. She ran the floor well, was active on the glass, and scored practically at will. If this is what she brings to SC in the fall, and if Raven bounces back from this performance, I think SC is the team to beat in the SEC.
Yup Or TN with Rickea, Spears, Keys and wells. The SEC will come down to Those two. I have lsu 3rd or 4th behind those two based on their roster. Reese is decent but below average against elite players and they no longer have Morris bailing them out every week the last two years

Reaction Score
Yup Or TN with Rickea, Spears, Keys and wells. The SEC will come down to Those two. I have lsu 3rd or 4th behind those two based on their roster. Reese is decent but below average against elite players and they no longer have Morris bailing them out every week the last two years
This. Morris was basically the entire offense in LSU’s game against South Carolina. I’d be shocked if LSU doesn’t struggle to find a replacement for her ability and willingness to do everything for LSU when nobody can/will.

Reaction Score
Raven’s 3 pt shot looks terrible still. It’s her form that’s the problem and it’s unfortunate she seemingly hasn’t tried to fix it yet. I think she shot 0% from three in this tournament? Her shot on the free throw corner looked good the first toe games until teams scouted it.

Cardosa looked great but I think Cardosa always looks great. I know South Carolina brought in some outside firepower this year but I think their defense will take quite a big step back this year and in a little skeptical of Dana’s ability to blend the skills set she has at guard next year. I see them top 3 in the SEC but I have Tennesse and LSU ahead of them. Spear +Key + Jackson at z Tennessee is going to be step up for them from last year, imo.

Reaction Score
This. Morris was basically the entire offense in LSU’s game against South Carolina. I’d be shocked if LSU doesn’t struggle to find a replacement for her ability and willingness to do everything for LSU when nobody can/will.
Idk they lost pretty badly that game, and Hailey Van Lith and Morrow if they are anything are good offensive players. I also think Mikaylah Williams will be able to contribute right away. LSU really should be the team to beat in the sec imo.
Rickea was really impressive this tournament. In a potentially stacked draft she really should go top 5.
Also wanted to note the shooting and overall play of team usas guards was underwhelming. It's a different game I guess, but it is hard to win when your guards struggle that badly. They really coulda used Azzi, Hailey Van Lith, or even Paopao. I thought Jewel Spear struggled on both sides of the ball as well, though I still have high hopes for her when the season starts.
Lastly, I agree Reese has room for improvement offensively but I still love her intangibles. I feel like the team kinda adopted her spirit as she was the team captain. They really didn't back down from anyone despite being so young. She is also a tremendous rebounder and relatively good defender. So she basically has 2 years now to develop a face up jump shot or a couple post moves. I'm sure she can get the best trainers to help her.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom