OT: - Brazil leading the USA at Fiba Americup, 2023 35 - 25 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Brazil leading the USA at Fiba Americup, 2023 35 - 25

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
That is really a bunch of players that are not mostly top stars. Coached by Kamie Ethridge, with Aaron Johnston as one of the assistants. I can't place the other assistant.

I thought UConn was going overseas? or am I confusing them with someone else? I suspect teams that are traveling overseas perhaps were not looking to send players to this tourney.
Bingo!!

I’m pretty sure you can add Clark to that list too. Several colleges are taking the opportunity to practice before going abroad. I’m sure there were conflicts for many.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Was this the same group that Stewie and MoJeff lost to Kia Nurse and Canada one summer with Americup? It could have been another US team. It’s mostly college players but some of these teams have pros.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Was this the same group that Stewie and MoJeff lost to Kia Nurse and Canada one summer with Americup? It could have been another US team. It’s mostly college players but some of these teams have pros.
No, that was the 2015 Pan Am games that were played in Canada. The Pan Am games are played every 4 years and include many of the same AmeriCup teams. There was a time when the US sent professional players to the Pan Am games but beginning in 2003 Team USA's rosters have been made up of college players. The other countries typically send their senior national teams. Brazil defeated Team USA in 2019. The 2023 Pan Am games are in November but I'm not sure if Team USA will be participating.

Team Canada and Kia Nurse also won the AmeriCup in 2015 but the US did not participate that year. Under the old FIBA rules, the US did not have to participate in the AmeriCup because they earned automatic berths in the Olympics and World Cups by winning those events. FIBA rules changed beginning in 2019 and now Team USA must participate despite having earned an automatic berth for either the Olympics or World Cup. In 2019 Team USA's roster was mostly professional players, including Tina Charles and Sylvia Fowles, while in 2021 the team was exclusively college players. Team USA won gold in both 2019 and 2021.

Reaction Score
That is really a bunch of players that are not mostly top stars. Coached by Kamie Ethridge, with Aaron Johnston as one of the assistants. I can't place the other assistant.

I thought UConn was going overseas? or am I confusing them with someone else? I suspect teams that are traveling overseas perhaps were not looking to send players to this tourney.

UConn is going overseas sometime in august

Reaction Score
Watched the game last night. Still can't believe the US only had 4 assists that whole game.

The match up between Betts and Cardoso however was very entertaining. Betts definitely held her own yesterday with a double double (11 pts, 15 rebounds). Looking forward to when South Carolina and UCLA meet up this year. We will be seeing some good post play that game I believe.

Reaction Score
Just saw highlights. Hard to judge anything by those. BUT, the box score raises all kinds of questions. Rickea had big minutes almost as if they built the team around her. Reese...just 4 shot attempts? I'll stop here before I write a book. lol

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The 2021 USA team that won the AmeriCup included Rhyne Howard, Aliyah Boston, Haley Jones, Diamond Miller, Naz Hillmon, Elissa Cunane, etc. Overall team shooting stats weren't great 41/28 but good enough to win 6 games. Team USA beat Brazil by 11 in the semis and Puerto Rico by 15 in the finals. Dawn coached that team as she was the senior national team coach at the time. The current national team coach (Reeves) is busy with the Lynx.

Reaction Score
The USA has 0 shooters on the roster. We brought athletes, the other teams brought basketball players.
Also, some of these international "national" teams have played together for YEARS. That
partially explains Brazil's 16 assists to the USA team total of FOUR! (Not a misprint - 4)
Semi agree..... it takes time to get the timing down, especially against a
seasoned team like Brazil. It is also hard to score when you committing
21 turnovers. I'll have to rewatch the game video to see whether id
was good "D" or sloppy ball handling and/ or passing.
We need to correct something for the game against Poland!

Reaction Score
I found the video of the USA vs Brazil - Press Conference/FIBA women's Americup 2023.
(but could not bring it back up when I tried to find a good weblink to share).
For the USA, Head Coach Kamie Ethridge was very appropriate crediting Brazil for
excellent play and also focusing on our 21 turnovers and 4 assists. Coach Ethridge
also said: " We should have had our OLYMPIC team here." !!! Raven Johnson
was the USA player at the table. For Brazil the player selected was Kamilla
Soares (Cardoso) from the U of South Carolina. That part was all in Spanish!!
Coach Ethridge deferred on the question of USA not attempting/shooting the three pointer.
She said that she would have to "review the film first", but acknowledging that the
team was not shooting the " 3" very well. Raven comment it was hard to match up against
such a team with only about " 3 weeks of practice ". Let the games continue! Cuba
will not be a walkover. USA needs to win over Cuba to get second place in their pool of
teams.
Also, some of these international "national" teams have played together for YEARS. That
partially explains Brazil's 16 assists to the USA team total of FOUR! (Not a misprint - 4)

Semi agree..... it takes time to get the timing down, especially against a
seasoned team like Brazil. It is also hard to score when you committing
21 turnovers. I'll have to rewatch the game video to see whether id
was good "D" or sloppy ball handling and/ or passing.
We need to correct something for the game against Poland!
Not Poland.... Cuba!

Reaction Score
With the roster the US team has they will have trouble with a couple of the other squads. I realize a few of the big names aren't there but it seems like they also have a bunch of players that wouldn't play if they were on the UCONN roster. Seems like they could have gotten a lot better group than what they have but with all the other things going on maybe the bigger names are just to busy.

Reaction Score
I found the video of the USA vs Brazil - Press Conference/FIBA women's Americup 2023.
(but could not bring it back up when I tried to find a good weblink to share).
For the USA, Head Coach Kamie Ethridge was very appropriate crediting Brazil for
excellent play and also focusing on our 21 turnovers and 4 assists. Coach Ethridge
also said: " We should have had our OLYMPIC team here." !!! Raven Johnson
was the USA player at the table. For Brazil the player selected was Kamilla
Soares (Cardoso) from the U of South Carolina. That part was all in Spanish!!
Coach Ethridge deferred on the question of USA not attempting/shooting the three pointer.
She said that she would have to "review the film first", but acknowledging that the
team was not shooting the " 3" very well. Raven comment it was hard to match up against
such a team with only about " 3 weeks of practice ". Let the games continue! Cuba
will not be a walkover. USA needs to win over Cuba to get second place in their pool of
teams.

Not Poland.... Cuba!
The Brazil Coach and Alamilla Soares spoke Portuguese during the postgame press conference, not Spanish.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
"Except they can't shoot" -- @Reypl21

As per 4 assists for the entire U.S. team and "Arike wannabes": Well, Arike averages 4.4 assists per game by herself, which is currently the most per game of any of the other top 20 scorers in the WNBA, so it would be nice to see the team collectively match the Arike's output, no?

As per the shooting, the U.S. team shot 30% yesterday from the field, while Arike average 39.4%, so Arike is on top of that.

Per @Reypl21 's point: Jewell Spear and Deja Kelly both shot doughnuts from the field and Abby Hsu, who made the team because of her ability to shoot from distance, didn't take one shot from distance. In fact, she didn't take one shot n 6+ minutes.
Charisma Osborne went 1-6 from three. Hmm...maybe the coaching staff might utilize its resources to fit the reasoning behind choosing them for the team.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
:rolleyes:
No, The WNBA keeps track of those statistics, whether they be airballs or dimes. But you knew that ....;)

Right now, this current U.S.A. team doesn't have to compare itself to any one, past or present. They need to work with each other to get possible shots...then hit them.

Reaction Score
I'd bet many of Arike's teammates would agree...

I will readily admit Wake's Jewell Spear has not more recently been the same shooter for the Deacons as she was early in her college career. Apparently this summer's experience isn't any better.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom