2025 Recruiting: - Braylon Mullins update 7/13/24 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2025 Recruiting: Braylon Mullins update 7/13/24

Reaction Score
Who’s the last Midwest frosh we got? I feel like it’s been awhile. I feel like they tend to stay there.

Reed is St Louie but UM originally, case in point. Feel like it’s the region we typically have the least success, as most of our guys are NE, south or west coast. Even in Calhouns days it felt the same. Not a lot of big named rust belters/corn field kids at UConn to my immediate recollection.

Khalid was Minnesota.

Reaction Score
Who’s the last Midwest frosh we got? I feel like it’s been awhile. I feel like they tend to stay there.

Reed is St Louie but UM originally, case in point. Feel like it’s the region we typically have the least success, as most of our guys are NE, south or west coast. Even in Calhouns days it felt the same. Not a lot of big named rust belters/corn field kids at UConn to my immediate recollection.

Khalid was Minnesota.
Ryan Boatright was from Illinois. Caron Butler was Wisconsin (although played prep in Maine). Lyman DePriest was Michigan.

I'm sure there has to be more but you're right, we haven't had a lot of players from the midwest. There are a lot of major schools out that way so you're competing with a lot of closer options. But it's a new era now. UConn is probably on even better footing for recruits than during the prime Calhoun era.

Reaction Score

Khalid was Minnesota.
Although he arrived in Storrs as a JC Transfer and not a HS or Prep route, Johnnie Selvie heralded from Flint MI. He was pretty good and a high effort 4. I think he was sort of a black hole where the ball went to him and rarely found its way back out. But was pretty good at finishing around the rim.

He's the only recruit that I can remember off top my head coming from the midwest. The competition is usually fierce for the very good ones, either ending up at one of the premier Big10 or Big12 programs or one of the out-of-region historical Blue Bloods. It would be nice to see some success recruiting that region.

I wonder why we haven't had much success in that region considering we've done well all the way as far as Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Texas, California and Washington State. Part of it might be due to not heavily recruiting many players from that region.

Reaction Score
I can't access the article, but a little surprised that pitching him as a one and done is part of the strategy.
Since he rose so quickly and so recently in the rankings, some coaches may have an anchoring bias and talk to him like a 4* recruit who nonetheless has a bright future.

Positioning ourselves as "you'll be the feature 5* one and done wing like Castle, McNeeley" could be a winning strategy in a very competitive recruitment.

awy

Reaction Score
how many recruits understand how much better uconn offense is vs other colleges, and how it's a future NBA trend. McNeely clearly seems to understand, maybe Reibe, but I think AJ also.

Reaction Score
Since he rose so quickly and so recently in the rankings, some coaches may have an anchoring bias and talk to him like a 4* recruit who nonetheless has a bright future.

Positioning ourselves as "you'll be the feature 5* one and done wing like Castle, McNeeley" could be a winning strategy in a very competitive recruitment.

This is a good point and makes sense.

Reaction Score
Ryan Boatright was from Illinois. Caron Butler was Wisconsin (although played prep in Maine). Lyman DePriest was Michigan.

I'm sure there has to be more but you're right, we haven't had a lot of players from the midwest. There are a lot of major schools out that way so you're competing with a lot of closer options. But it's a new era now. UConn is probably on even better footing for recruits than during the prime Calhoun era.
That is some damn good recall. Tip of the hat.

Reaction Score
Although he arrived in Storrs as a JC Transfer and not a HS or Prep route, Johnnie Selvie heralded from Flint MI. He was pretty good and a high effort 4. I think he was sort of a black hole where the ball went to him and rarely found its way back out. But was pretty good at finishing around the rim.

He's the only recruit that I can remember off top my head coming from the midwest. The competition is usually fierce for the very good ones, either ending up at one of the premier Big10 or Big12 programs or one of the out-of-region historical Blue Bloods. It would be nice to see some success recruiting that region.

I wonder why we haven't had much success in that region considering we've done well all the way as far as Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Texas, California and Washington State. Part of it might be due to not heavily recruiting many players from that region.
Historically lots of those kids came to us from the south/west because both are really football regions. That may be changing.

As for Mullins, surprised to the one and done pitch too. On paper doesn’t seem like one, as 6’4” kid just rising up the lists. Kid would seem at least partially developmental, where if so his list should be with the best coaches (certainly not IU).

Reaction Score
Historically lots of those kids came to us from the south/west because both are really football regions. That may be changing.

As for Mullins, surprised to the one and done pitch too. On paper doesn’t seem like one, as 6’4” kid just rising up the lists. Kid would seem at least partially developmental, where if so his list should be with the best coaches (certainly not IU).

He's really fricken' good. One-and-done good? Well, idk. We'll get a better sense during the hs season. But he is VERY, very talented and has the single most important skill for an NBA player (elite shooting).

Reaction Score
Almost feels like a misquote or there’s additional context we’re missing. Outright telling a player to come to UConn to be a one and done seems antithetical to everything we know about DH and how he recruits.

awy

Reaction Score
it's a sign of how much he is sought after. i'm surprised by the message but it may be response to what the player wants

Reaction Score
Almost feels like a misquote or there’s additional context we’re missing. Outright telling a player to come to UConn to be a one and done seems antithetical to everything we know about DH and how he recruits.
Agreed. I don’t doubt that it came up that maybe he COULD be a one and done or that he was talented enough to potentially be one…but I doubt that is necessarily the expectation here.

pj

Reaction Score

If you were DH, wouldn't you want to replicate the Stephon Castle experience as frequently as possible?

Reaction Score
Johnie Selvie joins the party. Every so often he comes up in a post one of our more entertaining players. I liked big john.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
One and done pitch is aggressive. But that tells us how Dan feels about Mullins.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom