Bracketology | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Bracketology

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Hey hey, it's bracketology day! Welcome Oregon.
1670943207057.png

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
This is so laughable moving us down to a 3 seed, which shows how ridiculous it is to do this every week. Still, if it ended out like this, I like where we are. We can beat VT, Oregon, and Indiana. Plus, we are on the opposite side of the bracket from SC. It may end up like last year when everyone was afraid to have us in their bracket, but realistically, I expect to get a number 1 seed when all is set and done.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Does Charlie have Texas not making the field? Am I reading this correctly?

Reaction Score
I understand the short sighted methodology of moving Uconn to a 3 seed given the two losses. But assuming we regain full health, those losses, both not particularly bad losses, will be weighted with the injuries in mind. Additionally, in years past, especially during the committee reveals, they punish extreme sos weakness. That’s exactly what I picture them doing to LSU. I see them as a 4 seed from the committee, if for no other reason than to prove a point.

If you truly are a top 8 team nationally, it’s a huge shame to not schedule any noteworthy opponents. Robbing the wcbb community of high level competitive games, and the opportunity to draw eyeballs to the sport on national TV. No excuse for your OOC schedule to be ranked 239th in SOS through mid December, with your next opponent ranked 340th …….

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I understand the short sighted methodology of moving Uconn to a 3 seed given the two losses. But assuming we regain full health, those losses, both not particularly bad losses, will be weighted with the injuries in mind. Additionally, in years past, especially during the committee reveals, they punish extreme sos weakness. That’s exactly what I picture them doing to LSU. I see them as a 4 seed from the committee, if for no other reason than to prove a point.

If you truly are a top 8 team nationally, it’s a huge shame to not schedule any noteworthy opponents. Robbing the wcbb community of high level competitive games, and the opportunity to draw eyeballs to the sport on national TV. No excuse for your OOC schedule to be ranked 239th in SOS through mid December, with your next opponent ranked 340th …….
Actually with the schedule that Mulkey has currently played, LSU shouldn't even be in the tournament. There are teams that have played a much rougher schedule and are not even in it. If you can't play teams in the Top 50 in Nov - Dec time frame, then you shouldn't even be thought of until you can prove it in conference play.

Reaction Score
This is so laughable moving us down to a 3 seed, which shows how ridiculous it is to do this every week. Still, if it ended out like this, I like where we are. We can beat VT, Oregon, and Indiana. Plus, we are on the opposite side of the bracket from SC. It may end up like last year when everyone was afraid to have us in their bracket, but realistically, I expect to get a number 1 seed when all is set and done.
And, can you imagine the thoughts of those teams above us... "OMG, we might have to play UCONN ... sure hoping things change dramatically."

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Bracketology before New Year's is stupid. Well, Okay, it's stupid anytime before the week preceding selection day but it's ludicrous where less than half the teams have even played - and the VAST majority of games played involved cupcakes
There are two seasons......
  • The preseason where teams like LSU load up on cupcakes and Twinkies to begin the conference portion of their schedule with 12-13 wins and no losses. Don't look for LSU head coach Kim Mulkey to change her M.O. anytime soon. She's been doing it that way for years, and it's worked for her for years.
  • The regular or "conference" portion where wins are not that easy to come by.
Lots of things can happen between now and selection Monday in March. :eek:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The whole key is not getting in the SC or Stanford bracket. If we are at full strength, we would be favorite over anyone else regardless of seed

Reaction Score
The whole key is not getting in the SC or Stanford bracket. If we are at full strength, we would be favorite over anyone else regardless of seed
Okay, I don't really want you in SCar's bracket - but I do want you in Greenville in the other bracket! I wanna' party (wine & dine) with some of you folks in downtown Greenville during the 16/8 games.

Hero-Main-Street-Liberty-Bridge.jpg

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
There are two seasons......
  • The preseason where teams like LSU load up on cupcakes and Twinkies to begin the conference portion of their schedule with 12-13 wins and no losses. Don't look for LSU head coach Kim Mulkey to change her M.O. anytime soon. She's been doing it that way for years, and it's worked for her for years.
  • The regular or "conference" portion where wins are not that easy to come by.
Lots of things can happen between now and selection Monday in March. :eek:
It's one of the reasons why she is heralded with accolades of fastest to 600 wins in only 700 games, beating Adolph Rupp's record of 600 wins in 704 games, by playing cupcake schedules prior to conference play in both the Big 12 and SEC.

This year she will not be playing a team rated in the Top 50 by Massey ratings until LSU (Massey rated #20) plays at Arkansas, who is #19. The highest rated team that LSU has played so far is #82 Tulane. The Tigers have played seven teams that are rated between 200 and 356, with two UAB #146 and Tulane in the top 150. While UConn has played seven teams rated in the Top 50, with two teams rated above 100, Providence at 115 and Northeastern rated at 203. Every Big East team has a higher SOS than LSU's 239. The Big East has a Massey rated range of UConn's #1 to Butler's #221.

Reaction Score
It's one of the reasons why she is heralded with accolades of fastest to 600 wins in only 700 games, beating Adolph Rupp's record of 600 wins in 704 games, by playing cupcake schedules prior to conference play in both the Big 12 and SEC.

This year she will not be playing a team rated in the Top 50 by Massey ratings until LSU (Massey rated #20) plays at Arkansas, who is #19. The highest rated team that LSU has played so far is #82 Tulane. The Tigers have played seven teams that are rated between 200 and 356, with two UAB #146 and Tulane in the top 150. While UConn has played seven teams rated in the Top 50, with two teams rated above 100, Providence at 115 and Northeastern rated at 203. Every Big East team has a higher SOS than LSU's 239. The Big East has a Massey rated range of UConn's #1 to Butler's #221.
Great info @MSGRET

Makes one wonder how a coach can do this to his/her team, then enter the Tournament against the top 68 teams in NCAA WBB. If they never get tested, how can they pass the final exam??

Reaction Score
The injuries have hurt us, but like last year we could drop down quite a bit, and then work our way back to a pretty good seeding as we go thru the Big East schedule, and the teams in the Power 5 conferences knock off each other somewhat. Getting one of the last two #1 seeds after SC and Stanford is very difficult now, but I think a goal of being the 5th or 6th ranked team is quite possible.

That could get us one of the top two #2 seeds, and might mean we could avoid having to beat SC or Stanford to get to the Final Four. We might even be favorites against the last two #1 seeds if matched up against them if we are playing better at that time, which is quite possible.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Does Charlie have Texas not making the field? Am I reading this correctly?

Indeed! I thought they were out of the top 16, but they are not listed at all. He has them on the bubble as one of the first 4 out. And they just lost Aaliyah Moore for the season to an ACL. They were #3 in the pre-season. It's a long way down!

Reaction Score
Okay, I don't really want you in SCar's bracket - but I do want you in Greenville in the other bracket! I wanna' party (wine & dine) with some of you folks in downtown Greenville during the 16/8 games.
Greenville is great and I love your guys' arena. Was in the area for work back in 2017 and got to see SCar play in the SEC tourney. Great atmosphere. :) Wouldn't mind going back for this year's big dance ...

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Indeed! I thought they were out of the top 16, but they are not listed at all. He has them on the bubble as one of the first 4 out. And they just lost Aaliyah Moore for the season to an ACL. They were #3 in the pre-season. It's a long way down!
Unbelievable. He had them on the bubble before Moore's injury was announced. From a #1 seed to not making the field in a little over a month! Of course, I fully expect Texas to right the ship and make the tournament. I never thought they were a #1 seed even with a healthy Harmon but this just shows the silliness of doing regular brackets this early in the season.

Reaction Score
Greenville is great and I love your guys' arena. Was in the area for work back in 2017 and got to see SCar play in the SEC tourney. Great atmosphere. :) Wouldn't mind going back for this year's big dance ...
Downtown has changed a lot in 5 years

Reaction Score
Not that bracketology matters much in December but placing UConn as a 3-seed is actually just wrong. The committee looks at two factors that favor UConn: strength of schedule and NET ranking. UConn is still #5 in the NET and have the hardest schedule in the nation. They already possess more quality wins than most of the teams seeded above them and I don’t think either of their losses could be categorized as “bad losses” (maybe Notre Dame but considering the mid-game injury to Azzi + it being a true road game I’d tip towards no). There is just no way teams like LSU would be rewarded with a 2-seed for playing an entire non-con schedule full of juco-level teams (sorry not sorry).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom