Bracketology - Not Charlie Creme's | The Boneyard

Bracketology - Not Charlie Creme's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Anybody know what the asterisk means? Does it designate conference champion/autobid?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I think Baylor ends up in Lincoln with UConn.

I would not want to meet S Carolina. I still think Baylor ends up in the Stanford region. UT vs Louisville would be fun.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
You would not want to meet South Carolina team blown out by Tennessee and Kentucky this month? No signature out of conference wins?

I'd sign up for USC as our 2 seed in a NY minute.

No, USC is a dangerous team. I would not want to match up with them as they are very athletic.

Reaction Score
You scare easily.

Looking at the top 8, they are at best the 7th best team. And are playing poorly heading into the NCAA.

Athleticism is overrated in WCBB. Teams that can score are the dangerous ones and USC struggles to do that.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I agree with ASweet. Of the potential 2 seeds, South Carolina is the worst of the lot and the team I'd most enjoy beating in the NCAA's. I'd much rather see Baylor in Tennessee's bracket as I think they handle Tennessee with ease keeping them from the final 4, but not much we can do about that.

I'd also enjoy possibly meeting UNC as well. Not a team in UCONN's bracket I see coming within 20 points but it would be fun to watch. I still think the Tennessee and Stanford brackets need to be swapped - a potential final 4 of Tennessee vs. UCONN and Stanford vs. ND is better.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
"a potential final 4 of Tennessee vs. UCONN and Stanford vs. ND is better" YES!!! May it be so. Can you imagine!? It would be so good for the game....but first UT has to win. I"m not so concerned the other three won't make it, esp. us and ND.

Reaction Score
You scare easily.

Looking at the top 8, they are at best the 7th best team. And are playing poorly heading into the NCAA.

Athleticism is overrated in WCBB. Teams that can score are the dangerous ones and USC struggles to do that.
USC has the frontline to matchup with UConn but they struggle to score on the offensive end. The Dookies are hoping that they are Stanford's #2 because Stanford has the weakest backcourt of the #1 seeds.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
USC has the frontline to matchup with UConn but they struggle to score on the offensive end. The Dookies are hoping that they are Stanford's #2 because Stanford has the weakest backcourt of the #1 seeds.

Maybe they're putting in too much effort to score on the defensive end.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I kind of like this better than the one Creame did.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
I'd take Rutgers being a 10 seed, playing Georgia in Durham, with Duke in the wings.

Reaction Score
My dream scenario would involve:

1) Destroying South Carolina in the Elite 8 (drawing a very stark contrast for Wilson -- does she want to achieve greatness simply on her own, or be part of a dominant team?)
2) Beating Tennessee, soundly, in a true road game in the Final Four (making their fans file for the exits midway through the second half as they resign themselves to the fact that Geno is going to win #9 in their home state)
3) Taking down Notre Dame in the finals, convincingly (ending the debate about whether they could hang with us, and in doing so exposing as a myth the vaunted strength of the ACC)

Reaction Score
No, USC is a dangerous team. I would not want to match up with them as they are very athletic.

Do you really believe that UCONN will have any trouble what so ever with them? I guess if you think loosing by 20+ is giving someone trouble, so be it.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Do you really believe that UCONN will have any trouble what so ever with them? I guess if you think loosing by 20+ is giving someone trouble, so be it.

I think that if UCONN got into foul trouble that USC has the players to cause some worry. Not sure if you have watched them but they really do have some very good players on that team. They definitely have some length and athleticism to match up physically. Don't sell them short.

Reaction Score
Well, in a little more than 24 hours we'll have the real thing.

Then the bitching and moaning can begin in earnest.

Reaction Score
These brackets and Creme's display little variation and are laudably equitable, with one troubling discrepancy, when using the latest AP Poll as an independent measure equitability. Even in that discrepancy, both Charlie and Not-Charlie are, perhaps surprisingly, similar. My methodology is to rank the top four teams, i.e., the expected Sweet Sisteen, in each bracket using the AP rankings as an independent and to some degree unbiased estimator of each teams relative rank. Using a value of 25 for the AP's top team, 24 for the second, 23 for the third, etc., I've calculated a value for each bracket in the Charlie and Not-Charlie efforts. The higher the calculated value, the, in theory, tougher the bracket.

For example, the top four teams in UConn's Not-Charlie bracket are (AP Rank in parens): UConn (1), South Carolina (8), Nebraska (13), and North Carolina (12). Those rankings translate into UConn = 25, South Carolina = 18, Nebraska = 13, and North Carolina = 14, or an overall score of 70. The other Not-Charlie brackets have scores of Notre Dame = 74, Louisville = 77, and Stanford = 59.

The top four teams in UConn's Charlie bracket are: UConn (1), Baylor (7), Nebraska (13), and Maryland (11). Those rankings translate into 25 for UConn, 19 for South Carolina, 13 for Nebraska, and 15 for North Carolina, or an overall score of 72. The other Not-Charlie brackets have scores of Notre Dame = 75, Louisville = 75, and Stanford = 58.

The brackets exhibit the following score distributions (given as Not-Charlie/Charlie:
UConn (Lincoln) 70/72
Notre Dame (South Bend) 74/75
Tennessee (Louisville) 77/75
Stanford (Stanford) 59/58

The method used, 25 for #1 (UConn), 24 for #2 (Notre Dame), etc. results in a total bracketology score of 280 or 70 points for each bracket (assuming the top 16 teams in the brackets are the top 16 teams in the AP, which, remarkably they are). Of course, each bracket shouldn't have exactly 70 points even under an ideal distribution since the #1 overall seed should have a somewhat easier set of opponents than the #2 overall seed, etc. Given UConn is #1, and Notre Dame is #2, those totals don't seem irregular at all -- except out west. If these brackets truly represent the seeding rules of the selection committee, they should be embarrassed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom