Bracketology Feb 26th. Baylor still a #2 Seed. | The Boneyard

Bracketology Feb 26th. Baylor still a #2 Seed.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Bracketology with Charlie Creme

The only way I see Baylor as a #2 seed is if Notre Dame beats Louisville for the ACC Tournament Championship. IMO if Louisville wins, then Notre Dame is the #2 Seed and Baylor is #1 in Spokane. If that happens, who knows what Region Notre Dame ends up in.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
You really think so??

I see it differently. If both Louisville and ND make it to championship game of ACC I don’t think they move off 1 line despite a loss (as they are both #1 seeds).

I still think SOS keeps the Bears on the 2 line.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Even though the ACC considers Notre Dame and Louisville as Co-Champs, I don't. Louisville destroyed ND by 33 Points (100-67). If Louisville beats them again, then we and the committee know who the Best team in the ACC is. Baylor by anyones eye test and performance on the court is one of the Top 4 teams in the country.

You really think so??

I see it differently. If both Louisville and ND make it to championship game of ACC I don’t think they move off 1 line despite a loss (as they are both #1 seeds).

I still think SOS keeps the Bears on the 2 line.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Looking at the bubble.

Last four in
Minnesota
Purdue
Rutgers
Creighton

First four out
South Dakota State
Nebraska
Oklahoma
UCF

Rooting heavily for UCF and Nebraska. How well do they have to do in their conference tournaments to get over the bubble?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Even though the ACC considers Notre Dame and Louisville as Co-Champs, I don't. Louisville destroyed ND by 33 Points (100-67). If Louisville beats them again, then we and the committee know who the Best team in the ACC is. Baylor by anyones eye test and performance on the court is one of the Top 4 teams in the country.
ND's strength of schedule is #1 (they played UConn so that puts it higher than UConn's) so they could absorb a loss to Louisville and still be a #1 seed. Louisville has a SoS of 8 vs. Baylor's 10 so they need the win more. If ND beats Louisville, I see Louisville being #2 in Lenxington with Baylor being #1. If Louisville wins, I see ND and Baylor going to Spokane as the #1 and #2 seeds.

I would be interested in hearing from Plebe who has pretty good insight on this stuff.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Looking at the bubble.

Last four in
Minnesota
Purdue
Rutgers
Creighton

First four out
South Dakota State
Nebraska
Oklahoma
UCF

Rooting heavily for UCF and Nebraska. How well do they have to do in their conference tournaments to get over the bubble?
If I may ask-why Rutgers over Nebraska? CVS has lost 9 of her last 12, has free-fallin in the ratings down to #57 while Nebraska has shot up to #43 and finished 3rd in the Big10. Their SoS is negligiable at 54 for Neb vs. 40 for RU. Purdue is #58 ranked and tied for 7th. I don't see RU or Purdue getting in barring a big run thru the B10 tourney...Oklahoma is in. UCF is out. Their ranking is #65 and their Sos is 73-NO way are they getting in...this year. Minnesota is in. Tough call on SD St vs. Creighton.

Charlie seems like a nice enough guy but he's delusional on some of these as the committee looks at the whole season and at who's playing well now. IMO the Spokane bracket is pretty soft...

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
In AAC-related news, I see that this latest Bracketology shows (I believe for the first time) that UCF is one of the "first four out". That would seem to imply that if UCF can get to the Finals of the upcoming AAC tournament (which probably implies a victory over South Florida in the Semifinals), then they would probably get into the Dance. I don't think that would result in USF being excluded, although it might cost them a seeding line or two. So in that event, the AAC would be represented by three teams, as it has been in past years.

I had always wondered why I never saw a reference to UCF prior to now on any of the previous Bracketology editions.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

To me, ND should be ahead of Louisville right now. Better RPI, better strength of schedule. The Committee doesn't take computer rankings into account, as far as I know, but both Massey and Sagarin have ND ahead of Louisville. You can't just throw out that head-to-head, but anyone who has watched ND knows they have greatly improved since that game, especially defensively since switching to the zone basically full-time.

If the margin of Louisville's victory over ND matters so much, it should matter that Louisville lost at home to the same Florida State team that ND whipped by 31 in Tallahassee.

That being said, Louisville was ahead of ND in the final rankings reveal, so you are probably right.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
To me, ND should be ahead of Louisville right now. Better RPI, better strength of schedule. The Committee doesn't take computer rankings into account, as far as I know, but both Massey and Sagarin have ND ahead of Louisville. You can't just throw out that head-to-head, but anyone who has watched ND knows they have greatly improved since that game, especially defensively since switching to the zone basically full-time.

If the margin of Louisville's victory over ND matters so much, it should matter that Louisville lost at home to the same Florida State team that ND whipped by 31 in Tallahassee.
That being said, Louisville was ahead of ND in the final rankings reveal, so you are probably right.
Hold up! " To me, ND should be ahead of Louisville right now." "You can't just throw out that head-to-head.....".
Seems that your rationale ( ND > Cards) is doing exactly that-throwing out the head to head. I have a hard time throwing out the ND vs Louisville game because it was 16 games into the season.

Reaction Score
Leave BU a #=2 Seed and put them in the #3 seed bracket. BU will benefit more from it. I like the idea of UConn vs Miss State/BU in final. Pending BU beats 1 seed ND or Louisville.

Reaction Score
Bracketology with Charlie Creme

The only way I see Baylor as a #2 seed is if Notre Dame beats Louisville for the ACC Tournament Championship. IMO if Louisville wins, then Notre Dame is the #2 Seed and Baylor is #1 in Spokane. If that happens, who knows what Region Notre Dame ends up in.
I have found in the past that C.Creme's bracket placements of the 8 regions does not always fall in line with the committee's brackets. Any comments/thoughts?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Hold up! " To me, ND should be ahead of Louisville right now." "You can't just throw out that head-to-head.....".
Seems that your rationale ( ND > Cards) is doing exactly that-throwing out the head to head. I have a hard time throwing out the ND vs Louisville game because it was 16 games into the season.

I think it's significant but I don't think it's more significant than any other game. It's a road loss to the then-#3 team in the country. Ok, Louisville lost at home to then-#12 Florida State.

I think we should be comparing overall resumes, not "Louisville beat ND head-to-head, therefore they must be a higher seed".

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think it's significant but I don't think it's more significant than any other game. It's a road loss to the then-#3 team in the country. Ok, Louisville lost at home to then-#12 Florida State.
I think we should be comparing overall resumes, not "Louisville beat ND head-to-head, therefore they must be a higher seed".
We are comparing overall resumes. Head to head is a part of overall resume no need to exclude it.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
We are comparing overall resumes. Head to head is a part of overall resume no need to exclude it.

Who is arguing that we exclude it?

I'm saying that ND's overall resume is better. Better RPI, better strength of schedule, more RPI top 50 wins. That's the argument for ND's resume. What is the argument for Louisville's? Beat ND badly head-to-head. And? What else?

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
Either way, I see Baylor (and Louisville) going to Lexington. If Louisville loses the ACC tourney and Baylor wins the Big 12 Tourney, Baylor has a possibility of being a #1 with Louisville as the #2. More than likely, it will be the other way around.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Who is arguing that we exclude it? I'm saying that ND's overall resume is better. Better RPI, better strength of schedule, more RPI top 50 wins. That's the argument for ND's resume. What is the argument for Louisville's? Beat ND badly head-to-head. And? What else?
I am.
Seems that your rationale ( ND > Cards) is doing exactly that-throwing out the head to head.

Reaction Score
If I may ask-why Rutgers over Nebraska? CVS has lost 9 of her last 12, has free-fallin in the ratings down to #57 while Nebraska has shot up to #43 and finished 3rd in the Big10. Their SoS is negligiable at 54 for Neb vs. 40 for RU. Purdue is #58 ranked and tied for 7th. I don't see RU or Purdue getting in barring a big run thru the B10 tourney...Oklahoma is in. UCF is out. Their ranking is #65 and their Sos is 73-NO way are they getting in...this year. Minnesota is in. Tough call on SD St vs. Creighton.

Charlie seems like a nice enough guy but he's delusional on some of these as the committee looks at the whole season and at who's playing well now. IMO the Spokane bracket is pretty soft...

I can never figure out if Charlie's trying to guess what the NCAA bracket will look like, or whether he's putting his own opinion in there. In his last one, he had Buffalo, which at the time had an RPI of 15, on the outside looking in, while Miami and Michigan, #44 and 47, respectively, were in.

I hate the RPI, I think they ought to get rid of it for good. I especially hate it when people start talking about RPI and then SOS. Since the RPI is 75% based on opponents records, it IS strength of schedule. There's no need to give double bonus points for scheduling strength. And, since you have no control over your conference, the better choice entirely would be nonconference SOS. Conference SOS should be ignored completely.

Reaction Score
I can never figure out if Charlie's trying to guess what the NCAA bracket will look like, or whether he's putting his own opinion in there. In his last one, he had Buffalo, which at the time had an RPI of 15, on the outside looking in, while Miami and Michigan, #44 and 47, respectively, were in.

I hate the RPI, I think they ought to get rid of it for good. I especially hate it when people start talking about RPI and then SOS. Since the RPI is 75% based on opponents records, it IS strength of schedule. There's no need to give double bonus points for scheduling strength. And, since you have no control over your conference, the better choice entirely would be nonconference SOS. Conference SOS should be ignored completely.
Along the same lines, I can't figure out why he excludes Oklahoma. They are highly thought of in RPI which is confirmed by Massey and Sagarin. They have an insane schedule. The only knock is they only have one strong win, USF, assuming they don't count their two wins over WVU. I hope they knock off Texas to remove all doubt, but they should be considered in already.

I think we tend to forget that this bracketology is just one person's opinion, and he doesn't have the best track record. We really have no idea how the bubble is shaping up in the minds of the committee.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I can never figure out if Charlie's trying to guess what the NCAA bracket will look like, or whether he's putting his own opinion in there. In his last one, he had Buffalo, which at the time had an RPI of 15, on the outside looking in, while Miami and Michigan, #44 and 47, respectively, were in. I hate the RPI, I think they ought to get rid of it for good. I especially hate it when people start talking about RPI and then SOS. Since the RPI is 75% based on opponents records, it IS strength of schedule. There's no need to give double bonus points for scheduling strength. And, since you have no control over your conference, the better choice entirely would be nonconference SOS. Conference SOS should be ignored completely.
Maybe Charlie doesn't use RPI in his calculation.
Can't agree with you that conference SOS should be ignored completely because not all conferences are created equal.
If you are playing in a tough conference you should get credit for competing in a tough conference just like you should get penalized for a weak OOC schedule as Maryland was last year and Baylor seems to be this year.

Reaction Score
There should be no differentiation between conference and nonconference SOS. The schedule as a whole is what matters.

Reaction Score
Maybe Charlie doesn't use RPI in his calculation.
Can't agree with you that conference SOS should be ignored completely because not all conferences are created equal.
If you are playing in a tough conference you should get credit for competing in a tough conference just like you should get penalized for a weak OOC schedule as Maryland was last year and Baylor seems to be this year.
It seems like RPI is the only factor that Charlie's bracketology and the Selection Committee are considering. Although, good to see Duke in his top 16.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I only just noticed, but Baylor is now 4th in the RPI over Louisville. There is really no justification for keeping us as a 2 seed according to their own metrics.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
I only just noticed, but Baylor is now 4th in the RPI over Louisville. There is really no justification for keeping us as a 2 seed according to their own metrics.
Here's Massey's rating which gives more insight than RPI Massey Ratings - CBW
Baylor has #10 SoS with Louisville #8.

My view is if Louisville wins the ACC, they and ND stay #1's. If ND wins, then Lousville with 3 losses gets beaten out by Baylor (assuming BU wins the Big12) and both get put in the Lexington Region.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom