bracketology (again) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

bracketology (again)

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
***enters thread.... Keep Duke the heck outta Bridgeport.... ***** leaves thread
What? You wouldn't relish the opportunity to invade the great state of Connecticut and pull the great upset with your redshirt defector watching?

Reaction Score
And the Arizona Sun turned around and lost to the #7 seed Lady Vols

It wasn't last year when ASU had the gymnastics conflict. It was two years ago.
You're right. In any case, ASU hosted last year too. I went to see Tennessee play twice that weekend (Green Bay & ASU) and DD played well both times.

Plebe

Reaction Score
You're right. In any case, ASU hosted last year too. I went to see Tennessee play twice that weekend (Green Bay & ASU) and DD played well both times.
They seem to pretty much go as she goes.

Diamond has taken heaps of criticism, but can you imagine how bad they would've been this year without her?

Reaction Score
Duke's had a lot more defectors than Azura over the last few years. UConn's had transfers too, but players leave because of playing time.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
What? You wouldn't relish the opportunity to invade the great state of Connecticut and pull the great upset with your redshirt defector watching?

Yeah... That would be nice. But I'd also most likely be banned from the boneyard if that occurred.. Cause I'd definitely be acting a fool :cool:

Plebe

Reaction Score
Yeah... That would be nice. But I'd also most likely be banned from the boneyard if that occurred.. Cause I'd definitely be acting a fool :cool:
I know you've said that you'd like to see your team awarded a #2 seed for the tournament. Creme has Duke as the top #3 seed, but the more I compare resumes, the more I think the committee will put Duke ahead of Maryland:
  • Duke: #8 RPI, #20 SOS, 5 wins vs. RPI top 25 (8 wins vs. top 50), best win over probable #1 seed South Carolina.
  • Maryland: #16 RPI, #85 SOS, 1 win vs. RPI top 25 (6 wins vs. top 50), best win over probable #4 seed Louisville.
The only thing that weighs in Maryland's favor in resume comparison is Duke's loss to Vandy. But the committee has historically emphasized quality wins more heavily than bad losses. Duke's second-worst loss, to NC State, is roughly equivalent in the committee's eyes to MD's loss to OSU.

So that leads me to my next question: Would you rather be a #2 seed in Bridgeport or a #3 somewhere else?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I know you've said that you'd like to see your team awarded a #2 seed for the tournament. Creme has Duke as the top #3 seed, but the more I compare resumes, the more I think the committee will put Duke ahead of Maryland:
  • Duke: #8 RPI, #20 SOS, 5 wins vs. RPI top 25 (8 wins vs. top 50), best win over probable #1 seed South Carolina.
  • Maryland: #16 RPI, #85 SOS, 1 win vs. RPI top 25 (6 wins vs. top 50), best win over probable #4 seed Louisville.
The only thing that weighs in Maryland's favor in resume comparison is Duke's loss to Vandy. But the committee has historically emphasized quality wins more heavily than bad losses. Duke's second-worst loss, to NC State, is roughly equivalent in the committee's eyes to MD's loss to OSU.

So that leads me to my next question: Would you rather be a #2 seed in Bridgeport or a #3 somewhere else?

f21553d8d6669bbeadcbae4f6ef9e53ea96453052a410cde3623a7a561724e3e.jpg

I'm sure Bridgeport is a fine city, but..... I'd personally rather see Duke shipped to Stockton. Both of our seniors are from California....and if our season were to end before the final four.. It would be good to have them play their last games in their home state.

My second choice would be Oklahoma City.

Reaction Score
It wasn't last year when ASU had the gymnastics conflict. It was two years ago.

The same venue schedule conflict did occur last year, but it was with Michigan State, not ASU. As the 4-seed in the Bridgeport Regional, they could not host, and their sub-regional group was moved to Starkville & 5-seed, Miss State. Their coach, Suzie Merchant, bitterly raised hell after losing to Miss St in a close 2-point game, complaining about the NCAA policy. Miss St's good fortune didn't last - they got shellacked 1 round later in that infamous 60-pt loss to the Huskies

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Imagine the howling out of College Park if Duke ends up ahead of Maryland in the seeding line.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Imagine the howling out of College Park if Duke ends up ahead of Maryland in the seeding line.
I seriously thought they had skulked away with their tail between their legs after Maryland got run out of Ohio State's gym. And yet they're already back, whining about how they should be a #1 seed just because they beat Purdue to win their sorry conference. Head bang So yes the howling will be real.

Reaction Score
I seriously thought they had skulked away with their tail between their legs after Maryland got run out of Ohio State's gym. And yet they're already back, whining about how they should be a #1 seed just because they beat Purdue to win their sorry conference. Head bang So yes the howling will be real.

Who's whining about this?

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
I just can't understand how any athletic department, especially one with a top women's basketball program like Stanford that is always in the top 15, can put their team in a position like that. And where are the coaches to complain? This would never happen to a men's program. Basically sacrificing their teams best chance to advance. They should have never bid to host the PAC 12 gymnastics championship that weekend unless they had more than one facility than could host multiple events.

There is precedent for this. I remember when I was in college, LSU got a top 4 seed but had to travel the first two weekends of the tournament because their arena was hosting a ping pong tournament. Sue Gunter was incredulous; I found the whole thing amusing.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I do think the committee values championships...regular season
and conference. In Maryland's favor....they won both...Duke won neither.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
The same venue schedule conflict did occur last year, but it was with Michigan State, not ASU. As the 4-seed in the Bridgeport Regional, they could not host, and their sub-regional group was moved to Starkville & 5-seed, Miss State. Their coach, Suzie Merchant, bitterly raised hell after losing to Miss St in a close 2-point game, complaining about the NCAA policy.

See if I understand this. Michigan State was unable to host as a result of a scheduling decision made by Michigan State and the coach was mad at… the NCAA?

Plebe

Reaction Score
That will be great news for Green Bay, which on that logic will now be seeded ahead of Baylor.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
***enters thread.... Keep Duke the heck outta Bridgeport.... ***** leaves thread
Actually I want Duke in Bridgeport because I plan on going and want see JPM in a dress!

Plebe

Reaction Score
See if I understand this. Michigan State was unable to host as a result of a scheduling decision made by Michigan State and the coach was mad at… the NCAA?
It was more like she was venting about the whole experience:
Couch: Nothing fair about NCAA tourney experience for Spartan women

Michigan State lost a very close and competitive game at Starkville in which some questionable calls went against them down the stretch. At one critical point a Miss St player had a foot out of bounds, caught clearly on the replay but missed by the officials.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
"Acting?"......;)

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
There may be "talking points" that analysts may make on this kind of thing but when questioned about items like this in past years, the specific chairman/chairwoman has always said RPI/SOS, quality wins and recent trend of playing well (winners of last 8 or 7 of 9), not "look, they won the regular season Horizon League and then won the Conference Tournament, so they should be rewarded over stronger team". Not happening. Especially in light of their past periodic releases of the bracket showing how little they respected the MD record vs. RPI.

Reaction Score
I most definitely would, and this is where me and tria differs. To be the best you have to beat the best. Joanne has been ducking Geno for some time now, and she had quite a lot to say this summer. Would love to see her get a chance to back up the smack she talked, pretty sure Geno would enjoy the matchup as well.

Reaction Score
Actually I want Duke in Bridgeport because I plan on going and want see JPM in a dress!
Maaaaan, I'm only 22 so I really could careless about what coaches wear I focus more on the court. Although, I will add, it definitely caught me off guard seeing her in a dress vs Notre Dame.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom