9. Duke
  10. Texas
  11. Wash
  12. Fla St
  13. UCLA
  14. Lou
  15. Kentucky
  16. Ohio St
And then showing that bracketing is not the simple S curve, here's my proposed bracket

CT - UConn / Stanford / Fla St / Ohio St
KY - ND / MD / Wash / Kentucky
OK - Baylor / Miss St / Duke / UCLA
CA - SC / Ore St / Tex / Louisville

Notes:
I flipped Stanford & MD, bc I think the committee will want to give UConn the weakest 4 (Ohio St), and the only can do that if the 2-3 seeds are PAC/ACC. And then flipped Fla St and Duke so that the sum of the ranks in CT (36) is higher than in OK (32).

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Nice work.

My only quibble with your rankings is that I think Florida St is #11 ahead of Washington. In fact, I see an outside chance that Washington falls behind UCLA. I also think there's an outside chance that the committee puts Duke ahead of Maryland.

Why does the sum of the ranks in CT need to be higher than in OK?

Last edited:

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I see Baylor going to Stockton due to their loss to WV in the B12 championship.

I know the committee considers geography and Baylor would be a big draw on Oklahoma region but there has to be a price for that loss.

Reaction Score
Excellent job. I'd move Oregon State to #2 in Uconn's bracket, and Stanford to #2 is SC's bracket. If this came to pass, I think that Stanford could beat SC and reach the final four.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Excellent job. I'd move Oregon State to #2 in Uconn's bracket, and Stanford to #2 is SC's bracket. If this came to pass, I think that Stanford could beat SC and reach the final four.

If Oregon St is the highest #2 seed, they'll be unlikely to be placed with the highest #1 seed.

Reaction Score
Why does the sum of the ranks in CT need to be higher than in OK?

Doesn't have to be, I just think the committee will try to give UConn the easiest bracket, since it is the clear #1 .

Reaction Score
I see Baylor going to Stockton due to their loss to WV in the B12 championship.

I know the committee considers geography and Baylor would be a big draw on Oklahoma region but there has to be a price for that loss.
Their punishment is a tougher bracket.

Reaction Score
Nice work.

My only quibble with your rankings is that I think Florida St is #11 ahead of Washington. In fact, I see an outside chance that Washington falls behind UCLA. I also think there's an outside chance that the committee puts Duke ahead of Maryland.

Ok, using Duke > Md and FSU > Wash, I get this:

1 UConn / 8 Duke / 12 Wash / 16 Oh St
2 ND / 7 Stan / 9 Md / 15 Ky
4 Bay / 6 Miss St / 11 FSU / 13 UCLA
3 SC / 5 Ore St / 10 Tex / 14 Lou

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Unfortunately for Stanford, they will be the lone seed who has to the road for the first two rounds. Their home arena will be hosting the PAC Gymnastics championships that weekend.

So, Crème has them going across the country to play in West Virginia. I think they end up at Tennessee. Will be tough for them to advance out of the first weekend.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately for Stanford, they will be the lone seed who has to the road for the first two rounds. Their home arena will be hosting the PAC Gymnastics championships that weekend.

So, Crème has them going across the country to play in West Virginia. I think they end up at Tennessee. Will be tough for them to advance out of the first weekend.

I just can't understand how any athletic department, especially one with a top women's basketball program like Stanford that is always in the top 15, can put their team in a position like that. And where are the coaches to complain? This would never happen to a men's program. Basically sacrificing their teams best chance to advance. They should have never bid to host the PAC 12 gymnastics championship that weekend unless they had more than one facility than could host multiple events.

Plebe

Reaction Score

What makes you think they'll be at Tennessee? Because of the attendance factor?

There is an additional guideline that the committee is supposed to make an effort to avoid rematches of regular-season games in the first two rounds.

Reaction Score
Who would draw more fans to Stockton, Stanford (right down the road) or Oregon State (arguably a larger fan base but much further away) ? The committee has to consider attendance and what the answer is could have a rippling effect.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I just can't understand how any athletic department, especially one with a top women's basketball program like Stanford that is always in the top 15, can put their team in a position like that. And where are the coaches to complain? This would never happen to a men's program. Basically sacrificing their teams best chance to advance. They should have never bid to host the PAC 12 gymnastics championship that weekend unless they had more than one facility than could host multiple events.

It would never happen to a men's program because the men never get to host NCAA tournament games anyway.

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
I don't think we could beat Stanford.

Reaction Score
It would never happen to a men's program because the men never get to host NCAA tournament games anyway.

If they did, I guarantee you that the Stanford athletic dept. having a top 10 men's bball program would never bid to host a gymnastics event the same weekend of the opening rounds.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Ok, using Duke > Md and FSU > Wash, I get this:

1 UConn / 8 Duke / 12 Wash / 16 Oh St
2 ND / 7 Stan / 9 Md / 15 Ky
4 Bay / 6 Miss St / 11 FSU / 13 UCLA
3 SC / 5 Ore St / 10 Tex / 14 Lou

Interesting that the Lexington regional would have all of the same top-4 seeds from last year, just in a different order.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I hear ya. Stanford has a veteran coach and a historied program; they know which weekend the NCAA tourney begins having hosted first weekend games numerous times.

Plebe

Reaction Score
A similar situation occurred two years ago, when Arizona State was slated to host the Pac-12 gymnastics meet and was expected to be unable to host. Then in February it was announced that the gymnastics meet was being moved to Salt Lake City, and ASU was cleared to host after all. Pac-12 change clears way for ASU women to host in NCAAs

I'm sure Tara and her staff did her best, but for whatever reason they couldn't make it happen.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
What makes you think they'll be at Tennessee? Because of the attendance factor?

There is an additional guideline that the committee is supposed to make an effort to avoid rematches of regular-season games in the first two rounds.
Well if you believe Crème has the correct #7 seeds -- Marquette, Tennessee, West Virginia, and Arizona State -- then Stanford has to go to one of those locales. They can't go to ASU as they are both in the same conference.

So, that means travel half-way across the country or all the way across the country for Stanford. Definitely no "reward" whatsoever. I believe getting to Morgantown is not easy (have to fly to Pittsburgh and then drive another hour?); someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Who knows if Marquette put in a bid to host? I'm assuming bids have to be submitted by a certain date

We know Tennessee must have submitted a bid. They'd bring in more fans than the other options.

Time will tell.

No matter where Stanford has to go, the travel won't be easy. And, neither will playing on the road.

Reaction Score
Same thing happened to ASU last year. Charli TT stood up for the program and got the gymnastics championships moved from ASU to Utah so ASU could host the basketball 1st & 2nd rounds. I wondered at the time how that must have made the gymnasts feel. Plus Stanford may have a first-class gymnastics team (??). If basketball is to take precedence over gymnastics, then there should be some contingency arrangements ahead of time.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Same thing happened to ASU last year. Charli TT stood up for the program and got the gymnastics championships moved from ASU to Utah so ASU could host the basketball 1st & 2nd rounds. I wondered at the time how that must have made the gymnasts feel. Plus Stanford may have a first-class gymnastics team (??). If basketball is to take precedence over gymnastics, then there should be some contingency arrangements ahead of time.

And the Arizona Sun turned around and lost to the #7 seed Lady Vols

Plebe

Reaction Score
Well if you believe Crème has the correct #7 seeds -- Marquette, Tennessee, West Virginia, and Arizona State -- then Stanford has to go to one of those locales. They can't go to ASU as they are both in the same conference.

So, that means travel half-way across the country or all the way across the country for Stanford. Definitely no "reward" whatsoever. I believe getting to Morgantown is not easy (have to fly to Pittsburgh and then drive another hour?); someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Who knows if Marquette put in a bid to host? I'm assuming bids have to be submitted by a certain date

We know Tennessee must have submitted a bid. They'd bring in more fans than the other options.

Time will tell.

No matter where Stanford has to go, the travel won't be easy. And, neither will playing on the road.

Morgantown does have a small airport, so unless the Stanford team has to use a large commercial airline, which I highly doubt, that shouldn't be an issue.

This is what Creme says about why WVU, not Marquette, would be hosting:

The win and championship propelled Marquette from No. 27 overall to No. 25. That makes the Golden Eagles the top No. 7 seed. Ordinarily, that gives them priority along that seed line, providing Marquette the opportunity to be placed with Stanford and become the host school (a building conflict will prevent the Cardinal from hosting, which it earned as a No. 2 seed).

However, bracketing principles and procedures prevent that from happening, so West Virginia remains the No. 7 seed with Stanford. No other scenarios work to allow Marquette to shift there. Despite the Big East title, the Golden Eagles remain in the Oklahoma City Regional playing Purdue in Corvallis in the latest projection.​

Plebe

Reaction Score
And the Arizona Sun turned around and lost to the #7 seed Lady Vols

It wasn't last year when ASU had the gymnastics conflict. It was two years ago.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom