Boxscore vs Baylor 12/18 | The Boneyard

Boxscore vs Baylor 12/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Brittany and Sims had 48 of their 66 points...I would say that Geno's strategy almost worked. Let Brittany have hers and stop everyone else... We did stop everyone else except Sims.

Reaction Score
It's sort of like other teams trying to stop the team with Tina, Kalana, and Maya on it. Stop Tina, and Kalana steps up. Stop Maya, and Tina steps up. Stop Maya--oh, wait a minute. . . :p

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Brittany and Sims had 48 of their 66 points...I would say that Geno's strategy almost worked. Let Brittany have hers and stop everyone else... We did stop everyone else except Sims.

I think you hit it right on the head. We didn't stop Simms.

Reaction Score
I think you hit it right on the head. We didn't stop Simms.

How true.

But I can't help but wonder why BB wasn't given a chance to try and slow her down, if not stop her?

Peace,

John Fryer

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
BB wasn't given a chance to try and slow her down, if not stop her?

Secret weapon for March?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I was actually OK with the defense. Griner is a great player and is going to get her points and the best you can hope for with Sims is to slow her down, but Baylor as a team scored only 65 points. ND allowed them to score 81. I thought the problem was that there were stretches of time where the Huskies lost their minds on offense. The crazy drives into the paint, the rushed threes... The Huskies got nothing from Caroline, Kelly had 5 points and Heather didn't even attempt a shot. Certainly Baylor had a lot to do with that but I thought when UConn was patient with its offense, passed the ball crisply and made the defense move side to side, it got much better shots.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I was actually OK with the defense. Griner is a great player and is going to get her points and the best you can hope for with Sims is to slow her down, but Baylor as a team scored only 65 points. ND allowed them to score 81. I thought the problem was that there were stretches of time where the Huskies lost their minds on offense. The crazy drives into the paint, the rushed threes... The Huskies got nothing from Caroline, Kelly had 5 points and Heather didn't even attempt a shot. Certainly Baylor had a lot to do with that but I thought when UConn was patient with its offense, passed the ball crisply and made the defense move side to side, it got much better shots.

Exactly, and I think that's what Geno was saying when he said this game would be won on the offensive end. We did well enough on defense, just didn't score enough.....give credit to Baylor for that.

Reaction Score
Did I read that right UConn 2-3 for free throws for the whole game, Baylor 16-18 - most in the second half. Ouch. That's a game changer right there.

Reaction Score
From another view, there were only four more fouls called on UConn, two of which came late in the game out of desperation.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
From another view, there were only four more fouls called on UConn, two of which came late in the game out of desperation.
Exactly, as observed the other day the difference etween shot fouls and perimeter fouls.

Reaction Score
Exactly, and I think that's what Geno was saying when he said this game would be won on the offensive end. We did well enough on defense, just didn't score enough.....give credit to Baylor for that.

Close but not the case for this game, the "D" played on BG by SD was poor as compared to what HB was able to do, that was the lynch pin BG scored on SD at will all game, not so much when Heather was in. I feel that if HB played ten minutes or so in the 2nd half effectively neutralizing BG as she did in the 1st half and BB was put in for Doty we stood a far better chance to win this game, given that when Geno put HB in in the 1st half we were down 7ish points with SD in the game. and when Geno pulled HB out we had the lead. Geno came close but he under stress gets a bit to rigid in making the choices available to him. What won the game for Baylor was their defense, that could have been us with some minor player adjustments.

Reaction Score

ND allowed 94 pts. ND scored 81 pts. That game featured a combined 49 fouls and 66 ft. UConn was able to do what you need to do against Baylor....hit 3's. ND's big issue wasn't just Griner and Sims, it was that they let a third score double figures. ND would have had a much better chance in Waco if they wouldn't have shot 17% from 3. The only silver linings ND got from that game was they were still able to score 40pts in the paint, 4th game of the season and they were basically Achonwa-less. She was put in the line-up a couple weeks earlier than expected after MCL surgery and only logged an err filled, rusty 12 minutes after being out with injury. Like UConn I think ND wants Baylor on a neutral court and both would be confident in their chances.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
ND allowed 94 pts. ND scored 81 pts. That game featured a combined 49 fouls and 66 ft. UConn was able to do what you need to do against Baylor....hit 3's. ND's big issue wasn't just Griner and Sims, it was that they let a third score double figures. ND would have had a much better chance in Waco if they wouldn't have shot 17% from 3. The only silver linings ND got from that game was they were still able to score 40pts in the paint, 4th game of the season and they were basically Achonwa-less. She was put in the line-up a couple weeks earlier than expected after MCL surgery and only logged an err filled, rusty 12 minutes after being out with injury. Like UConn I think ND wants Baylor on a neutral court and both would be confident in their chances.
Uh, OK. I wasn't taking a shot at ND; they're a terrific team but even they gave up a lot of point to Baylor. That says to me that UConn's defense was just fine last night as it held Baylor to 66.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Close but not the case for this game, the "D" played on BG by SD was poor as compared to what HB was able to do, that was the lynch pin BG scored on SD at will all game, not so much when Heather was in. I feel that if HB played ten minutes or so in the 2nd half effectively neutralizing BG as she did in the 1st half and BB was put in for Doty we stood a far better chance to win this game, given that when Geno put HB in in the 1st half we were down 7ish points with SD in the game. and when Geno pulled HB out we had the lead. Geno came close but he under stress gets a bit to rigid in making the choices available to him. What won the game for Baylor was their defense, that could have been us with some minor player adjustments.

Yea, gonna just have to disagree with you on this one. I'll stick with Geno. We keep Baylor to 66 points, I think we should be happy with the defense. We only score 61, we shouldn't be happy with the offense.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I didn't see the game--I was on a train from NYC to DC--but what Nan describes is a movie I've seen before. We need to outgrow that.

Reaction Score
Yea, gonna just have to disagree with you on this one. I'll stick with Geno. We keep Baylor to 66 points, I think we should be happy with the defense. We only score 61, we shouldn't be happy with the offense.

Thats fine we don't need to agree, I'll just believe I'm right because I know I am :)

GO UCONN !!!!!!!

Reaction Score
Did I read that right UConn 2-3 for free throws for the whole game, Baylor 16-18 - most in the second half. Ouch. That's a game changer right there.
It was Uconn's own fault. You don't draw many fouls shooting 3's; or driving against Griner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom