Box Score Notes | The Boneyard

Box Score Notes

Reaction Score
5 in double figures including Samson. Spencer with 5 assists to lead the team. Newton continuing to fill the stat sheet with 14. 7, and 3. Clingan with 12 points in only 15 minutes. Looked great out there to the point where I forgot about any foot injury. Karaban with 22. All American in the making.

Reaction Score
My takes
1. Karraban is the glue guy at both ends of the court.
2. Clingkong will dominant. I love his swag. However he continues to need to work on his foul shooting.
3. Triston had an off night from deep. However, he attacked the basket very well.
4. I like Cam but he is no Joey C.
5. Samson looked good but needs to stay out of foul trouble.
6. They play unselfish. 15 assists I believe.
7. I like the freshman. Stewart is going to be good.

Reaction Score
Two of AK's missed 3s were hoisted from ~30 ft out with time on clock. Not sure what that was about. Something he's doing in practice?

I kinda doubt Hurley is looking for anyone to shoot from beyond NBA range with time on the clock with regularity. Probably just feeling it and taking some risks... it won't happen in big games.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
My takes

4. I like Cam but he is no Joey C.
5. Samson looked good but needs to stay out of foul trouble.
4. Cam isn't here to replace Joey C. He'll see double or triple the minutes as one of the big pieces. 5 assists, 1 turnover. I think he just was doing the early season Napier role - get other guys involved cause he can get his when he needs to later.

5. Samson limiting the dumb fouls will be one of the most important things for this team to go deep. He needs to be available for 20 minutes some nights. Other than the bad fouls, I thought he looked almost as good as the backup center as Cling did last year. A great change of pace player when he comes in. He's going to have to be able to step out and hit one or two 3s a game.

Reaction Score
4. Cam isn't here to replace Joey C. He'll see double or triple the minutes as one of the big pieces. 5 assists, 1 turnover. I think he just was doing the early season Napier role - get other guys involved cause he can get his when he needs to later.

5. Samson limiting the dumb fouls will be one of the most important things for this team to go deep. He needs to be available for 20 minutes some nights. Other than the bad fouls, I thought he looked almost as good as the backup center as Cling did last year. A great change of pace player when he comes in. He's going to have to be able to step out and hit one or two 3s a game.
Samson finally gave us all a glimpse of what DH has been talking about. He said this guy had Nba lottery talent. What i liked is that he seem to get comfortable as the game went along. Sure the fouls werent good but its game one and he seem to get better as the game went on. Also one of the fouls was bs because he was shoved into a moving screen. If he stays healthy he`ll get better and better.

Reaction Score
Samson looked springy and active, LOVE THAT.

Castle looked poised as could be, gonna be a dogggggggggg

Karaban is the alpha now, putting the ball on the floor, loooooooove it

Can't wait for the next one, need another Andrew Hurley 3

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Ball listed as playing 15 minutes. That was a very quiet 15 minutes.
Defense was OK, had a nice dunk. Some bad shots.
Impressed with Yousif block.
Ball is the real deal . Wait you'll see.

I missed about 30 seconds of game time watching last night. My timing during TO's for snacks and drinks and the like was off.

Ball's dunk must have been during that time as I certainly don't remember him with a dunk.

caw

Reaction Score
I missed about 30 seconds of game time watching last night. My timing during TO's for snacks and drinks and the like was off.

Ball's dunk must have been during that time as I certainly don't remember him with a dunk.
That was my bad. Not a dunk...a lay in. Had to rewatch the highlights to see it again. Still a nice move.

Reaction Score

Ball's dunk must have been during that time as I certainly don't remember him with a dunk
Layup…You got duped into admitting you missed 30 seconds of game time. Guess your BY posting is off too. No worries, it was only game 1

Reaction Score
Karaban has gotten stronger. He’s a very good player. Now it’s time for him to be an alpha on the court instead of the solid presence he was as a freshman. I like seeing him embrace that.
He is great. Plays a very smart game and if there is a big shot I have no doubt it goes in.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Ball listed as playing 15 minutes. That was a very quiet 15 minutes.
Most of his offense was catch and shoot 3s. With all that athleticism he has I’m hoping he attacks more. He did have a few nice cuts towards the rim though too.

One got him that layup and he got stuffed on another.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Stew looked super impressive. Offensively he looked like the 2nd most ready freshman out the group. Could do it all.

Ross looked heady and long on defense. That pass to a cutting Karaban was great.

Spencer looked very passive this game which is fine. He’s a 5th year senior he should be ready when he needs to step up.

Newton looked solid driving the ball. Drew a lot of fouls. Got up for a lot of rebounds too. Felt like every time I looked up he was in the air for one of those or a block.

Karaban was the player of the game. Made everything look easy. Want to see how the drives look against better comp but that was encouraging to see. Very efficient too didn’t need a lot of dribbles to get to the rim.

DC still working back from the foot but still looked dominant.

SJ has crazy athleticism. Him and DC as lob threats are going to open up a lot on offense. He looks like he still has work to do with overall positioning on offense and defense to work on it fouling as much. The dunks and blocks should be of abundance though.

Castle looked like he had some first game jitters but you can see the talent. I hope in the future Hurley lets him get more time at PG with Newton on the bench. He looked to come alive for the few minutes that was his role. Defense looked pretty good though.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Samson finally gave us all a glimpse of what DH has been talking about. He said this guy had Nba lottery talent. What i liked is that he seem to get comfortable as the game went along. Sure the fouls werent good but its game one and he seem to get better as the game went on. Also one of the fouls was bs because he was shoved into a moving screen. If he stays healthy he`ll get better and better.
It’s year 3 and Samson is still often not in the right position defensively. The hand check foul on the pick and roll was particularly bad. He rarely elevates from the help side on penetration at the rim. We are very vulnerable in the paint when he comes in.

He looked very good offensively. And that’s exciting, because he’ll need to keep pace with the points I’m concerned we’ll be giving up at the big East level when he’s in the game.

Reaction Score
Karaban has gotten stronger. He’s a very good player. Now it’s time for him to be an alpha on the court instead of the solid presence he was as a freshman. I like seeing him embrace that.

Yea I loved that Alex took it right at their big goon center (#7), drew contact, and finished.

BTW, NAU was not a bad team. Guards were small and outmatched but could definitely shoot. Their center was really a great 1st game matchup for Donovan and Samson. Physical, big presence. Didn't make anything easy.

Reaction Score
I kinda doubt Hurley is looking for anyone to shoot from beyond NBA range with time on the clock with regularity. Probably just feeling it and taking some risks... it won't happen in big games.

It was definitely a designed play for a fastbreak trailing 3 from the top of the key. I have no problem with that shot/play at any time (other than just maybe the lead guard needs to drive a couple steps more...stop a few feet inside the 3pt arc so the trailer's shot is a few feet closer)...gives the shooter a great in-rhythm look.

Reaction Score
Ball got on the ball on floor once and they announcers gave the credit to Castle.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom