Bowl math | Page 18 | The Boneyard

Bowl math

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It is theoretically possible. As a matter of statistical probabilities it is so unlikely that I’d worry about other things if I were you.

Note that this is a statement as of today. Changing rules, changes in bowl contracts or adding and subtracting bowls all change the math.

This. There are several ESPN owned bowls that do not have tie-ins. An 8-4 UConn would find a bowl, even if that means horse trading a single open slot amongst all the ESPN owned properties.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The question was clearly answered.
"Theoretically possible," means that it is possible, which is the answer I gave, along with an attribution to someone who reports on this sort of thing for a living.

Probability is a separate issue.

Reaction Score
"Theoretically possible," means that it is possible, which is the answer I gave, along with an attribution to someone who does it for a living. Probability is a separate issue.
You can't be serious. You think probability is not a relevant component of a "theoretically possible" answer? That is a hill you want to die on?

Husky25

Reaction Score
You can't be serious. You think probability is not a relevant component of a "theoretically possible" answer? That is a hill you want to die on?

That was not the question asked and the more you harp on it, make it sound as if you are worried.

Yes, with the current number of bowl games, an 8-4 Independent program would most likely receive a bowl bid. However, if the number of Bowls were reduced for whatever reason, As an independent without a direct tie-in like Army, BYU, or Notre Dame, UConn would not be guaranteed an invite. Recall 2003, when a 9-3 Independent UConn stayed home.

Reaction Score
That was not the question asked and the more you harp on it, make it sound as if you are worried.

Yes, with the current number of bowl games, an 8-4 Independent program would most likely receive a bowl bid. However, if the number of Bowls were reduced for whatever reason, As an independent without a direct tie-in like Army, BYU, or Notre Dame, UConn would not be guaranteed an invite. Recall 2003, when a 9-3 Independent UConn stayed home.

All of which was stated in my response that you criticized. The comparison to 2003 is more misleading than helpful because the number of bowls is substantially higher today.

First rule of holes -- when in one stop digging. But it's a free country, so keep going if you want.

Husky25

Reaction Score
There isn't a hill he wouldn't die on.

seth meyers good job GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

If you are referring to Calcaterra's defense, that was a discussion of opinion (Last night's game did nothing to sway mine). This is a matter of fact.

Reaction Score
seth meyers good job GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

If you are referring to Calcaterra's defense, that was a discussion of opinion (Last night's game did nothing to sway mine). This is a matter of fact.
Nah, it was a matter of semantics. You didn't like the word "liability".

Joey was burnt early a couple times and ultimately played solid defense in the second half. He's still the weakest defender on the team (who gets minutes), it isn't close, and that's okay, because his overall game is very good.

But there isn't a hill you won't die on.

Husky25

Reaction Score
All of which was stated in my response that you criticized. The comparison to 2003 is more misleading than helpful because the number of bowls is substantially higher today.

First rule of holes -- when in one stop digging. But it's a free country, so keep going if you want.
Which is what I said in my post! We can go 'round & 'round but it is so not worth it to me. You're welcome to the last word on the above. I'll just have to live with being technically correct.

Although, I am curious which post you believe I criticized. Over the course of 10 years and nearly 18,000 posts, I thought it was clear that I hold you in pretty high regard. I thoroughly enjoy your views from 241. Be that as it may, I basically restated what Brett McMurphy said on the CT Scoreboard podcast.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Nah, it was a matter of semantics. You didn't like the word "liability".

Joey was burnt early a couple times and ultimately played solid defense in the second half. He's still the weakest defender on the team (who gets minutes), it isn't close, and that's okay, because his overall game is very good.

But there isn't a hill you won't die on.
You're right, I don't like the word, "liability," in terms of Calcaterra's defense. In my world, "liability" is a negative. I don't think that of his defense. I can agree that he may be the weakest defender of the rotational players and still be average. Especially on an overall very good defensive team. There is room to think he is not as good defensively as Newton, Alleyne or Diarra and still not believe he is, "a piss poor defender," "plays zero defense, "is a lability against mid majors," or that he, "is probably more like 5-10 [minute guy]."

I noticed Lipsey penetrated a couple times vs. Calcaterra as well. On one, he was picked and couldn't recover (I recall no one switching either, but still. He didn't avoid the screen). The other was a similar pick play, where Sanogo helped, but peeled off Lipsey to play a pass that never happened, leaving an open lane. Lipsey played well yesterday. On the other hand, Calcaterra took a charge and contributed to holding Grill to 1 point.

Incidentally, Karaban got burnt twice as well (the break out dunk after the free throw and the putback where he didn't box out.). I'm not saying they are equal, but defensive breakdowns happen. It is what it is.

Reaction Score
There is room to think he is not as good defensively as Newton, Alleyne or Diarra and still not believe he is, "a piss poor defender," "plays zero defense, "is a lability against mid majors," or that he, "is probably more like 5-10 [minute guy]."
On that we agree. Perhaps you should stop responding to anyone critical of his defense as if they made those comments and instead just respond to what they actually wrote.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom