Bouknight Minutes | The Boneyard

Bouknight Minutes

Reaction Score
Everything has been discussed ad nauseum about Bouknight but one thing I haven't seen talked about is his minutes. He played the full 40 against Maryland. We had nothing going so I'm not sure I'd say I have a problem with it, but I feel like Hurley was doing a good job managing his minutes after the injury before this.

Obviously all hindsight now but those missed FTs make a lot more sense given the minutes he played

Reaction Score
I don't know how long that game took, but I'd guess over 2.5hrs, which would mean more than 3 times deadball time as gametime. There were a zillion time outs. I watched live (normally do some DVR delay) and of course UConn's poor play made it excruciating, but that game took FOREVER. Plus it wasn't exactly played at a breakneck pace.

Reaction Score
To me he never fully got his legs back after the injury. You saw less of his acrobatics, a lot of his jump shots were short.

Small sample size, BUT...

Four full games pre-injury (included two cupcakes)...

.485 / .379 / .778

Post-elbow surgery...

.445 / .268 / .756

Also averaged two fewer FTA per game after the injury.

Reaction Score
I don't know how long that game took, but I'd guess over 2.5hrs, which would mean more than 3 times deadball time as gametime. There were a zillion time outs. I watched live (normally do some DVR delay) and of course UConn's poor play made it excruciating, but that game took FOREVER. Plus it wasn't exactly played at a breakneck pace.
Except the start of the second half. It was played way too fast. UConn needed to comeback, it wasn't, and the clock kept ticking away. The first foul and TV timeout didn't occur until the 12:38 mark. The next TV timeout was at 11:50. Bizarre. That was excruciating to watch. It was 47-34 at the 12:38 mark, the lead extended to 13 from 11 at the half.

That may have been a mistake Hurley made. Way too much time ticked off without a timeout and trying to adjust to what was happening.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
They played for 8 straight minutes without a stoppage to start the second half...

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
When you think about how our starting backcourt was

a. Coming back from concussion protocol and having broken his face open on the floor
b. Still coming back from having his arm cut open and sewn back shut and had his body turn into a raisin last week

maybe maybe it makes sense we “couldn’t get our offense going”

Reaction Score
If Bouk needed a breather, he could have simply point to coach to take him out. He doesn't want to as coach said earlier in the season. As coach alluded to, he needs to do better in conserving his energy. It's a part of maturing as a basketball player.

Reaction Score
If Bouk needed a breather, he could have simply point to coach to take him out. He doesn't want to as coach said earlier in the season. As coach alluded to, he needs to do better in conserving his energy. It's a part of maturing as a basketball player.
That was basically my point, Bouknight is going to fight his way through it because he's a warrior. I thought Hurley was doing a good job utilizing media timeouts to buy him longer breaks without losing too many minutes, for whatever reason it didn't happen against Maryland

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I would have sat him for 2 minutes in both halves not to get a breather, but to clear his head and coach him up as a reset.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I would’ve benched him after the first 2 minutes because he was forcing things from the get go.

Send him back out after first TV TO.

Reaction Score
What I noticed about minutes was that Maryland played 6 players, with the starters logging most of them
They got away with it because of our stagnant iso offense.

Reaction Score
NCAA tournament games have extra long tv timeouts right?

Reaction Score
They played for 8 straight minutes without a stoppage to start the second half...

He's 20yrs old, ya'll can't be saying "8* straight minutes" is some kind of taxing marathon requiring stamina.

MD individual and team defense deserves the majority of the credit. I'm ok with saying he missed free throws due to 50/50 mental pressure & tired, but that's about as far as I'd go in using that as an excuse. Most of his missed jumpers were in the first half.

*It was actually 7:22

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I would’ve benched him after the first 2 minutes because he was forcing things from the get go.

Send him back out after first TV TO.

I would have sat him for 2 minutes in both halves not to get a breather, but to clear his head and coach him up as a reset.
I also think you learn something about the other team by watching them from the sideline for a minute or two and seeing from a different perspective, especially on defense.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Kemba Walker averaged 38 minutes over 41 games, so JB playing 40 in one game is not superhuman.

With UConn barely hanging on for the entirety of the game, a few minutes with Bouknight on the bench would not have gone well.

Reaction Score
Kemba Walker averaged 38 minutes over 41 games, so JB playing 40 in one game is not superhuman.

With UConn barely hanging on for the entirety of the game, a few minutes with Bouknight on the bench would not have gone well.
Because they'd be missing his offense or his defense. I don't think a break would have affected the game much. It didn't go very well at all anyway.

Reaction Score

Top 100 ranking: 18

Bouknight's college career likely ended on a disappointing note, with two of his worst games of the season coming in UConn's losses in the Big East and NCAA tournaments against Creighton and Maryland. He was 10-for-30 from the field with three turnovers and seven assists in those two games. That's particularly discouraging considering Bouknight was limited to 15 games due to an injury and finished the season shooting 29% from beyond the arc while posting a 1.8 to 2.8 assist-to-turnover ratio.

Nevertheless, there's a lot to like about Bouknight's talent as a shot-creator. He handles the ball on a string and has real shot-making prowess from all over the floor. His body will likely continue to fill out, which should help him on the defensive end, where he struggles at the moment, as well as when taking contact around the basket.

Bucket-getters in the Jordan Clarkson mold are easy fits in today's NBA, making Bouknight a strong candidate to hear his name called somewhere in the 10-20 range, even if he'll need to have a strong pre-draft process after the uneven end to his season.

Reaction Score
To me he never fully got his legs back after the injury. You saw less of his acrobatics, a lot of his jump shots were short.

Small sample size, BUT...
Four full games pre-injury (included two cupcakes)...
.485 / .379 / .778
Post-elbow surgery...
.445 / .268 / .756
Also averaged two fewer FTA per game after the injury.

Let's look at his last three games, the cramp game and the two that followed.

14-41 from the field, 34%
1-13 from three, 7%
10-15 from the line, 67%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger