Bouknight/Gaffney | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Bouknight/Gaffney

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
That would be simply awesome. Things are looking up though! Mind you Rip came in as a 5* and McD's AA.

Ironically, Rip was not really on the radar with top programs when UConn first started pursuing him. He exploded nationally in the spring of his junior year and the following summer playing on the same AAU team with Kobe Bryant. I think Hamilton committed to UConn his junior year.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
He’s also nowhere close to being an athlete that just plays basketball.

You are right. Bouk is the best player in the country right now.

Not interested in arguing with you.

Reaction Score
You are right. Bouk is the best player in the country right now.

Not interested in arguing with you.
Nobody said Bouk was even close to being the best player in the country right now. It's so hard to even have a conversation about basketball with you on this board because of your satirical tone in the way you reply to people who respond to your takes.

Sid Wilson is arguably a better athlete than Bouk, albeit pretty close. But Bouk is a way better basketball player, so Sid is probably the better comparison for "being an athlete that just plays basketball."

Last edited:

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Next year's backcourt has the potential to be one of the best in the country. We add another ESPN100 big man, and we become an instant contender for Indianapolis. We are about to take a massive leap from what we've been seeing lately.

Our culture is changing before our eyes, and next year is when the Dan Hurley signing starts to pay its dividends to the University of Connecticut. Barring any unforeseen circumstances among our coaching staff or players, the days of UConn being the league punching bag are over. Not only are we back in the Big East next year, but we're back to being a T25 powerhouse which leads the nation in blocks, and has NBA caliper guards.
Please hamper expectations for next year. There's a chance we're great, but it's more likely to be another up and down year. I'm expecting the big jump to come after next year.

Reaction Score
Please hamper expectations for next year. There's a chance we're great, but it's more likely to be another up and down year. I'm expecting the big jump to come after next year.
Yeah definitely premature to be stating Indy bound, can we at least get an at large big first? I think it’s fair to expect improvement with our younger players and hopefully Bouk can really make a big jump, we’ll need it. Improvement across the board and new players coming in (still think another guy or two is brought in for next season), I think a goal of making the tournament is very fair.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Nelson is awful or wrong about 99% of things but pure basketball talk Nelson knows what he's talking about. Bouk is just an athlete that who can play basketball right now. He is just starting to figure out how to get his shot, look at the games before this run he's been on he had no idea where to stand on the court and a lot of his buckets were off offensive rebounds or transition. If Bouk was a high basketball IQ guy he wouldn't be coming back next year because he'd go to one NBA showcase and scouts would tell him that he is going in the first round.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Nobody said Bouk was even close to being the best player in the country right now. It's so hard to even have a conversation about basketball with you on this board because of your satirical tone in the way you reply to people who respond to your takes.

Sid Wilson is arguably a better athlete than Bouk, albeit pretty close. But Bouk is a way better basketball player, so Sid is probably the better comparison for "being an athelte that just plays basketball."

No Sid has no idea how to play basketball he just is athletic.

Reaction Score
Bouknight is the truth. Gaffney can shoot & pass, but man his handle is a big problem for me. Its so shaky. Hope he gets in the gym and tightens that up.
... I 2nd that...

Reaction Score
I like the idea of doing some dammage this year. We have been waiting for next year for so long. What kind of mind set do you all have. I guess you all are ok with settling for the same kind of crap we have been getting for going on 4 years.
Bouk Gaff BA and AA aren't here to be loosers. Let give CV a going away present he deserves. NCAA or bust. Run the table now.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Sid Wilson is arguably a better athlete than Bouk, albeit pretty close. But Bouk is a way better basketball player, so Sid is probably the better comparison for "being an athlete that just plays basketball."

I may have overreacted there.

Bouk doesn't know Hurley's system at all, and I would argue he is behind all the guys currently getting playing time in that regard. Maybe Sid has less of an idea about what he is supposed to be doing on the court.

But Bouk has tremendous feel for the game. He chews players up in one-on-one situations. I wouldn't call that skill so much as "game". He just has game. The whole of his game is greater than the sum of his parts. He is also just athletically superior to most of the competition at this level. He is not necessarily dominating them, but he is a little better.

That is enough to make it fun to watch and get us to some close losses this year. Winning in the Big East will be a different story. A lot of the players in the Big East have "game".

Reaction Score
Nah, next year is our year. This team was built for 2020-2021.

Reaction Score

Sid Wilson is arguably a better athlete than Bouk, albeit pretty close. But Bouk is a way better basketball player, so Sid is probably the better comparison for "being an athelte that just plays basketball."
Nelson must be watching a diffent Bouknight.
I may debate you over Sid being a better athlete though. Just juding what I see on the court (because I haven't seen either tested in other athletic skills) James does everything better than Sid except maybe jump but even there they are comparable.
I may have overreacted there.

Bouk doesn't know Hurley's system at all, and I would argue he is behind all the guys currently getting playing time in that regard. Maybe Sid has less of an idea about what he is supposed to be doing on the court.

But Bouk has tremendous feel for the game. He chews players up in one-on-one situations. I wouldn't call that skill so much as "game". He just has game. The whole of his game is greater than the sum of his parts. He is also just athletically superior to most of the competition at this level. He is not necessarily dominating them, but he is a little better.

That is enough to make it fun to watch and get us to some close losses this year. Winning in the Big East will be a different story. A lot of the players in the Big East have "game".
What are you talking about? James has been on a tear. I think he knows what he's doing. He certainly doesn't look lost.

Reaction Score

Next year is THE year. Top 3 Big East finish, 5-6 seed at worst.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Gaffney is the smartest player on the team as a freshman. He’s going to be an unbelievably good upper classman. I see him as the team’s QB, the extension of Hurley on the court for the 4 years.

Reaction Score
Gaffney is the smartest player on the team as a freshman. He’s going to be an unbelievably good upper classman. I see him as the team’s QB, the extension of Hurley on the court for the 4 years.
Him and RJ Cole are extremely intelligent both on and off the court. Both of them are known to get very high grades and it definitely translates to what they do on the court. For that reason alone we are going to be tough to beat next year. Add Bouk and AJ’s skill and Athleticism to the equation and oh boy

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Him and RJ Cole are extremely intelligent both on and off the court. Both of them are known to get very high grades and it definitely translates to what they do on the court. For that reason alone we are going to be tough to beat next year. Add Bouk and AJ’s skill and Athleticism to the equation and oh boy
I forsee us playing a lot of 4 guard because AJ is long and athletic enough to guard most 4s. I’m also getting the sense we’ll need to watch the wear on Akok.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I may debate you over Sid being a better athlete though. Just juding what I see on the court (because I haven't seen either tested in other athletic skills) James does everything better than Sid except maybe jump but even there they are comparable.

What are you talking about? James has been on a tear. I think he knows what he's doing. He certainly doesn't look lost.

You either say or imply that I said almost exactly the opposite of what I actually said, then attack me for it. Stop it.

Reaction Score

And THAT is a huge part of what we have been missing.

Reaction Score

Bouknight is the best freshman basketball player in a UConn uniform in a long time. He can hit the three, mid range jumper, rebound well and get putbacks, take his man off the dribble, dunk in traffic, etc. He is the epitome of a basketball player on the offensive end, especially for a college freshman. Anyone who thinks otherwise simply doesn't get it.

Reaction Score

RJ went to Howard. School is no joke academically.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Sid is Marcus Johnson 2.0. The thing is, neither guy was horrible, they just fell short of what we expected. Both were okay as 9-10 guys off the bench, but didn't have the skillset to be stars. Their athleticism is what got them to a big D1 program, but they both inevitably became victims of their own hype.

MJ went on to have a respectable, if unexceptional, career at USC and then had stints in the d-league (it was still called that at the time) and played quite well for several European teams. I don't think Sid Wilson will ever sniff the nba either, but he is a talented enough basketball player to be a valuable asset off the bench in college and will in all likelihood make a fine living playing overseas.

Reaction Score
Eh, it's O.K. Not sure where you get that impression. UConn is much better in almost every way.

I'm talking more about historical black colleges and unis. You're right though

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom