Bouknight/Gaffney | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Bouknight/Gaffney

Reaction Score
Back court rotation has never been the main issue this season. If we simply had a pair of starting forwards that averaged more than a combined 14.3/12.1/1.3 on less than 50% shooting...the close games UConn could have won...easy tournament team.

Instead, each of the pair are outside the Division 1 top 500 players for scoring and top 250 players for rebounding.
Huh? I agree that we need more from our forwards, but Gilbert is averaging fewer than 2 assists per turnover, and is shooting under 35% from both the field and 3P. Vital does a ton, but his shooting is down too. Bouk and Gaffney are improving and I'm excited about their future, but there are more holes on this year's team than the forward position.

The fact that changes have been made in the backcourt rotation is evidence alone that the coach disagrees with your take.

Reaction Score
Improving our offense is great but need to keep a strong defensive presence. As seen with many former UConn teams great d can negate great o anyday.

Thankfully, it seems like our current coaching staff prides itself on having UConn be a consistently tough defensive team. I doubt Hurley & Co. are going to abandon playing tough D as we bring in better offensive talents. We've seen many times this year how our strong defensive presence has kept us in games we have no business being in due to our overall offensive ineptitude.

Over the next days, I'm sure there will be some very uncomfortable-to-watch video breakdown sessions that the team will participate in showing how/where things went awry last night

Reaction Score
When you say sophomore slumps, do you mean the entire year or just part of the year? I remember Caron went through a slump in the middle of his sophomore season. I don't remember how long it lasted. Probably not too long. Then he turned it on down the stretch like not too many other players we've had.
Just part of the year. Caron did but it didn't last too long. Some other last longer. I remember Kemba went through a pretty long stint.

Reaction Score
Except both are improving a ton and I would say are at least “decent” at this point. They aren't terrible defenders anymore. They were at one point, but aren't anymore. Watch the tape.

Davis had like 2 pts last night then Gaffney got that bogus t and then he had 10 by halftime. He had at least 2 and ones on gilbert (none on Gaffney) and another step back 3 that i can think of off the top of my head. So he scored most of his points on the guy you ironically claim is a lock down defender.

Davis barely scored on Gaffney at all last night. Bouk (And gaff) have had a bunch of steals the last few games. Bouk also stayed in front of his man all night while blocking his path and not fouling.

Your take was correct 10 games ago, but its not anymore. Players can improve, and your perception of them can change with it.

The most important part of Bouk's D, for now, is that he stay on the floor. He's doing that. And he does get steals. Do I see much improvement in his man to man defending though? I don't. If you do good for you.

Gilbert had a horrific time on Davis last night. But I don't think Gaffney did much on him either -- he just stayed back a step and let him do whatever he wanted short of getting to the rim, while Gilbert thought he could play him tight and was wrong.

That's what I'm seeing. Doesn't make you necessarily wrong

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
, and has NBA caliper guards.
I won't press the brakes on that kind of thinking. Speaking of brakes and being old, remember the Raybestos Brakettes? Truly a Connecticut institution. Who was the star pitcher in the late 70's and early 80's? My apologies for any thread derailment.

Reaction Score
Ben was frustrating all the way up to the end of his junior year when Okafor was hurt for the BET Tournament. Calhoun was pretty vocal about it and there was a legitimate question as to whether he'd bring it every night.
Not much of a sophomore slump...
Screenshot_20200213-150721_Chrome.jpg

Reaction Score
I won't press the brakes on that kind of thinking. Speaking of brakes and being old, remember the Raybestos Brakettes? Truly a Connecticut institution. Who was the star pitcher in the late 70's and early 80's? My apologies for any thread derailment.
Joan Joyce from Waterbury. Probably the greatest female athlete ever and most people have never heard of her.

Reaction Score
The most important part of Bouk's D, for now, is that he stay on the floor. He's doing that. And he does get steals. Do I see much improvement in his man to man defending though? I don't. If you do good for you.

Gilbert had a horrific time on Davis last night. But I don't think Gaffney did much on him either -- he just stayed back a step and let him do whatever he wanted short of getting to the rim, while Gilbert thought he could play him tight and was wrong.

That's what I'm seeing. Doesn't make you necessarily wrong

Yeah, thats a much more moderate take, and one i agree with mostly. But what you just said is vastly different from you initial take, which is what I was replying to.

I agree with Bouk its most important to stay on the floor, which hea gotten much better at. But I also think his on ball and rotations have improved a ton. Hes gotten much better at staying on front of his man and closing out on 3s/ rotations.

I also thibk Gaffney did really well in Davis. All in all they have a ways to go, but have improved 10 fold in the last 10 games or so.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
@superjohn, you da man. I used to love when the Brakettes came to my hometown and the King and his court and the Queen and her court.

Reaction Score
auto correct doesn't think we have NBA Caliber talent apparently

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Speaking of brakes and being old, remember the Raybestos Brakettes? Truly a Connecticut institution. Who was the star pitcher in the late 70's and early 80's? My apologies for any thread derailment.
Joan Joyce

Reaction Score
Joan Joyce
"She struck out 5,677 batters, hurled 105 no-hitters and 33 perfect games. She surrendered only 102 runs in 476 games for an ERA of 0.21."

!!!

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
'Bertha pitched 757 career wins, with only 88 losses. She threw 42 perfect games and 162 no hitters. She was an 18 time All American, and eight time National Championship MVP. She owns eleven National Championship titles, four with Orange and seven with Raybestos. She threw a record three perfect games in national tourney play; one in 1950 (her first national title), another in 1954, and again in 1968 (her last title, and final game).'
'On August 15, 1962, she struck out baseball’s batting king, Ted Williams, twice, during a pregame exhibition.'
'Bertha retired from competition in 1968, at age 46, after pitching her final game in the National Championship Tournament in front of her entire family. She struck out 20 of 21 batters in that regulation seven inning game, a record that still stands today'

Reaction Score
I'm still bearish on next year. Bouk and Gaffney are great building blocks but they're still freshman. I'm expecting a sophomore slump next year for these guys. Hopefully not a prolonged one. That is the time when the juniors and seniors start to raise their level of play and provide some leadership. Caron is one of the few that come to mind that didn't go through a sophomore slump.

I'd also temper my expectations for Jackson as well. He's going to have his up and downs next year.
Rip Hamilton! Sophomore year led team to elite eight with a final second put back against Washington. Lost to NC in Greensboro. Next year won first championship in St. Pete.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
Rip Hamilton! Sophomore year led team to elite eight with a final second put back against Washington. Lost to NC in Greensboro. Next year won first championship in St. Pete.
Wasn’t Rip an AA as a sophomore?

The Bouk Club would certainly settle for that kind of slump from Bouk next year.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think Gaffney is ready to play a bigger role right now. I defended Gilbert earlier in the year, but Gaffney and Adams are both showing significant improvement and Gilbert brings a lot of bad with his good. Gilbert takes bad shots and is just an OK defender, but most importantly, he burns the shot clock down. Gaffney spaces the court better and keeps the ball moving. I don't think he is any better than Gilbert defensively right now, but he is probably not worse either.

Bouk is fun to watch one on one, but he makes a lot of mistakes on both ends. He is superior enough athletically to the AAC opponents that he looks like a major plus player on the court, but the competition is going to be a lot better next season. Bouk has to become a basketball player instead of just an athlete that plays basketball. I think he will do it, but there will be some bumps in the road along the way.

Reaction Score
I think Gaffney is ready to play a bigger role right now. I defended Gilbert earlier in the year, but Gaffney and Adams are both showing significant improvement and Gilbert brings a lot of bad with his good. Gilbert takes bad shots and is just an OK defender, but most importantly, he burns the shot clock down. Gaffney spaces the court better and keeps the ball moving. I don't think he is any better than Gilbert defensively right now, but he is probably not worse either.

Bouk is fun to watch one on one, but he makes a lot of mistakes on both ends. He is superior enough athletically to the AAC opponents that he looks like a major plus player on the court, but the competition is going to be a lot better next season. Bouk has to become a basketball player instead of just an athlete that plays basketball. I think he will do it, but there will be some bumps in the road along the way.

There are a number of recent players who you could criticize as being "an athlete that plays basketball", but Bouknight is not one of them. He is immensely skilled and has good basketball instincts.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score

What are you even talking about he has the most basketball skill on our team. Has a good handle and moves well without the ball, and can finish in traffic. This post makes it seem like you know nothing about basketball.

Reaction Score
What are you even talking about he has the most basketball skill on our team. Has a good handle and moves well without the ball, and can finish in traffic. This post makes it seem like you know nothing about basketball.

Seem? Confirmed. Chief endorsed.

Reaction Score
That would be simply awesome. Things are looking up though! Mind you Rip came in as a 5* and McD's AA.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

He can't run a pick and roll. He burns the shot clock down a lot, and a lot of times he seems to be in the wrong spot on the floor. The defensive issues have been discussed already by others.

Bouk is a freshman and has a lot to learn. He is nowhere near being an NBA player, and putting up big numbers against NIT bubble teams is a little different than putting those numbers up in the Big East next season when defenses are keying on him.

Reaction Score
He can't run a pick and roll. He burns the shot clock down a lot, and a lot of times he seems to be in the wrong spot on the floor. The defensive issues have been discussed already by others.

Bouk is a freshman and has a lot to learn. He is nowhere near being an NBA player, and putting up big numbers against NIT bubble teams is a little different than putting those numbers up in the Big East next season when defenses are keying on him.
He’s also nowhere close to being an athlete that just plays basketball.

Reaction Score

You have a lot of interesting opinions

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom