Bouknight/Gaffney | The Boneyard

Bouknight/Gaffney

Reaction Score
These 2 next year will be Batman and Robin. Throw in the wildcard Cole and we got the joker. Seriously though these 2 remind me of Bazz and Boat. Their defense isn’t quite there yet but they compliment eachother nicely. Bouk can score at will. Gaffney has a really nice shot and is starting to gain confidence. The future is bright for us. It’s kinda exciting for once. Yes losing is frustrating but watching those 2 draining shots last night reminded me that we are getting closer and that UConn will be back for sure.

Reaction Score
These 2 next year will be Batman and Robin. Throw in the wildcard Cole and we got the joker. Seriously though these 2 remind me of Bazz and Boat. Their defense isn’t quite there yet but they compliment eachother nicely. Bouk can score at will. Gaffney has a really nice shot and is starting to gain confidence. The future is bright for us. It’s kinda exciting for once. Yes losing is frustrating but watching those 2 draining shots last night reminded me that we are getting closer and that UConn will be back for sure.
Don't forget Andre Jackson and an improved junior B. Adams.

Reaction Score
Next year's backcourt has the potential to be one of the best in the country. We add another ESPN100 big man, and we become an instant contender for Indianapolis. We are about to take a massive leap from what we've been seeing lately.

Our culture is changing before our eyes, and next year is when the Dan Hurley signing starts to pay its dividends to the University of Connecticut. Barring any unforeseen circumstances among our coaching staff or players, the days of UConn being the league punching bag are over. Not only are we back in the Big East next year, but we're back to being a T25 powerhouse which leads the nation in blocks, and has NBA caliper guards.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Next year's backcourt has the potential to be one of the best in the country. We add another ESPN100 big man, and we become an instant contender for Indianapolis. We are about to take a massive leap from what we've been seeing lately.

Our culture is changing before our eyes, and next year is when the Dan Hurley signing starts to pay its dividends to the University of Connecticut.

You won't find a bigger Bouknight fan than me, but even I am hesitant to go as far as to say one of the best backcourts in the country next season. That said, a backcourt of Cole, Bouk, Gaffney and Adams should be pretty good at a minimum, and could be very good.

I do agree with you that next season is when we are likely to make the leap to being ranked and making the NCAA tourney. Just cutting the # of bonehead plays in half would result in a handful more wins.

Next year we should have a full roster with Bouk and Jackson on the wings. I hope Hurley can find a way to use that depth and uptempo things so that guys like Bouk, Jackson and even Sid can shine in a full court game. Exciting to think about for sure.

Reaction Score
I like that they have real chemistry on the court too. Feels like the play where Gaffney lobs to Bouknight is the only lob play that we are able to consistently complete.

Reaction Score
Watching Gaffney and Bouknight play more and more minutes together I am beginning to see how good these two will be next year as sophomores. Gaffney has a very nice shooting stroke and is playing with more confidence game by game; that full court 5 second drive was excellent. Bouknight very quickly is already pouring in 20 points a game. That's impressive! This first real recruiting class of Hurley's including Akok and Springs, is just loaded with talent, and next year we will be serious contenders.

Reaction Score
Bouknight is the truth. Gaffney can shoot & pass, but man his handle is a big problem for me. Its so shaky. Hope he gets in the gym and tightens that up.
Yeah, he’s not able to really square up defenders and give them that like “wiggle” yet you’re looking for. But he’s so young, just think that’ll come with time. Once he adds strength and matures into his body, I think he’ll be fine. That layup towards the end of the game showed me he has some explosiveness, I wanna see more of it. But I’m with everyone tho, seems like these kids will have nice leaps into next year. Much less concerned about the backcourt than I was a month or two ago. Now more focused on finding an immediate impact big man for next season.

Reaction Score
Look, I think Bouk is going to be a great college player, and I hope Gaffney will be as well, but that has to be the understatement of all time.

Except both are improving a ton and I would say are at least “decent” at this point. They aren't terrible defenders anymore. They were at one point, but aren't anymore. Watch the tape.

Davis had like 2 pts last night then Gaffney got that bogus t and then he had 10 by halftime. He had at least 2 and ones on gilbert (none on Gaffney) and another step back 3 that i can think of off the top of my head. So he scored most of his points on the guy you ironically claim is a lock down defender.

Davis barely scored on Gaffney at all last night. Bouk (And gaff) have had a bunch of steals the last few games. Bouk also stayed in front of his man all night while blocking his path and not fouling.

Your take was correct 10 games ago, but its not anymore. Players can improve, and your perception of them can change with it.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Improving our offense is great but need to keep a strong defensive presence. As seen with many former UConn teams great d can negate great o anyday.

I agree, but I was encouraged by what I saw from Gaffney last night. I thought he did a better job defending Davis than Gilbert. His length allowed him to play off Davis a bit more which made it tougher for Davis to drive past him.

Reaction Score
Wathcing videos of Cole, he shows a much superior handle to Gaff. So my guess is that Gaffney will be behind Cole next year. Gaff will get plenty of time as back up PG and also play beside Cole with Bouk/Adams in three guard line ups.

But until we see them all on the court, it's just specualtion.

Reaction Score
I'm still bearish on next year. Bouk and Gaffney are great building blocks but they're still freshman. I'm expecting a sophomore slump next year for these guys. Hopefully not a prolonged one. That is the time when the juniors and seniors start to raise their level of play and provide some leadership. Caron is one of the few that come to mind that didn't go through a sophomore slump.

I'd also temper my expectations for Jackson as well. He's going to have his up and downs next year.

Reaction Score
I'm still bearish on next year. Bouk and Gaffney are great building blocks but they're still freshman. I'm expecting a sophomore slump next year for these guys. Hopefully not a prolonged one. That is the time when the juniors and seniors start to raise their level of play and provide some leadership. Caron is one of the few that come to mind that didn't go through a sophomore slump.

I'd also temper my expectations for Jackson as well. He's going to have his up and downs next year.
What a strange post. None of our great shooting guards/swing players had sophomore slumps.

Reaction Score
Caron is one of the few that come to mind that didn't go through a sophomore slump.
When you say sophomore slumps, do you mean the entire year or just part of the year? I remember Caron went through a slump in the middle of his sophomore season. I don't remember how long it lasted. Probably not too long. Then he turned it on down the stretch like not too many other players we've had.

Last edited:

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

Our culture is changing before our eyes, and next year is when the Dan Hurley signing starts to pay its dividends to the University of Connecticut. Barring any unforeseen circumstances among our coaching staff or players, the days of UConn being the league punching bag are over. Not only are we back in the Big East next year, but we're back to being a T25 powerhouse which leads the nation in blocks, and has NBA caliper guards.
Let’s finish in the top 5 and get an at large bid first

Reaction Score
Back court rotation has never been the main issue this season. If we simply had a pair of starting forwards that averaged more than a combined 14.3/12.1/1.3 on less than 50% shooting...the close games UConn could have won...easy tournament team.

Instead, each of the pair are outside the Division 1 top 500 players for scoring and top 250 players for rebounding.

Reaction Score
Seriously. Didn't Rip win BE POY as a sophomore?
Yep and Ben averaged around 20 ppg, Ray was first team All-Big East and one of the few best players in the country by the end of the year, same with Caron. Rudy was second team All-American, Lamb was first team All-Big East.

Reaction Score
Yep and Ben averaged around 20 ppg, Ray was first team All-Big East and one of the few best players in the country by the end of the year, same with Caron. Rudy was second team All-American, Lamb was first team All-Big East.

Ben was frustrating all the way up to the end of his junior year when Okafor was hurt for the BET Tournament. Calhoun was pretty vocal about it and there was a legitimate question as to whether he'd bring it every night.

Reaction Score
Even Rashad, while not on the level of these guys mentioned, lit up Bama in the sweet 16 and shot a massive dagger through the heart of Duke in the final 4 during his soph year. He was so hot against Bama he was blowing on his fingers and Mark Gottfried's face looked like he ate a rancid seafood salad sandwich on the sidelines.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom