Bouk needs another year in college | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Bouk needs another year in college

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
No I'm just looking for a silver lining. I stated his contributions to UConn, not his legacy (which there is none).

You're looking for the silver lining. I called him fool's gold. A distinction without a difference.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
For the 500th time, Bouk is ready for the NBA, will be a lottery pick, and will be a very good pro.

He is not going to face entire gameplans designed on stopping him, he's not going to have 10 eyes on him and three bodies every time he tries to penetrate. He's not going to have a clogged lane all night long because he's surrounded by non-shooters. In space, the kid is electric. He's going to be in space all the time in the NBA, that's how the game is played at that level on a nightly basis.

Anyone who thinks this kid needs another year doesn't follow the NBA or simply doesn't know what they're talking about. You can have your criticisms of Bouk, but on no planet should he return for another season.

If he's going to become an impact NBA player, yes he will.

It's almost like you're suggesting he'll be a non-entity in the NBA and that's a good thing. In the NBA coaches do game plan to stop top level talent and part of that game planning involves using double teams, hedges and other techniques to slow down better players.

Reaction Score
You're looking for the silver lining. I called him fool's gold. A distinction without a difference.
Fools gold is worthless. Please maybe go for a walk or try and sleep on this.

If you feel this way tomorrow then fine. This is not like your post history.

Reaction Score
For the 500th time, Bouk is ready for the NBA, will be a lottery pick, and will be a very good pro.

He is not going to face entire gameplans designed on stopping him, he's not going to have 10 eyes on him and three bodies every time he tries to penetrate. He's not going to have a clogged lane all night long because he's surrounded by non-shooters. In space, the kid is electric. He's going to be in space all the time in the NBA, that's how the game is played at that level on a nightly basis.

Anyone who thinks this kid needs another year doesn't follow the NBA or simply doesn't know what they're talking about. You can have your criticisms of Bouk, but on no planet should he return for another season.

He is going to get absolutely destroyed on defense in the NBA as his game stands right now.

Reaction Score
Show me any mock draft that has Bouk out of the lottery.
#15. for the record i never said if he's a lottery lock he shouldnt go. i said if he's mid-late first i.e. 15-30 he could improve on his draft stock by becoming BE player of the year and an all american. he will still be oozing potential if he does that. we'll have to wait and see where the mocks have him in a month. he didnt do himself any favors in either tourney and some guys still in the tourney have an opportunity to jump him

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If he's going to become an impact NBA player, yes he will.

It's almost like you're suggesting he'll be a non-entity in the NBA and that's a good thing. In the NBA coaches do game plan to stop top level talent and part of that game planning involves using double teams, hedges and other techniques to slow down better players.

No, he won't because that's not how it works in the NBA. You can't commit to stopping one player in the NBA like that, the game is designed precisely to prevent that. Top players hardly ever get stopped, all you're really doing is picking your poison. It helps that NBA players are surrounded by other pros and not a slew of guys who are mid-major talents or freshman.

This isn't a controversial thing. Luka has talked about how it's easier to score in the NBA due to the style and the rules. Other players and coaches agreed.

A non-entity? No, but there's a strong chance he's never the best player on his team, even of he's a 20 ppg scorer. If that's the case Bouk doesn't have much to worry about in terms of special game planning.

Watch the tape from the Creighton game and tonight. Both teams clogged the hell out of the paint and sent extra help early because they don't have to worry about the rest of our players. It's harsh, but our team was that offensively challenged. Bouk had no room to do anything because this team is devoid of shooters and often plays two traditional/interior big men. As the opposing coach, all you want to do is make anyone besides Bouk beat you. That is never going to be the case in the NBA, teams can't make those type of extreme strategic decisions because the supporting cast is a bunch of pros, not a bunch of future accountants or teachers. It's easy to force RJ Cole or Tyrese Martin to beat you, you'll take your chances there. Coaches don't have that luxury with NBA players because the talent disparity is nowhere near as great.

Bouk is best in space. He's electric in space. Our offensive basically did everything it could to not give him opportunities in space. Meanwhile, the entire NBA is spread out. If teams try what Creighton or Maryland did Bouk will have an easy pass to professional shooter camped in the corner or on the wing. More accurately with how teams actually defend in the NBA, they'll stick to shooters and Bouk will have room to work his magic against a single defender in the paint.

Reaction Score
He's not raw. He's a great mid-range scorer, has a hesitation/change of pace game, is an amazing finisher in traffic.

So many of our fans don't realize just how much our poor offense and spacing hurt Bouk. He had no room to do anything many nights.

Again, I've mentioned LaMelo Ball several times. Kid shot like 32% in Australia and people were concerned about him in the NBA. It's no secret that it's easier to score in the NBA. The floor is spaced, everyone can shoot. LaMelo looks like a future All-Star as a rookie. Bouk will also look so much better when he's surrounded by pro talent, has a spaced floor and room to do his thing.
It is not easier to score in the NBA even though there is of course a heck of a lot more scoring. The defense is better, the scorers are better, the game is way faster, players are bigger-stronger-faster-more skilled, etc...
What would you guess Book would average for UConn next year if he returned? (I'd say 23ish)
What will you guess he'll average in the NBA where it is 'easier to score? (I'll guess 6-12)

I'd bet Bouk is at least 3yrs away from having even a chance to average 19 a game in the NBA. That's probably the mean timeline for increasing NBA vs college averages for most stars and plenty of college scorers end up being role players, 4th-9th options in the NBA. And even among stars, RIP Hamilton NEVER averaged more in the NBA than he did at UConn. It took Ray Allen NINE years to surpass his UConn scoring average in the NBA, Kemba EIGHT, Caron SIX, Cliff FIVE. These are the all-timers, most never approached (Burrell, Emeka, Ben Gordon, Donyell). Rudy Gay is the lone UConn guy who immediately put up better #s in the NBA, charitably his UConn career gets mixed reviews.

We all know/assume Bouk is going to the NBA and he should be fine.
But its certainly debatable that another year getting stronger and dominating & winning in college (learning to deal with teams doubling him on 2nd dribble, NBA teams do this too!). Understanding its purely hypothetical, another year in college could do better or as well as the NBA for his long term basketball ceiling. Right now its tough to see him as a potential all-star, but who knows.

Reaction Score
I think two years and out was always the plan and Bouk's talent totally supports that.

I do wonder - if he had actually packed it in after the elbow injury - how much better his draft prospects might be today? I am SO glad he came back to the team and lead them to the tournament. But I do think it might have cost him a bit on the draft board, which is a real shame.

BEST OF LUCK JAMES IN YOUR NBA FUTURE!!

Reaction Score
It is not easier to score in the NBA even though there is of course a heck of a lot more scoring. The defense is better, the scorers are better, the game is way faster, players are bigger-stronger-fast

I'll take Luka's, Draymond Green's, and Popovich's stance on the matter. You have far better teammates, defenders can't touch you, you play at a faster pace, the floor is more spread, you can travel at will, illegal screens are called once in a blue moon, etc.

Why are you worried about how many points Bouk would score in the NBA next year vs college? Weird thing to care about.

He obviously still has some development to do but he's not a project. I'm not saying he's going to set the league on fire as a rookie but there are always guys who are built for the NBA's style and Bouk is one of them. He's going from a college team with a poor supporting cast, poor shooting, poor spacing, and who played at a glacial pace. Playing at UConn is the exact opposite of what he'll experience in the NBA.

Reaction Score
In terms of UConn legacy, Bouk gets an incomplete from me due to COVID and injuries. His greatest impact for UConn will be what he does at the next level.

Reaction Score
I'll take Luka's, Draymond Green's, and Popovich's stance on the matter. You have far better teammates, defenders can't touch you, you play at a faster pace, the floor is more spread, you can travel at will, illegal screens are called once in a blue moon, etc.

Why are you worried about how many points Bouk would score in the NBA next year vs college? Weird thing to care about.

He obviously still has some development to do but he's not a project. I'm not saying he's going to set the league on fire as a rookie but there are always guys who are built for the NBA's style and Bouk is one of them. He's going from a college team with a poor supporting cast, poor shooting, poor spacing, and who played at a glacial pace. Playing at UConn is the exact opposite of what he'll experience in the NBA.
I dunno You said it’s easier to score? One would think that means more points. Tell me what else easier to score means or how specifically it translates for James Bouknight. Does he start? Will he shoot a higher %, better assists-to-TO, what?

Yes Guys that excel in the nba like the NBA game. Have you ever Listened to an nba player talk about how hard it is vs college (Jj Redick pod has enlightening interviews with lots of Older & rookie players)? It is easy to cherry-pick what the most successful ones say. But no more relevant than if I quote guys that failed and of course there are more of those.

Reaction Score
Yes, it is on a case-by-case basis. Some struggle, some find it easier. That's how guys like Donovan Mitchell fall to the end of the lottery. I think Bouk is going to fall into the category of finding it easier.

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
Bouk needs the NBA, they will make a player out of him

No he doesn’t. He needs another year of college. I don’t give a duck what anyone says.

Reaction Score
not gonna happen anyway but it don’t think it will help next years team.

the drummond effect

Reaction Score
Yes, it is on a case-by-case basis. Some struggle, some find it easier. That's how guys like Donovan Mitchell fall to the end of the lottery. I think Bouk is going to fall into the category of finding it easier.
So it is not easier to score by any measure. But it happens, much less often than not, but sometimes.
Yes Donovan Mitchell is an NBA star. You are right, its a case-by-case basis (what is not?). We are debating Bouknight's case and whether dominating and winning basketball games in college might help him do that in the NBA.
From Mitchell's draft year & range for him and Bouk, college players not translating as well to pros outnumber, Josh Jackson, Luke K, Dennis Smith JR (arguably Bouk comp), Zach Collins, Malik Monk (comp), Justin Jackson (comp) etc... And I see your Pop and raise that John Beilen found the NBA harder than college.
So I guess my point is that its harder, its unknown and that more success at the NCAA level could (in theory only as he's going pro) raise the long-term ceiling for Bouknight.
It is only theoretical, and I'll of course be rooting for him to get drafted to the right spot, work hard, get stronger and have a great NBA career.

Reaction Score
Bouk will gain nothing by staying . He is going to make serious money next season ,Staying would mean another year of playing for free

Reaction Score
I don't see how Bouknight coming back to play for UConn for another season--again with poor spacing, a slow pace, etc--does him any favors, even if he has a great season. Money aside, next year he'll experience the NBA game, learn the NBA game, get better coaching, training, etc. Why stay in college and waste another year playing a completely foreign and frankly useless style of basketball? It proves nothing to NBA teams.

DSJ as a Bouk comp? They are wildly different players. Monk shot a million threes. DSJ is the only one in that group with plus-athleticism like Bouk and none of those guys had his ability to finish. It's an amusing list, because I hated just about everyone one of those prospects (especially Josh Jackson and DSJ). Bouk has shown me more in college than those guys ever did.

Beilein is the last guy in the world who should have test the NBA. Dude is the epitome of a college coach if one ever walked the earth. His biggest problem was managing his own players.

Reaction Score
Lets play a hypothetical. If Bouk drops out of the top 15 in the draft, should he come back for a season? Not saying he will or he won't, just wondering what the thought process would be if he did.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom