Bottom Line Synthesis from Neinas | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Bottom Line Synthesis from Neinas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Who says the Big East is a tough league? Not that the WAC is better than the BE- it isn't. But the Big East isn't exactly the AFC North.

Come on! Have you looked at the WAC for heaven's sake.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Come on! Have you looked at the WAC for heaven's sake.

Dude, I just finished saying the WAC isn't better than the Big East.

I'm simply making the statement that I don't consider the Big East to be a tough football league. That's not to say anything about the relative strength of the WAC. I did, however, throw you a bone and agreed that the WAC isn't better than the Big East, which I didn't even have to do to make a point about the Big East.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Who says the Big East is a tough league? Not that the WAC is better than the BE- it isn't. But the Big East isn't exactly the AFC North.
And it was sub par last year. The be is closer to the WAC than it is to the sec. Does anyone have any doubt that Arkansas or UGA would win the BE this year? They'd probably be undefeated.

Reaction Score
Dude, I just finished saying the WAC isn't better than the Big East.

I'm simply making the statement that I don't consider the Big East to be a tough football league. That's not to say anything about the relative strength of the WAC. I did, however, throw you a bone and agreed that the WAC isn't better than the Big East, which I didn't even have to do to make a point about the Big East.

The point is, UConn could go through the WAC and lose one game max.

Reaction Score
And it was sub par last year. The be is closer to the WAC than it is to the sec. Does anyone have any doubt that Arkansas or UGA would win the BE this year? They'd probably be undefeated.

The Big10 is closer to the WAC than it is the SEC.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
TCU/Boise wad on Versus. Interesting to see those ratings tomorrow

Reaction Score
TCU/Boise wad on Versus. Interesting to see those ratings tomorrow

i'd rather the BE sign with versus than ESPN to be honest with you. are they part of comcast/nbc? either way i'd rather be on versus where they'll put our games on good times and promote them than be on ESPN. BE teams will never get marquee billing as long as we're just ESPN's filler in case their BigTen, ACC and SEC games really stink. let's go to a network where we're the priority. i think it'd be worth taking a couple million less per year per team. in the mean time our bball would help them establish themselves as a college sports network. the big east needs a strategic partner more than just a viewing outlet for games.

Reaction Score
I do think our performance as a team and a fan base at the Fiesta Bowl hurt us more in potential realignment than that fat ass Defilippo. Our inability to sell tickets was widely reported everywhere. And a lot of that falls in Hathaway's lap for failing to subsidize students, etc.

I hate this urban legend that "UConn didn't sell tickets". I was there. There were easily 10,000-plus UConn people in Glendale. The fact the place was almost sold out (67,000-plus) was a miracle. It didn't take long for UConn people to figure out tickets/hotels could be had much more cheaply than what the BCS system wanted people to pay. We all got a first-hand lesson on how corrupt this system is. Memory of the yellow-jacketed "bowl committee" on the field - some of whom have been charged with illegal campaign contributions, etc. - still makes me sick.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I hate this urban legend that "UConn didn't sell tickets". I was there. There were easily 10,000-plus UConn people in Glendale. The fact the place was almost sold out (67,000-plus) was a miracle. It didn't take long for UConn people to figure out tickets/hotels could be had much more cheaply than what the BCS system wanted people to pay. We all got a first-hand lesson on how corrupt this system is. Memory of the yellow-jacketed "bowl committee" on the field - some of whom have been charged with illegal campaign contributions, etc. - still makes me sick.
Everybody here may know that UConn had some fans there, but the media has portrayed it as a joke we were there and that we took a bath on the ticket sales through the school.

RS9999X

Reaction Score
i'd rather the BE sign with versus than ESPN to be honest with you. are they part of comcast/nbc? .

Versus is being rebranded in January as the NBC Sports Network.

They have NHL Hockey, Major League Soccer, Indy Car Series, Mountain West Football, Notre Dame reruns and ND classic games, Tour de France, D-League, and various fight shows.

BE basketball would be a coup for them. They will broadcast the Olympics as part of the NBC Family. Comcast is committed to encroaching on ESPN. They've seen ESPN's profit growth. I rate the BE contract a must have for them. It remains the bright spot in realignment. With a Western and Eastern Division they can broadcast 3 games on Saturdays and/or promote 1 game to NBC.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Versus is being rebranded in January as the NBC Sports Network.

They have NHL Hockey, Major League Soccer, Indy Car Series, Mountain West Football, Notre Dame reruns and ND classic games, Tour de France, D-League, and various fight shows.

BE basketball would be a coup for them. They will broadcast the Olympics as part of the NBC Family. Comcast is committed to encroaching on ESPN. They've seen ESPN's profit growth. I rate the BE contract a must have for them. It remains the bright spot in realignment. With a Western and Eastern Division they can broadcast 3 games on Saturdays and/or promote 1 game to NBC.
This will most likely be the saving grace for the Big Whatever, whether we, as fans, like it or not. I'm in the camp that believes we should just make the best out of the hand we're dealt with as opposed to worrying about what ifs or fixating on preferences.

It would be the sweetest outcome of all to end up in a better position than those who bailed.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

There is only a grain of truth to Neinas's statements. And imo,that grain is more perception than reality.

Let's presume his statement has merit. He gets what he wants - the invites to walk away.

Let's presume it has no merit. He still gets what he wants - indecision by the invites.

I could be reading too much into this. But the timing disturbs me. In almost every move the BE has taken, or made a proposal to take, the B12 had an anonymous rumor or announcement that undermined the BE. This is just another one imo.

If I'm correct about the rational for his statements it is working. Commentary in this thread is divided. There are several UConn supporters who have capitulated to his spin and are arguing in support of his position. I'm not saying this is wrong or they are wrong in doing it. I'm saying if we're doing it, the invites have to be doing it.

Smart move by Neinas.

RS9999X

Reaction Score
Ask Neinas for the highest ranked Texas team in the BCS. Houston!

And worse, ask for the highest ranked Texas team in the B12. Baylor! After today's polls Bevo will be dust.

TCU might pass Baylor in the polls.

BCS Guru Projections (11/13)

1. LSU,
2. Oklahoma State,
3. Alabama,
4. Oregon,
5. Oklahoma,
6. Arkansas,
7. Stanford,
8. Clemson,
9. Boise State,
10. Virginia Tech,