Bottom Line Synthesis from Neinas | The Boneyard

Bottom Line Synthesis from Neinas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"But Neinas said something similar to the regents. “We shouldn’t have to go out to the Fiesta Bowl and play Connecticut,” the source said Neinas said. UConn last season won a tiebreaker for the Big East’s automatic BCS berth, despite an 8-4 overall record. The Sooners beat the Huskies 48-20."

http://blog.newsok.com/berrytramel/2011/11/10/big-12-football-chuck-neinas-is-set-on-10-schools/

I really think having us in the Fiesta Bowl got a lot of people thinking, and what they were thinking is that Connecticut should not be in the Fiesta Bowl. In other words, the Big East has to go. Not to take this personally, I don't think Neinas wants to see the ACC champ (unless it is Clemson, VT, FSU, and at the very worst, Miami) in his beloved Fiesta Bowl either. He doesn't want to see ACC champion Maryland in his bowl. Or B1G champ Purdue or Iowa, if that should come to pass. It's about maintaining traditional positionings, I say that without any sarcasm. We have to win our way in to the old boy network in the same manner that Virginia Tech has managed to do it. Boise State is trying hard. That's the only way to do it and we have just as good a chance as any other team in the lower half of the FBS. But it's a lot of work, and the state and program has to be committed to it. I think we are.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
"But Neinas said something similar to the regents. “We shouldn’t have to go out to the Fiesta Bowl and play Connecticut,” the source said Neinas said. UConn last season won a tiebreaker for the Big East’s automatic BCS berth, despite an 8-4 overall record. The Sooners beat the Huskies 48-20."

http://blog.newsok.com/berrytramel/2011/11/10/big-12-football-chuck-neinas-is-set-on-10-schools/

I really think having us in the Fiesta Bowl got a lot of people thinking, and what they were thinking is that Connecticut should not be in the Fiesta Bowl. In other words, the Big East has to go. Not to take this personally, I don't think Neinas wants to see the ACC champ (unless it is Clemson, VT, FSU, and at the very worst, Miami) in his beloved Fiesta Bowl either. He doesn't want to see ACC champion Maryland in his bowl. Or B1G champ Purdue or Iowa, if that should come to pass. It's about maintaining traditional positionings, I say that without any sarcasm. We have to win our way in to the old boy network in the same manner that Virginia Tech has managed to do it. Boise State is trying hard. That's the only way to do it and we have just as good a chance as any other team in the lower half of the FBS. But it's a lot of work, and the state and program has to be committed to it. I think we are.
I do think our performance as a team and a fan base at the Fiesta Bowl hurt us more in potential realignment than that fat ass Defilippo. Our inability to sell tickets was widely reported everywhere. And a lot of that falls in Hathaway's lap for failing to subsidize students, etc.

Reaction Score
I do think our performance as a team and a fan base at the Fiesta Bowl hurt us more in potential realignment than that fat ass Defilippo. Our inability to sell tickets was widely reported everywhere. And a lot of that falls in Hathaway's lap for failing to subsidize students, etc.
I think its more systemic than just that. We kind of have to go "renegade" like Miami did in the 70's. Once you get there, like the Kennedys did, everyone forgets how you got there.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Everybody conveniently forgets that VTech lost by exactly the same margin of victory, and if UConn had gone to the Orange and Stanford to the Fiesta, we would have had two much better games.

Most of the Big 12 won't go for Neinas' proposal. Kansas or KState would never go to a BCS game again if they made all the bids at-large.

Reaction Score
Everybody conveniently forgets that VTech lost by exactly the same margin of victory, and if UConn had gone to the Orange and Stanford to the Fiesta, we would have had two much better games.

Most of the Big 12 won't go for Neinas' proposal. Kansas or KState would never go to a BCS game again if they made all the bids at-large.
and that Oklahoma lost money on tix as well but not selling there allotment. But that the Big 12 subsidizes their teams for tickets so it doesn't show as a loss.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Any comment about UConn not selling their allotment that doesn't mention the fact that tickets to the game were practically being given away is bogus. There were plenty of UConn fans there that we aren't being given credit for. Like muntz said, if the game was in Florida with no secondary ticket market, UConn would be lauded today.

Reaction Score
Oh, you mean we didn't buy their special tickets when you could buy better seats for 10% of what they wanted? The whole system is CORRUPT.

Reaction Score
It's not about tickets! it's about having to play UConn instead of a "good" program. and by good I mean a name program that matters in football. He is insulted that they had to play 8-4 UConn not that UConn couldn't sell tickets. He wouldnt have minded an 8-4 Florida State so much

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
It's not about tickets! it's about having to play UConn instead of a "good" program. and by good I mean a name program that matters in football. He is insulted that they had to play 8-4 UConn not that UConn couldn't sell tickets. He wouldnt have minded an 8-4 Florida State so much
+1

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I think this thread went on a tangent to the salient point of that article - the B12 is vulnerable and has internal tensions.

The article claims that the B12 will have ten teams next year with TCU and WV. Most likely they will only have nine, because Missouri and A&M are gone and only TCU will be available.

Texas wants only ten teams and imo they are not willing to concede this point. So Neinas's discussion about the BCS and all the leaked sources about Louisville are the B12's attempts to put doubt into the invitees and the remaining BE schools, both the football and bb onlies.

They are hoping to deep six the conference, because they believe this is the only way to get WV next year.

The big question is will the BE invites and current schools hesitate because of these B12 public announcements?

If this thread is indicative of what the representatives of these schools choose to consider, the B12 will succeed. My hope is they get the royal finger from all the BE parties and things resume with the BE getting the teams they invited. My guess is the B12 will end up breaking down and the BE will be one of the five surviving conferences.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I don't buy this. The BB tournament is set up with a 1 vs. 16, 2 vs. 15 and so on format and the power schools don't complain. The SEC plays KU or whatever bottom feeders every year and no one cares. All this bluster out of the B12 is diversionary to throw the BE off balance. And anyone who is apologetic will weigh the faults of their programs greater than the positives. This is what the B12 is hoping all the participating current BE and invitees to the BE will also start doing. And they are doing this to sabotage the BE so that they can get WV next season. They could give a darn about who they play in the future in the BCS. That money is unimportant compared to the media contract that WV will give them next season.

Keep your eye on the ball in this game of B12 machinations.

Reaction Score
Oklahoma shouldn't have to go to a BCS bowl to play a Big East team. They might lose, after all. As they did in the Sugar Bowl.

Reaction Score
I suspect that you are both right to some degree. Had an 8-4 Pitt or an 8-4 West Virginia been the BE bowl rep, you wouldn't have heard this crap, but his real reason is to try and protect the B-12 which is almost as unstable as the Big East.

Reaction Score
I don't think this was just a ticket issue. I also don't think it's a conspiracy to undermine the big east. It would be like us having a good year, and having to play Towson State in our bowl game. Long and short of it.

Reaction Score
I don't think this was just a ticket issue. I also don't think it's a conspiracy to undermine the big east. It would be like us having a good year, and having to play Towson State in our bowl game. Long and short of it.
But would we win? ;)

Reaction Score
I was at the Fiesta Bowl last year. There were numerous other Connecticut people living in the Phoenix area in attendence. Who gets credit for us being there? By the way in my mind(and in the mind of Sooner fans near us) until the early 4th qtr iterception we still had a shot. I've seen many bowl games .
more one sided than last years Fiesta Bowl.

Reaction Score
Reading the comments in the article I found these interesting. " Let’s not forget that in addition to being ACTING commissioner, he is also a paid consultant to the Mountain West and Conference USA. " And "Considering that it was the consulting group run by Neinas that put together the C-USA and Mountian West merger, isn’t he kinda talking out of both sides of his mouth." Sorry if this was posted before. http://www.neinassports.com/

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I disagree. I think he'd be happy to play a one or even 2 loss UConn. You're all being too sensitive. His point is that no 8-4 team belongs in a BCS bowl, and it's a very valid point. Oklahoma State is certainly not one of the big names. But if they get to a BCS bowl it will be with a deserving record.

Reaction Score
I disagree. I think he'd be happy to play a one or even 2 loss UConn. You're all being too sensitive. His point is that no 8-4 team belongs in a BCS bowl, and it's a very valid point. Oklahoma State is certainly not one of the big names. But if they get to a BCS bowl it will be with a deserving record.

In that case, we've had multiple 4 loss teams in the BCS.

Reaction Score
Reading the comments in the article I found these interesting. " Let’s not forget that in addition to being ACTING commissioner, he is also a paid consultant to the Mountain West and Conference USA. " And "Considering that it was the consulting group run by Neinas that put together the C-USA and Mountian West merger, isn’t he kinda talking out of both sides of his mouth." Sorry if this was posted before. http://www.neinassports.com/
He's also the same paid consultant that Hathaway hired to help him do a search to replace Edsall.

Reaction Score
I was at the Fiesta Bowl last year. There were numerous other Connecticut people living in the Phoenix area in attendence. Who gets credit for us being there? By the way in my mind(and in the mind of Sooner fans near us) until the early 4th qtr iterception we still had a shot. I've seen many bowl games .
more one sided than last years Fiesta Bowl.

i always get frustrated when people talk about us getting steamrolled. we were driving well into their territory down only 2 scores when Frazer threw an interception and made it look worse than it was. if i recall the int bounced right out of our WRs hands into theirs for a long return.

either way, Neinas can suck it. his beloved Fiesta Bowl is a cess pool filled with everything that's wrong with the college postseason

Reaction Score
Yes, we were driving to cut it to a 1 score game, Zach threw a catchable ball to Difton who bobbled it right into the OU DB's hands. It was lights out after that. I'm not saying we would've won if that didn't happen, but it definitely impacted the final score.

On the ticket sales questions, I was there and UConn easily had more than 10k fans there. The OU fans we tailgates next to, after the game, even commented on the turnout for UConn being much more than they expected (after reading we hadn't sold many tix thru the school).

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
In that case, we've had multiple 4 loss teams in the BCS.
Right. And none belonged. UConn last year was just a fresh example.

Reaction Score
Right. And none belonged. UConn last year was just a fresh example.

Why didn't they belong?

If you believe that, then the WAC teams that have made it don't belong. Why give credit to teams with easy schedules? What's the difference between 4 losses in a tough league and 1 loss in a hard league?

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Why didn't they belong?

If you believe that, then the WAC teams that have made it don't belong. Why give credit to teams with easy schedules? What's the difference between 4 losses in a tough league and 1 loss in a hard league?

Who says the Big East is a tough league? Not that the WAC is better than the BE- it isn't. But the Big East isn't exactly the AFC North.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom