Bottom Line: Someone has to go | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Bottom Line: Someone has to go

Reaction Score
I’ll keep my season tickets until they put a wooden stake through the program’s heart. But, I’ll also call for heads to roll until they get this right. Crocker and entire D staff must go. Randy gets one season to get to 5 wins or he has to go. We can’t continue to tolerate this garbage. Watched Colgate Army game and Colgate’s linebackers are high quality, physical players that make ours look like grade schoolers. Colgate has nothing like our facilities, is located officially in the middle of nowhere, and recruits better than us. Buffalo is a second rate hell hole out recruiting us, and the list goes on and on. This crap has to stop.

Reaction Score
We would grab our coach if we won too....

The UCONN players, not the SMU players. They really liked playing for Lashlee. Wish he was still here - but with a head coach who understands today’s game.

Reaction Score
Buffalo is 9-2. While the AAC > MAC, the Bulls have beaten Temple (36-29) and Rutgers (42-13) earlier this year. We will get to compare a common opponent next weekend after we are ultimately crushed by Temple. They recruit the same geographic area we do but in a worse conference.

Cincinnati is in year 2 of Luke Fickell and they're already ranked and loaded. How is it that UC - aside from one bad Tuberville hire - can find good football coach after good football coach and we can't? Yes, OH recruiting is better than northeast recruiting. But UC has demonstrated time and time again that they have the football infrastructure in-place to be a strong contender to be Notre Dame's ACC +1 or on the Big 12 expansion list.

While Syracuse is in the ACC, they are in the same recruiting geography we are and were the easiest W on our old Big East schedule year in and year out. Now, they are ranked thanks to a great head coach hire. I have no idea if Babers will stay in Syracuse long-term, but he's paid at the bottom level of ACC coaches (around $2.5M/yr) and that salary sits firmly within a financial ballpark that we have to operate in (and most of our AAC schools already operate in).

UAB, Utah State, Fresno State, Army, Appalachian State, Temple, Troy, and Northern Illinois are all G5 schools that have been in the top 25 or flirted with a top 25 ranking at some point this season.

UConn doesn't need to be a national championship contender in football to be considered a P5 school/athletic department. It just needs to be in the mediocre bowl game tier and we are FAR from that tier right now.
Agreed

Reaction Score
The UCONN players, not the SMU players. They really liked playing for Lashlee. Wish he was still here - but with a head coach who understands today’s game.

My bad.. yes the uconn players did go out if their way to see Lashlee

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I said this in the other post but I’ll say it again here...at a reception before last Sunday’s mens game, when I asked Benedict if he was concerned that the defense is not improving at all he said if after 5 years we don’t show improvement, then he will be concerned. I’ll repeat - 5 years. And that’s just to show improvement. Not necessarily to be good. He also gave Crocker a vote of confidence. Doesn’t sound like Crocker or anyone else is going anywhere.

Benedict is out of here the first time he can get a P5 job and itll be in way less than 5 years. Ain't his problem, he don't care.

C

Chief00

While I wouldn’t lose any significant sleep if Edsall moved on (though I’m not sure that is the right move and think he gets at least another year)... there will likely be sacrificial lamb/scapegoat changes to staff @ the end of the year.
Agree.

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, I would replace Edsall with Lashlee but I don’t see that happening.
Would be a fantastic move. But, we’ve burned that bridge to the ground.

Reaction Score
Seriously? Do you think Matt Ruhle was happy in Philadelphia? For young coaches it’s about the opportunity. Clearly, it wasn’t there for Lashlee in CT under Edsall. Lack of sunshine and family happiness is a convenient excuse. Our loss.

Reaction Score
Seriously? Do you think Matt Ruhle was happy in Philadelphia?

Actually he was... he had family in PA/NY and spent 9 years @ Temple after growing up in State College. PA was home.

Reaction Score
Actually he was... he had family in PA/NY and spent 9 years @ Temple after growing up in State College. PA was home.

I know. But Temple was not his final goal - my point. A good young coach, make his career statement, and move to the next opportunity. Building his career.

Reaction Score
I know. But Temple was not his final goal - my point. A good young coach, make his career statement, and move to the next opportunity. Building his career.

... and CT was never going to be Lashlee's final goal/stop. Never. I would have bet when he was hired he would never finish his 3 years. He was a born and raised southern boy and was always going to return to his roots. Rhule was happy in Philly and would have stayed in Philly if P5 dollars didn’t come calling.

I get your point about upward mobility but maybe Rhule was just a bad example because he (and family) was comfortable in the geography.

Reaction Score
Buffalo is 9-2. While the AAC > MAC, the Bulls have beaten Temple (36-29) and Rutgers (42-13) earlier this year. We will get to compare a common opponent next weekend after we are ultimately crushed by Temple. They recruit the same geographic area we do but in a worse conference.

Cincinnati is in year 2 of Luke Fickell and they're already ranked and loaded. How is it that UC - aside from one bad Tuberville hire - can find good football coach after good football coach and we can't? Yes, OH recruiting is better than northeast recruiting. But UC has demonstrated time and time again that they have the football infrastructure in-place to be a strong contender to be Notre Dame's ACC +1 or on the Big 12 expansion list.

While Syracuse is in the ACC, they are in the same recruiting geography we are and were the easiest W on our old Big East schedule year in and year out. Now, they are ranked thanks to a great head coach hire. I have no idea if Babers will stay in Syracuse long-term, but he's paid at the bottom level of ACC coaches (around $2.5M/yr) and that salary sits firmly within a financial ballpark that we have to operate in (and most of our AAC schools already operate in).

UAB, Utah State, Fresno State, Army, Appalachian State, Temple, Troy, and Northern Illinois are all G5 schools that have been in the top 25 or flirted with a top 25 ranking at some point this season.

UConn doesn't need to be a national championship contender in football to be considered a P5 school/athletic department. It just needs to be in the mediocre bowl game tier and we are FAR from that tier right now.
This post is excellent.

Reaction Score
Accountability is an empty word used by emotional people who can't offer any real insight into a potential solution. It translates to "someone do something so I can feel better."

Maybe these coaches are the worst. I don't know. What I do know is that there's zero point in hedging on a bet when you have nothing left to hedge. It's either these guys or it's fold shop.

Reaction Score
Edsall doesn't care anymore(don't think he ever did), he came back for the paycheck! This program is an absolute embarrassment right now and there is no future in sight!

Reaction Score

This sums it all up! None of these schools have the facilities UConn has, none! Also, UConn has no competition in the State. And other than BC, no other competitor in the region, yet Holy Cross and Rhode Island two New England FCS schools take us down to the wire. The recruiting here has been awful, yet we want to put the blame on conference and region. It’s been the ineptitude of the coaches to get the right players here and in Diaco’s case a total inability to build, maintain, and run a program, including game time decisions.

C

Chief00

Would be a fantastic move. But, we’ve burned that bridge to the ground.

In college football if a coordinator in the same conference is offered a head coach job - my guess is he takes it. Those opportunities are too rare. Having said that, I agree it is unlikely to happen.

Reaction Score
While I wouldn’t lose any significant sleep if Edsall moved on (though I’m not sure that is the right move and think he gets at least another year)... there will likely be sacrificial lamb/scapegoat changes to staff @ the end of the year.
I feel bad for who gets the axe.. they were all put in a tough spot with the situation.. it's gotta be a guy on the defensive side of the ball one would think... Unacceptable job recruiting wise IMO... But then again, maybe nobody goes on that side of the ball. Maybe, just maybe, they get one more shot.. This recruiting class has to be way more impactful (JUCO, Prep Route players.... an impactful Grad transfer or 2) in order for them to survive...

Reaction Score
Edsall doesn't care anymore(don't think he ever did), he came back for the paycheck! This program is an absolute embarrassment right now and there is no future in sight!

I'm pretty sure being a "special coordinator" or whatever he was doing at the Detroit Lions was a better/easier job than this one. Sure, the money here is higher, but so is the rage.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
This year has been so bad, and below expectations, (which is hard to do since the expectations weren't exacly high to begin the season; all we expected was not to be the worse team in FBS, but we are actually the wrost team in the history of FBS..) where I'm not sure Randy deserves next year. It kinda feels like it did in Diaco's last season. Most thought it wouldn't happen cause of X, Y, and Z, but then it did. Most people, myself included, feel Randy gets at least one more year to show improvement, but I have lost confidence we will be any better next season. Maybe its just better to cut our losses and start over (once again). And pay the coach real FBS money!

Reaction Score
This year has been so bad, and below expectations, (which is hard to do since the expectations weren't exacly high to begin the season; all we expected was not to be the worse team in FBS, but we are actually the wrost team in the history of FBS..) where I'm not sure Randy deserves next year. It kinda feels like it did in Diaco's last season. Most thought it wouldn't happen cause of X, Y, and Z, but then it did. Most people, myself included, feel Randy gets at least one more year to show improvement, but I have lost confidence we will be any better next season. Maybe its just better to cut our losses and start over (once again). And pay the coach real FBS money!
The problem with that argument is start over with who? What legitimate FBS coach is going to jump at the UConn job right now?

Unfortunately, I think the best path forward is to fire the entire coaching staff on the defensive side and pray for improvement next season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom